1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Roof Rack Showdown - Prinsu vs Southern Style Offroad

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by Agent_Outside, Feb 18, 2019.

1. Jul 8, 2021 at 2:32 PM
    Crossfit4Runner

Crossfit4Runner New Member

Member:
    Saint Louis
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Off Road Permium
    To many to list
    I just ordered a SSO during their 4th sale.

2. Feb 20, 2022 at 7:36 AM
    Rodo

Rodo New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rodolfo
    Vehicle:
    1999 3500 Ram 24 valves Dually
    @Agent_Outside [OP] I had to sign in to tell you Thank you!!!

I have to also tell you, one day, I would like to make reviews as you did!

This reviewed shall be studied by anyone that wants to grow as a person in several fields. In one of those fields is to perfect their products. This two Owners of Prinsu SSO should sit, read, and humbly appreciate the favor you've done for them. I don't know if they've done it but they should.

You just wrote by experience for free and painfully how they can elevate their reputation and earnings by meticulously review each department involved in the fabrication, separation, quality control, customer service and scripts they shall use so all, stay in one page, for instance if per day Mary attended you first day, they should allow Mary to continue attending you all the way to the end unless you requested a superior above her to attend your calls or concerns. They should have among them a Team Leader capable to pick up after Mary and do his/her everything by writing down all your concerns so you don't have to go from one brand to the other and they both had a free of charge premium review they seriously need to take advantage of.

Then if all went good with the Team Leader you wouldn't need to go to the Customer Service Boss nor the Owner although the Owner should be one that Owns to perfection all operations. I know, am asking too much but if they do, they'll try as well to create little "mini them" so they have others under them to take care of you or any customer in case an issue arise and there's a request to talk to them. Here's where they also need to work on, they need to gently every time you or any customer request "may I speak with your Supervisor or Superior they gently, shall pass the call to their Superior. Why? Because that will make them to get better.

Then their Superiors shall try to treat all nicely if possible to help them get better unless they can't get it so although I recommend all to treat each other nicely, they may take other measures to employees that aren't performing as expected which can include always first opportunities to be retrained, refreshed etc. I'm not a friend of throwing away an employee just because he made a mistake or some, we should try to help all to get better but in the mean time that's where Superiors should enter the scene, take care of you for good and, if for whatever reason at the end of all efforts there's this review, they seriously shall seat, study this, this is not a joke, this is millions of dollars in that piece of paper. You're giving away millions, maybe billions, so my utmost respects to you, my apologies for the suffering they caused while you were sorry to say this but, scheduled a vacation without having this expected product so my recommendation to you besides trying to sell your millionaire's services is, try to get your most needed products before scheduling events. Then once you have all the required to make it, you'll stress less I think.

Seriously, if this two corporations just pay a little attention to this review, they'll go into the millions or billions of Dollars. Thank you for such Master Review! Make a greater day!!!

3. Feb 20, 2022 at 2:20 PM
    Crossfit4Runner

Member:
    Saint Louis
    Vehicle:
    To many to list
    I bought a SSO Full Rack after reading the review. I love the rack but the wind noise is crazy bad. Are you experiencing that? It seems to be hitting right where the controls are in the head liner. It’s almost got me taking it off and going back to stock.

4. Feb 28, 2022 at 11:25 AM
    Billyrides

Billyrides New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Billy
    St. Charles MO
    Vehicle:
    2015 SR5P
    Fuel Tactic wheels 17x9, -12, 275/70/17 Wildpeaks, Diode Dynamics LEDs, Cali Raised LED Molle panels, Pedal Commander, 6112/5100 (6-4), Bilstein rear springs
  5. Feb 28, 2022 at 11:57 AM
    Crossfit4Runner

Member:
    Saint Louis
    Vehicle:
    To many to list
    Nope. I’m thinking about putting some sound damper under my head liner. I looking to see how hard it is to remove.

6. Feb 28, 2022 at 12:01 PM
    Agent_Outside

Agent_Outside [OP] A Guy A Girl and A Trail

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Built 2011 T4R Limited
    Spiral a bungee around around front crossbars and see if it’s enough change for you guys.

Crossfit4Runner likes this.
  7. Feb 28, 2022 at 2:29 PM
    Crossfit4Runner

Member:
    Saint Louis
    Vehicle:
    To many to list
    I know I’m being stupid but could you clarify please?

8. Mar 4, 2022 at 12:28 PM
    Buster562

Buster562 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Busturr (Natalie)
    Long Beach, CA and Mohave Valley, AZ
    Vehicle:
    HANK, yes I named him. 2018 TRD OffRoad.
    Always a work in progress. Pretty sure I buy some new gadget every time I head out on a trip. Kings w/bypass shocks. Total Chaos upper and lower control arms. Shock Seals rear springs. Method Wheels. BFG All Terrains. SSO front bumper and roof rack. Cali Raised ditch lights and rock sliders. Heise light bar on bumper. Aftermarket roof rack light bar. PCI Radio. RAM mounts for various gadgets. ARB dual air compressor. RAGO battery and secondary battery mounts. Dometic fridge and slide. Auxiliary battery for the fridge and gadgets. CVT Mt Hood RTT. Rago cargo storage panels. Westcott rear hatch ladder. Upgraded rear hatch shocks and rear amber from Amazon, Anytime backup FRONT camera with switch. Lots of trail racing stripes. :(
    Great write up. I already own a SSO roof rack but was curious what you had to say. I have only had great experiences with SSO. I’ve got their slimline front bumper too. I’ve used my rack for so many things! I’ve bombed through Baja with shit mounted to the top, mounted kayaks to it, and it now holds my CVT Mt Hood RTT. Hands down one of my favorites bolt on’s.

9. Mar 4, 2022 at 2:45 PM
    Agent_Outside

Agent_Outside [OP] A Guy A Girl and A Trail

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Built 2011 T4R Limited

If you look at a modern cars with long fixed antenna it’s typically a metal rod with a wire spiral wrapped around it.

9CA9FDD7-6DC2-45BC-B6D7-71BAAE451F51.jpg

The purpose of that wore is to break up the airflow that causes noise.

Lots of higher end crossbar type roof racks use strips of rubber inserts along the top that that has the diagonal raised pattern to serve the same purpose.

33714D75-0C75-49DC-9A87-6F190A9A1332.jpg

You can mimic that same thing with some cable or a bungee or whatever and wrap the crossbar at the front or the ones near the sunroof, preferably with something rubberized so it stays in place.

10. Mar 4, 2022 at 6:05 PM
    K-Paul

K-Paul Looking for a water crossing

Member:
    First Name:
    Corbin Dallas
    Vehicle:
    SR5 4WD
    This article was written three years ago. Both products have changed for the better. The article is terribly outdated

I have a Prinsu and its awesome. The rack shipped with no defects. its handled at least 200 lbs worth of gear without counting my light bar and its the best purchase I have made outside of my lift kit.

I cant speak for SSO, but if you are using this article to make your decision, the current Prinsu rack is significantly different from the one in this article.

11. Mar 7, 2022 at 11:32 PM
    zawale

zawale New Member

Member:
    When I was first deciding on a rack, I was completely stuck debating whether to get the Prinsu or SSO. Both are great looking racks, and don't add too much height to the 4R. I ended up getting the SSO and loved it. The one thing I did miss though was the adjustability that the Prinsu gives.
    Also, to touch on the wind noise issue. I have sensitive hearing so I get annoyed easily by things like rattling or wind noise, but I rarely ran into that issue with the SSO rack. The very few times I did was either with crazy crosswinds or when the rack was fully loaded, but other than that pretty much 0 noise issues.

Side note.. I am currently selling my SSO after selling my 5th gen so if anyone is interested send me a DM!

12. Mar 8, 2022 at 8:02 AM
    Crossfit4Runner

Member:
    Saint Louis
    Vehicle:
    To many to list
    I’m thinking this is the cause of my wind noise. With the wind taking the path of least resistance. It seems to me this slight deflection down is sending the wind right at the cross bar. I did the rubber cord wrap around my first bar and that seems to have helped. I’ll know more after my upcoming road trip.

F88111A9-30C5-40D8-87CA-9DC27CF19DFB.jpg

Products Discussed in

To Top