1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rolls forward on reverse gear

Discussion in '3rd Gen 4Runners (1996-2002)' started by Manchacan, Jun 10, 2014.

1. Jun 10, 2014 at 12:40 PM
    Manchacan

Manchacan [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2000 SR5
    My 2000 SR5 rolls forward on a down hill slope when I put it in reverse (automatic trans). I know that in a severe slope the engine torque by itself will not be enough to keep it from rolling, but this occurs on even a low slope driveway and I don't even feel resistance. It's like I have it in neutral. When I apply the gas or the brake it's fine, but once I release, it begins to move. My mechanic said it was normal, but I've had it for about ten years and never noticed it until I was trying to hitch up my camper. Any ideas?

2. Jun 12, 2014 at 6:48 AM
    Manchacan

Manchacan [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2000 SR5
    Never mind. I couldn't duplicate the problem. I hope it doesn't mean my transmission is going out.

3. Jun 12, 2014 at 8:43 PM
    Kryptoroxx

Kryptoroxx New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Vehicle:
    98 3rz 4x4 5spd
    99 coils, monstaliner, headers, exhaust, intake, CB, inverter, auto mirror
    If there were anything to go out it would be your torque converter.....but that is unlikely. Your tc is what transfers torque into the tranny and acts somewhat like an automatic clutch. Tc's work off of rpm so what it was probably was a period of low rpms due to your a/c kicking on or your fan clutch engaging and your rpms were not high enough to fully engage the torque converter.

Products Discussed in

To Top