1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rock Light Mounting Locations

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by rageandlove, Dec 30, 2020.

1. Dec 30, 2020 at 9:30 AM
    rageandlove

rageandlove [OP] New Member

Member:
    Anyone mounted rock lights under their 4Runner? I'd like to more for ambient light when camping than trail use, although if I'm going to the trouble I'd like them to be functional for use when on trails at night.

Has anyone figured out a place to mount rock lights up front that doesn't require drilling?

Last edited: Mar 30, 2024
  2. Apr 29, 2021 at 12:55 PM
    JRod0981

JRod0981 New Member

Member:
    I've been looking at this now. I have a 6 pod kit and can't decide on locations as well. Was thinking two on the sliders for each side. One behind the front tire, one in front of the rear tire and then one on the rear bumper for each side. Replicated exactly for the other side of the vehicle. I like the idea of having the ones on the rear bumper for camping and additional light back there when cooking out of the tailgate and such.

Can't decide if I should go one on the front bumper/frame so the light should be in front of the front tire, one in the middle somewhere on the slider, and then one in the rear bumper area. Or if I should just return my kit and get an 8 pod kit with 4 lights on each side (2 in front and behind of each tire).

3. Apr 30, 2021 at 7:41 AM
    JRod0981

JRod0981 New Member

Member:
    Yeah, I have seen that write up. It's a nice one and I would replicate that if I did the 6 light kit. The lights I bought are not as nice as the Baja ones in terms of light output but still good. I think if going to 6 light the light output needs to be even better. I just had a hard time justifying spending a lot on rock lights so I had bought the Pro Comp ones as a good mid range light.

I might table this for now too as it's been a pain in the butt trying to get motivated to wire these as well.

4. Apr 30, 2021 at 9:12 AM
    JRod0981

JRod0981 New Member

Member:
    What lights did you end up going with?

5. May 27, 2022 at 10:04 AM
    70in4Lo

70in4Lo New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    22 4runner ORP
    How did you run the wire from your roof rack? I have an upTOP rack with cutouts but wondering where to run the wire into the cab for the switch?

6. May 27, 2022 at 11:06 AM
    Bodie the Dog

Bodie the Dog New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 4runner TEP, 1994 SR5
    Toytec 3/2 lift, Shrockworks sliders, Shrockworks rear bumper, ARB diff mod, 8 pod RGB LED's, RCI steel front skids, Big Sky katana rack, Reese roof rack
    I have a write up on how I did mine at the other 4runner site, although I can't find it now, maybe because they banned me, lol. Here's a link to a series of photos on IMGUR showing what I did: https://imgur.com/4iYaU1c

I have an 8 pod, and would recommend that many at a minimum. Six is barely enough for coverage intended to be functional, as you'll want light pointing in front and behind each wheel. I made some crappy little brackets that I stuck to my frame using 3M Marine Adhesive, because I didn't want to drill any holes in my frame, and as lights go bad, I can easily bolt/unbolt them to those brackets. If you're using them for campsite lighting, then yeah, you'll want to mount them up higher. They look sick above the wheels, in the wheel well, but that really isn't functional. I also wish I'd put an extra light inside my truck near the driver,so I could easily tell what color scheme I'm using without having to roll down my window and look out. Here's my basic placement, but follow the link for more. It's also important to use heat shielding, lol.

lightposition.jpg
    LED Rock.jpg

led bracket.jpg
    led2.jpg

Last edited: May 28, 2022
    playdixie and 2Toys like this.
  7. May 27, 2022 at 11:25 AM
    70in4Lo

70in4Lo New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    22 4runner ORP
    Thats amazing! I'm not quite to the point where I'm doing anything under the rig yet, Mostly putting 4 around the rack up top. How did you run your wire into the cab/to the battery?

8. Sep 29, 2023 at 11:59 AM
    Bodie the Dog

Bodie the Dog New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 4runner TEP, 1994 SR5
    Toytec 3/2 lift, Shrockworks sliders, Shrockworks rear bumper, ARB diff mod, 8 pod RGB LED's, RCI steel front skids, Big Sky katana rack, Reese roof rack
    Sweet install! I used magnets to hold mine in place temporarily while the adhesive set. I dig the separate switch idea. Can't wait to lose some lights so I can upgrade to a 12 pod!

Products Discussed in

To Top