1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Road Trip Advice!

Discussion in '3rd Gen 4Runners (1996-2002)' started by MandoNutz, Apr 12, 2021.

1. Apr 12, 2021 at 3:50 PM
    MandoNutz

MandoNutz [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2000 4runner limited 162K
    Hello again!
    So to make this as simple as i can i plan on taking a road trip with the fam here in early June. we'll be traveling from central Texas to Montana, Idaho, Oregon, & Washington. Ive calculated the trip to be around 4k-5k miles by the time we return for a total of 9 days. With that being said my question for yall is should i replace my timing chain and since im there the serpentine belts and water pump aswell? Maybe someone has gone on a similar road trip without doing these things with no problems? other than that any other things yall reccomend i check ? besides the obvious (oil/fluids, tires)
    Thanks for yalls time any info is appreciated!

2000 Limited 2WD, 165k

2. Apr 12, 2021 at 4:44 PM
    Trekker

Trekker Regular Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1997 3rz 5spd
    Timing chain? Only the 4 cylinder engine used a timing chain, you probably mean belt. If your already replacing the timing belt its normal to replace the water pump. The belt is done either by miles or time, which ever comes first. If you will surpass the mile interval that you should do a timing belt it would be a good idea to play it safe and change it. Don't know about the serpentine belts. Make sure that your tires are inflated to the correct PSI, and it would be a good idea to change the oil.

In the mountainous parts of Oregon you might put your car through some of the most stressful driving imaginable. Last year I was driving through Oregon's steep mountain passes at highway speed in 100 degree weather with the AC on. So make sure your cooling systems work, you'll need them. Other than that you should be fine.

SlvrSlug likes this.
  3. Apr 13, 2021 at 8:24 AM
    mousemeat

mousemeat New Member

Member:
    Memphis, TN.
    Vehicle:
    1997 4 runner limited
    upgraded suspension, large all terrain tires
    yup..if you can, I would replace the belt and water pump..play it safe..nothing worse than breaking down on the road, in the middle of nowhere

4. Apr 13, 2021 at 8:28 AM
    shellshock

shellshock Lost guy from tacomaworld

Member:
    Iowa
    Rule number 1 of big trips is no major changes before a trip

Check / change fluids. Make sure tires are good. Enjoy your trip. You’ll be fine.

Products Discussed in

To Top