1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Replaced Valve Cover Gaskets, Now Dash Cluster Not Working

Discussion in '4th Gen 4Runners (2003-2009)' started by gingersnap, Feb 12, 2024.

1. Feb 12, 2024 at 7:04 AM
    gingersnap

gingersnap [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lexi
    Vehicle:
    2003 4Runner V6 4.0L
    Hello everyone,
    This is my first time posting so I will do my best to include all of the information I have.

Last night, I replaced my oil, oil filter, and valve cover gaskets on my 03 4Runner. I followed a YouTube video of the same gen 4runner and didn't have any problems locating bolts, unplugging ports, or anything.

I did all of this in my driveway - the problem I'm most concerned with is after I drained the oil, it started to rain (rain wasn't forecasted until like 10pm, and at this point it was about 5pm). I also don't have a tarp so I found some big blankets and propped the blankets up surrounding the hood of the car. It was surprisingly well protected, but I fear some water droplets have caused water damage somewhere on the driver's side under the hood.

There weren't any issues reassembling everything after the valve cover gaskets. The car started up just fine and drove fine too. I thought my dash cluster lights were just off, but when I took a closer look they weren't working at all. The cluster gauges are all below the zero line and don't move, so I can't see my speed, revs, engine temp, or fuel. The cluster that shows my range and mpg lights work, but the range reads "--" instead of an actual number now.

We checked the fuses in the fuse box and the one under the dash, but they were all fine and the fuse box was completely dry. We also disconnected the battery negative terminal for about 15 minutes - the ground wire didn't look corroded. Reconnected the battery and no change. The lights in the dash cluster weren't close to needing to be replaced, either. They weren't dimming or dimmed before starting this work.

I just don't know where to go from here. Is there some magical port I may have forgotten to plug in? Could I need a new fuse box? Any advice or troubleshooting tips would be greatly appreciated. This is the car I use to take to college.

2. Feb 12, 2024 at 2:01 PM
    RonT4R

RonT4R New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Virginia Beach
    Vehicle:
    2007 4runner SR5 4WD
    I cleaned my interior once and accidentally turned the lights of with the dimmer switch on the left side on the dash. :hattip:

3. Feb 13, 2024 at 7:41 AM
    gingersnap

gingersnap [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lexi
    Vehicle:
    2003 4Runner V6 4.0L
    Mine wasn't as easy as the dimmer switch, but I did fix it!

Completely forgot there was a ground cable on the back of the driver's side valve cover. It was tightened, but the connector wasn't making any contact with the bolt holding it in place. Tightened it back up with contact, rechecked my instrument panel fuses, and voila!

RonT4R, AuSeeker and xtremewlr like this.
  4. Feb 16, 2024 at 3:00 PM
    ihate4runners

ihate4runners New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    diesel
    v10 tdi
    hi. I recently worked on a vehicle with the same issues. a blue 4runner with a liqui moly license plate cover came in for precisely the same concerns you are facing! WHAT ARE THE ODDS! here is what I did :)
    1. check all fuses and locations. found fuse in wrong position.

J/B fuse was misplaced, but not my much! Checked windows and trunk and ALL IS GOOD. women these days! KIDDING!

anyways, car was fixed and customer is happy!

Products Discussed in

To Top