1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Remote Start

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by TkolRN65, Sep 6, 2019.

1. Sep 6, 2019 at 8:34 PM
    TkolRN65

TkolRN65 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ted
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Off Road
    I’m looking for a good web based remote start for my 2019 TRD Off Road. Don’t want the aftermarket Toyota product as I believe it’s the line-of-sight, limited distance type, though nobody I’ve talked to so far at Toyota seems to be able to confirm or deny that ??!! wth??
    So, wondering if any of you have installed the type you start from your phone, can tell me which brand it is, and perhaps give it a quick review.
    Thanks!
    Ted

2. Sep 6, 2019 at 9:58 PM
    shook

shook New Member

Member:
    Hawaii
    I installed a Directed Electronic alarm\remote start in mine, and a friend's truck. The new systems are modular, especially the digital ones. There are multiple options for control. Basic would be to use your OEM Toyota keyfobs which have very limited range, pretty much as you said, line of sight. Then there's the RF kit which will give you their two way paging remote with up to a mile range. This is the option I went with, and it's a huge upgrade in range from the factory keyfob. It can reach out of line of sight, but you get the best range in wide open areas. Then the last option would be their SmartStart system which is web based with a monthly, or yearly subscription. This options adds GPS to be able to track, and control over unlimited range. You download an app to your phone which acts as your remote. Cool thing also is that you can go with one, or all options and have them all work simultaneously. There are a lot of other brands that offer these options. I chose Directed Electronics because they've been in the industry for a very long time, and is a trusted brand in the automotive security scene. Check them out at.

www.directed.com

Or

www.viper.com

By the way, what brand you choose isn't nearly as important as having a good installer do the work if you don't know, or trust yourself to do it

Last edited: Sep 6, 2019
  3. Sep 8, 2019 at 6:25 PM
    Crossfit4Runner

Crossfit4Runner New Member

Member:
    Saint Louis
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Off Road Permium
    To many to list

Products Discussed in

To Top