1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Remove back interior panels

Discussion in '2nd Gen 4Runners (1990-1995)' started by Kazter Troy, Sep 20, 2020.

1. Sep 20, 2020 at 5:00 PM
    Kazter Troy

Kazter Troy [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    95 v6 4x4 z
    Hey Runners. I need to remove the back interior side panels to do some speaker tweeking. I don't want to bust anything.
    1995 4x4 v-6.
    Ps. Any aftermarket speaker upgrade ( like under seat ) info would be awesome . It has a pro installed Alpine system . I just want to add a 10" and a smallamp for only the 10 . Any help or experience ...
    Thanks !

2. Sep 20, 2020 at 6:42 PM
    trlhiker

trlhiker Lazy Bum

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1992 4Runner SR5 V6 4X4
    You need to remove the top center piece, it pulls out. And the bottom piece that runs between each side. It screws in. I don't recall any screws holding the sides in, believe they are all pins. Be prepared to break some so have a bunch of extras available. Good luck.

3. Sep 21, 2020 at 7:42 AM
    Fishguy

Fishguy New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    95 4Runner (stock)
    Replaced EGR vacuum modulator!
    I just did this. You are going to LOVE what you find in there!

First, remove the bottom "sill" piece and the overhead center piece (screw behind the light fixture). There are a couple small screws in the top corners of the two side pieces, as I remember, also.

2nd, pull (carefully) around the edges of the panels. There are a couple "pins" in the center of the panels. They will pop out. Some may break. Oh well.

3rd, and, what's this?!? The speakers have their own individual amps. Mine where blown out. I think when the new head unit was installed, they sent an amplified signal to the rear, blowing the amps.

4th, I don't have photos but the speakers are contained in their own enclosures. You gotta remove some adjacent stuff to get them out.

5th, I just clipped the wires and connected the new system's rear speaker wires directly to the speakers.

I thought about it and, honestly, I do not know what speaker upgrades are available. Other forum members probably can help. I just put everything back together before I found more problems. If I was going to keep this '95 I would probably do better speakers but I am going to "flip" it.

20200902_150205.jpg

4. Sep 22, 2020 at 3:25 PM
    bthp223

bthp223 New Member

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    1990 4X4
    That’s a beautiful looking 4Runner fishguy ! Man I love that color.

5. Sep 22, 2020 at 4:00 PM
    Fishguy

Fishguy New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    95 4Runner (stock)
    I put some new Cooper 235 70r15's on it and it looks real good, now.

It is the most rust free 2nd Gen Toyota I have ever seen. A lady from Oregon was on vacation here in Montana. It broke down and she thought it needed a transmission. Leaks, poor acceleration, no go over 3000rpm, etc. Got it for CHEAP.

It didn't need a trans. Re-torqued the trans pan nuts. A blocked cat and a broken EGR Vacuum Modulator were making it run like crap. Fixed those.

Next, a nasty vibration at the transfer case rear output. Damn! Talked to a local 2nd Gen Toyota guru and he said tighten the output shaft nut. Upon inspection it was so loose it would rattle against the "keeper indent". I posted a thread on this subject a week ago or so.

Re-torqued that and its ready to go. As soon as the title clears some college kid is going to get the 4Runner of his dreams.

6. Sep 22, 2020 at 5:37 PM
    bthp223

bthp223 New Member

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    1990 4X4
    I was going to ask but figured it was already gone, I’d consider selling the wife’s ford to make us a 2 4Runner family again. I sure hope the guy appreciates it and you made out pretty good for your efforts.

7. Sep 23, 2020 at 7:47 AM
    Fishguy

Fishguy New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    95 4Runner (stock)
    Not gone, yet. Montana title office is s..l..o..w. If ya, want to come up to Missoula and pick it up. Welcome. $3,500.00

Add another $300.00 and I will drive it to you and fly home.

But, I gotta tell ya: If I was going to keep it I would replace the 3.0V6 with the 3rd gen 3.4V6. Maybe even swap to a 5-speed trans. I am almost sure the 3.0 auto trans will NOT mate up to the 3.4L. Even if it did, why bother? I gotta believe a complete 3.4L and trans would be the way to go.

8. Sep 23, 2020 at 10:21 AM
    trlhiker

trlhiker Lazy Bum

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1992 4Runner SR5 V6 4X4
    You could probably put that on BAT and get twice that amount easily for it.

Products Discussed in

To Top