1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rear hatch rust??

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by MountainMan, Mar 1, 2021.

1. Mar 21, 2022 at 5:53 AM
    mac1usa

mac1usa New Member

Member:
    At first as I wondering if it was another white paint issue by OP. But I guess not if the other is MGM?

That is crazy disheartening. I thought I was buying a Toyota to avoid issues.

First it’s frame rust protection, then you see the darn screws in wheel wells rust definitely not big deal but irritating, now tailgate doors and rear hatches. All this for $45k plus markups.

Are we supposed to buy these things and put them in a humidity controlled glass case and never expose to the outside? Ughh

2. Mar 21, 2022 at 6:03 AM
    mac1usa

mac1usa New Member

Member:
    Maybe Toyota should offer this in the options page if they are all going to rust

A0EE0E83-F793-470B-93F9-1B804B9969D2.jpg

3. Mar 21, 2022 at 2:02 PM
    Too Stroked

Too Stroked New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    South shore of Lake Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2021 SR5 Premium
    Ah, no. I recently retired as the Lead Detailer at a local Toyota dealership. I've also detailed out of my house for over 25 years. So, I know what I'm talking about. What you have - and all you have - is simple iron contamination on the surface. It's very, very common and only really shows up on light colored paint. (All other colors have it, but hide it.) The most common time to notice it is in the spring after plows have been dragging steel cutting edges on the pavement all winter long.

Your Service Writer is blowing smoke up your skirt with his description of the problem. Again, it's nothing in or under the paint - just on the surface of the paint. Products like Iron-X will make that disappear in 15 minutes.

Products Discussed in

To Top