1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rear axle leak... Wondering if replacing the rear differential breather will fix the problem

Discussion in '3rd Gen 4Runners (1996-2002)' started by generic_username_12, Nov 2, 2015.

1. Nov 2, 2015 at 5:21 PM
    generic_username_12

generic_username_12 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Just bought a 1999 SR5 4WD with 144K miles on it and the rear axle seals are leaking. I already knew about the issue from my pre purchase inspection but the guy I bought it from stated that it's just an issue with the rear differential breather. He gave me a brand new rear differential breather to install but I'm on the fence on how to tackle the issue.

Do I bring it to my trusted mechanic to replace the rear axle seals? Do I just replace the rear differential breather? There's a lot of conflicting information on this topic and I can't determine the correct course of action. I'm worried that the rear shoes are already ruined too. Thanks everyone for any help.

2. Nov 2, 2015 at 6:27 PM
    wnelax04sr5

wnelax04sr5 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ethan
    CT
    Vehicle:
    2004 SR5 4X4 Galactic Gray
    you could always replace the breather and see if it remedies the problem then go from there, breather is easier to replace

3. Nov 3, 2015 at 3:11 PM
    UssMoGn

UssMoGn That Vegas Dude

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Vehicle:
    1996 TaCoRunner
    Extented Coil Lift. Custom bumpers
    I just had this on my 96, Replaced the Breather and inner seal. seemed to Fix the issue ,But i think just the Breather would of worked. Get the trail gear one.
    http://www.summitracing.com/parts/tgi-140207-1-kit?seid=srese1&gclid=CIqwneiv9cgCFY9bfgodjqILqw

If you do replace the seal GET A TOYOTA one! NOT the cheap one. I had mine out and sliped on a autozone one and was almost freefloating on the shaft. Sliped on the toyota one and was a tight fit.

Check this out for info
    https://www.4runners.com/threads/3rd-gen-4runner-buyers-guide.630/

4. Nov 3, 2015 at 4:15 PM
    generic_username_12

Member:
    Thank you so much for the recommendation, I just ordered one. Should I keep the 4runner off the road until I install the new one or should I be okay in the couple of days it'll take to ship? The breather I currently have is shot... The leaking seems to be happening very slowly but I'd rather be safe than sorry and I have a backup vehicle to get to work so garaging the 4runner for a couple day is definitely a possibility.

5. Nov 3, 2015 at 4:16 PM
    generic_username_12

Member:
    Thank you for the response, that will be the route I go down.

6. Nov 3, 2015 at 6:38 PM
    generic_username_12

Member:

Oh man... Just checked out your 3rd gen 4runner buyer guide link... That post is the friggin bible of 3rd gen 4runners!! Thanks so much for the link, so helpful!

Products Discussed in

To Top