1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Ready Lift and TRD Pro Skid Plate

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by Crossfit4Runner, Nov 21, 2018.

1. Nov 21, 2018 at 4:45 AM
    Crossfit4Runner

Crossfit4Runner [OP] New Member

Member:
    Saint Louis
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Off Road Permium
    To many to list
    I went to my dealer to pick up my TRD Pro skid plate that’s been on back order for a month. While I was there I got the bright idea to have them install it since I don’t have a lift and why not let them do it.
    After waiting a hour and a half I go back and ask what’s taking so long, only to find out that they say it won’t fit due to the spacers for my Ready Lift. Not only do they give me that wonderful news they tell me they/people who did my lift stripped out my original skid plate bolts and broke one off. To cap things off they also tell me that they have never seen a lift like mine before and that it’s very dangerous, unsafe and can ruin my differential then proceed to write on the service ticket all this plus recommend that it be returned to stock height.
    It seems to me that if the original skid plate went on that the TRD Pro would have went on maybe just needing longer bolts because of the spacers. The Ready Lift is marketed as not to change the original geometry of the suspension so I’m thinking that is just another horror story about a dealer not knowing what they are talking about and just messing things up.
    I would like the more knowledgeable people here’s opinion. I’ve been driving my 4Runner lifted for a month in 4x4 and out with no issues at all sounds etc.

Strandskov likes this.
  2. Nov 21, 2018 at 6:11 AM
    JBTRD

JBTRD As usual, saying something stupid

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2016 (The Real) Trail Edition
    I use to run a spacer lift, my first one was the ready lift 3in then i moved to toytech when i put trd shocks on, and now i have a coil over lift. Spacers are not an ideal lift but should not be unsafe. Other people on here can chime on more of the geometry. As for the skid plate bolt, im gonna put money down that Toyota did it, they are notorious for it, and with mine they had put my skid backwards and only with one bolt. I would recommend taking your truck to a reputable 4x4 shop and not the one you got the lift at, and have them inspect your truck. My local shop knows how to service and work on a 4Runner better than any toyota dealer it seems.

Strandskov likes this.
  3. Nov 21, 2018 at 9:51 AM
    WallyT4R

WallyT4R New Member

Member:
    Do you have KDSS? The TRD skid will not work with KDSS equipped 4's without modifications to it....you can trim off some material to get it to work.

Also I feel your dealer is an idiot!

Strandskov likes this.
  4. Nov 21, 2018 at 10:01 AM
    4X4Runner

4X4Runner The Anti Pro, Pro! Staff Member

Member:
    The left coast
    Vehicle:
    2017 4Runner Smashed Ass Edition
    Mad driver mod. OME Suspension. 285/70R17 BFG AT KO2
    This. He does have a Off Road so the KDSS is more than likely the issue. Well, not issue in regards to performance but to figment of the Pro skid.

And yes, dealer is an idiot cause those fools slap $100 spacer lifts on everything and then charge you $3k for it

5. Nov 21, 2018 at 10:11 AM
    WallyT4R

WallyT4R New Member

Member:
    That moron dealer probably thought KDSS was part of the lift..:facepalm:....."never seen a lift like this before, this is dangerous!" HA!:D

6. Nov 21, 2018 at 6:42 PM
    Crossfit4Runner

Crossfit4Runner [OP] New Member

Member:
    Saint Louis
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Off Road Permium
    To many to list
    No I don’t have KDSS. Yes the dealer is a moron .
    I talked to my lift installer in Saint Louis and he said the same thing about the dealer installing them all the time and overcharging for it. He was also kind enough to fix the stipped and broken bolts for me at no extra charge because he was so pissed they pulled that crap.
    He told me that there shouldn’t be any issues installing the skid plate and that if I brought it to them they would handle it. Lesson learned never assume your dealer knows what they are doing.
    So I returned it after waiting a month and a half for my dealer to get the skid plate in and then messing up my ride trying to install it to have to go buy it back again and let my lift company install it correctly.
    The real unfortunate downside to all this is my 4Runner is now black balled by my dealer if anything goes wrong with it they’ll say it’s my lifts fault.

WallyT4R[QUOTED] and JBTRD like this.
  7. Nov 21, 2018 at 7:08 PM
    JBTRD

JBTRD As usual, saying something stupid

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2016 (The Real) Trail Edition
    I have ran in to similar situations. Toyota barely hand tightened my oil drain plug and put my skids on sideways and on with one bolt. They then proceeded to say it is my fault for modding the truck and i should inspect it after they service the truck. I was so fourious and i refuse to go back. My lift shop fixed it for me on the house and told me that the dealer sends them all modifed cars and trucks to fix after they break it, and expects them to do it for free and to stop working on all their paying customers cars that booked months in advance.

8. Nov 21, 2018 at 8:26 PM
    WallyT4R

WallyT4R New Member

Member:
    Some dealers are so horrible. Even though you are marked at that dealer it sounds like it may be a blessing in disguise. Not sure I would ever take the vehicle back to them if that happened to me.

Crossfit4Runner[OP] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top