1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rear Bumper with BSM/RCTA

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by JTLip011, Feb 21, 2024.

1. Feb 21, 2024 at 11:53 PM
    JTLip011

JTLip011 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JT
    Vehicle:
    ‘23 MGM ORP w/ KDSS
    2023 MGM ORP w/ KDSS and MTM, Eibach Stage 1 Pro Truck Lift, Treaty Oak KDSS Spacers, Eimkeith welded PCK, BMC, 285/70r17x8.5, Bronze SCS GEN5 w/ -10mm offset, Liftd Customs Center Caps, Full RCI Steel Skids incl. Gas Tank, RCI Angled Rock Sliders, DD SS3 Pro Amber Fog Lights, Canvasback Cargo Liner, TSO Black Pro Grille, 4RLS Front/Rear Matte Black Valance
    So as the title suggests, I’m curious about BSM with steel bumpers and have scouring the internet for months. I’ve been trying to look at forums. Most seem dead at this point and seem to all point in the same direction with BSM compatibility on aftermarket bumpers.

My primary search/end goal is a tire swing out and if I can get additional clearance out of it, even better. I do light off-roading and trails. I shy away from hardcore rock crawling as this is my daily and I don’t like taking unnecessary risks and be SOL on a car.

I’ve refined my search to either Ngyuen Works U.S.A. with half-single tire swing out and Outgear Solutions with single swing out.

Online it looks like a tube bumper would be better for BSM as it APPEARS to be less steel in the way of where the BSM would be, unless all the angles I see are illusions and the vertical support corner tube would block where the BSM actually is.

I’ve reached out to some people on Instagram and have received mixed reviews from no issues to “sometimes it comes one when driving, sometimes no” on BSM dash lights and error messages (at least with Nguyen Works plate bumpers).

I also reached out to both companies to hear their experiences but could not get definitive answers as every case is different and I assume they don’t want to be liable to BSM not working if they say it actually does.

TLDR:
    Would those with Nguyen works and Outgear bumpers please chime in with your BSM experiences and thoughts on the quality of the two bumpers? Please clarify if you have a plate or tube bumper.

(And yes I have seen Sandy Cats videos on rear bumpers and his thoughts on both bumpers. He is both very informative and honest, which I appreciate)

Thank you everyone in advance!

IMG_7952.png
    IMG_7972.png
    IMG_7946.png
    IMG_7969.png
    IMG_7949.png

2. Mar 22, 2024 at 3:04 PM
    Mrkothegigolo

Mrkothegigolo New Member

Member:
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2022 MGM ORP
    I have the nguyenworks bumper and it does not interfere with my BSM. Your experience may vary. But if for some reason the BSM has issues, I believe Victory makes a BSM relocation kit

JTLip011[OP] likes this.
  3. Apr 1, 2024 at 7:53 PM
    JTLip011

JTLip011 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JT
    Vehicle:
    ‘23 MGM ORP w/ KDSS
    2023 MGM ORP w/ KDSS and MTM, Eibach Stage 1 Pro Truck Lift, Treaty Oak KDSS Spacers, Eimkeith welded PCK, BMC, 285/70r17x8.5, Bronze SCS GEN5 w/ -10mm offset, Liftd Customs Center Caps, Full RCI Steel Skids incl. Gas Tank, RCI Angled Rock Sliders, DD SS3 Pro Amber Fog Lights, Canvasback Cargo Liner, TSO Black Pro Grille, 4RLS Front/Rear Matte Black Valance
    Do you have the tube or plate with a swing out? I looked at the victory relocation kit but haven’t seen too much discussion on calibration which, if it is needed, looks like a pain to do

4. Apr 1, 2024 at 9:37 PM
    Mrkothegigolo

Mrkothegigolo New Member

Member:
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2022 MGM ORP
    Mine is plated with dual swingouts.

JTLip011[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  5. Apr 2, 2024 at 5:40 AM
    crashdb

crashdb How Did I Get Here?

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Manassas, VA
    Vehicle:
    2022 TRD-OR-P
    Little Tree Air Freshener
    I have the Victory 4x4 relocation bracket installed on the OEM bumper (pre-planning). No calibration needed. Lucky, maybe?

I'll probably go with their rear bumper, too. I saw some of the options you posted, but they're a little too minimalist for me. Guess, I'm not a ton of help...:goingcrazy:

JTLip011[OP] likes this.
  6. Apr 2, 2024 at 1:53 PM
    JTLip011

JTLip011 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JT
    Vehicle:
    ‘23 MGM ORP w/ KDSS
    I was weighing their bumper but I don’t hardcore rock crawl so my main goal is a full size spare carrier with some insurance protection while keeping weight down. The minimalist size on Nguyenworks is a huge plus. Only thing I’m not too crazy about with Nguyenworks is the connecting plates if I do a rear crossmember delete and tire shake, which Sandy Cats did a review on

Products Discussed in

To Top