1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Read before buying SOS Off-road concepts skid plates

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by Gyoaz, Aug 12, 2021.

1. Aug 12, 2021 at 2:35 PM
    Gyoaz

Gyoaz [OP] Garyo

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    5th gen 4runner TE
    Diff breather, Camburg UCAs, dobinsons 3" lift, front n’ rear steel, RTT, scuba exuiped, OBA, and some lights
    Well, a few months ago I bought a set of full skids for my 2015 trail edition 4Runner. I have bought from this company many times between my Taco build and my current T4R build. I’ve always liked the products and felt like they had great customer service. Unfortunately this experience has not been the same. When purchasing the skids from their website I double checked for a KDSS option, there was none. There are a few options out there that work with and without KDSS, so being a loyal customer to SOS I figured they’d done their homework with the design. My assumption was that since there was no option for with or without KDSS these skids were universal to the 5th gen 4Runner. So I pulled the trigger, dropping nearly 1k on the plates and shipping.
    They arrived after the 6-8 week lead time, right on schedule.
    I went ahead and prepped and painted them flat black with the intention of installing them that weekend. Once I pulled the stock skids and went to mount the SOS skids I found out that they are indeed not compatible with KDSS. As of this post that was about a month ago. I’ve since called and emailed SOS multiple times. I’ve reached out to them on this forum as well and still have had no response. I recently checked back on their website and guess what… 5th gen 4Runner skid plates are no longer offered. It seems to me like they’ve realized the design was problematic so they discontinued the product. It also seems to me like they’ve chosen not to respond to a pretty substantial customer issue despite multiple phone messages and emails. As I said earlier, I’ve been a big fan of this company and their products. I’ve gotten great customer service (until now) from Eddy and the other folks there. So I am sad to say I will not be purchasing from them in the future. 4318650D-9B88-45E1-BB12-B89BA6F1F94A.jpg

2. Aug 12, 2021 at 3:14 PM
    McSpazatron

McSpazatron New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 4runner OR
    Dobinson IMS Warn Bumper CaliRaised Sliders 285/70 K02s
    Some credit card companies have buyer protections. Calling the CC company and explaining the situation might result in a hold being put in the amount of your payment. They will probably request your attempts to contact them.

That might result in the necessary pressure for SOS to respond to you and seek a solution that works for the both of you.

Roland, Toy4X4, 7385 and 1 other person like this.
  3. Aug 12, 2021 at 3:48 PM
    JaSC

JaSC New Member

Member:
    Anderson, SC
    Vehicle:
    Black 2018 4Runner TRD Off Road Premium, crawl control and MTS
    ToyTec Lift, Dual Batt Redarc. Rear safe drawer, console safe, Aux 2004 JGC fuse box, Warn bumper, 12,000lb winch
    Good excuse to buy a Plasma cutter? If they pulled the product from their website and you're stuck, modify it to fit your needs. I understand the principle of the thing with Cust. serv. but sometimes it is a bigger hassle to fight it.

Roland, Toy4X4 and Gyoaz[OP] like this.
  4. Aug 12, 2021 at 3:52 PM
    Gyoaz

Gyoaz [OP] Garyo

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    5th gen 4runner TE
    Diff breather, Camburg UCAs, dobinsons 3" lift, front n’ rear steel, RTT, scuba exuiped, OBA, and some lights
    Unfortunately (after 2 weeks no response) I cut those tabs off and the front plate still contacts the sway bar. Looks like someone without KDSS is gonna get a sweet deal on some very slightly modified skids.

5. Aug 12, 2021 at 5:03 PM
    Spare Parts

Spare Parts New Member

Member:
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    22 LR ORP
    Sherpa Crestone. 4X Innovations Sliders
    And this is the problem, company’s should not get away with this, nor should customers be expected to give up.
    I recently dealt with very bad customer service while trying, or better said, after purchasing a roof top tent. I am shocked at how many folks will put their tail between their legs and just move on. What kind of capitalism allows company’s that don’t take care of their customers and continue to be successful?

Roland, Toy4X4, 7385 and 1 other person like this.
  6. Aug 12, 2021 at 5:05 PM
    McSpazatron

McSpazatron New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 4runner OR
    Yes, we would all do well to be more skeptical as consumers

B95F0AF0-B9C0-407F-93B6-5225527933A5.jpg

7. Aug 12, 2021 at 5:07 PM
    interceptor

interceptor Crash Test Dummy

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    '21 ABM Venture
    Sorry to read this. "Ghosting" in many circles seems to be the new norm.

Roland and 7385 like this.
  8. Aug 12, 2021 at 5:29 PM
    Bubbles

Bubbles New Member

Member:
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    21 TRD Pro Lunar Rock
    So you bought an item without even asking if it would work and expect them to do something for you?

its well known and documented that KDSS skids are VERY different than non and this falls squarely on you.

I agree they should have responded and said as I did above but it’s your error ultimately.

9. Aug 12, 2021 at 5:44 PM
    Antman

Antman New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2021 4Runner off-road premium, 2022 Tacoma
    2021 4Runner: King Coilovers King rear shocks Camburg UCA’s Spc rear Trail arms Icon 52700 rear springs Icon panhard bar SCS Ray10’s Rci Sliders Rci Full Skids 2022 Tacoma Offroad: King Coilovers King rear shocks Deaver leaf springs Camburg UCA Scs Gen 5 Bamf front hybrid bumper Rci Full Skids Rci Sliders
    i don’t entirely agree with this. I personally would of called or emailed to verify they fit. However they should of had it clarified on their website that it only fits non kdss. Not mentioning that in the advertisement and putting a blanket “fits 5th Gen 4runners” implies it fits all 5th Gen 4runners regardless of KDSS. Ultimately the error is on SOS as it doesn’t fit “5th Gen 4runners” it fits “5th Gen non kdss 4runnere”

10. Aug 12, 2021 at 5:57 PM
    Dillusion

Dillusion New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    KYle
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD OR
    LOL at all the people saying file a claim etc. What was paid for was received.

Yes SOS should respond which is bs on their end but not sure what you expect them to do. Not gonna refund anything when it was already painted.

Shit like this happens when you assume.

11. Aug 12, 2021 at 5:59 PM
    Bubbles

Bubbles New Member

Member:
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    21 TRD Pro Lunar Rock
    QFT

12. Aug 12, 2021 at 6:22 PM
    08TXRunner

08TXRunner New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '20 SR5P
    If that is so, then why didn't this POS company list that incompatibility on its website? Why should the OP have to research it before buying?

Roland, 7385 and BeavertonCommuter like this.
  13. Aug 12, 2021 at 6:26 PM
    PVT Pablo

PVT Pablo

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Kitsap County, WA
    Vehicle:
    2016 4Runner TRD Pro
    Doubt you'll get a reply here. SOS Concepts hasn't been on the site for over a year.

Thatbassguy, 7385 and Gyoaz[OP] like this.
  14. Aug 12, 2021 at 6:51 PM
    Gyoaz

Gyoaz [OP] Garyo

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    5th gen 4runner TE
    Probably not. I did post to Tacoma World as well.

15. Aug 12, 2021 at 7:13 PM
    Bubbles

Bubbles New Member

Member:
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    21 TRD Pro Lunar Rock
    They didn’t say they were for KDSS, now did they? :laugh:

16. Aug 12, 2021 at 11:11 PM
    McSpazatron

McSpazatron New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 4runner OR
    Having to “up” the pressure by getting a CC company involved wouldnt be necessary if SOS did the most basic part of customer service. Instead, they seem to be acting like they are trying to hide. If someone acts like a deadbeat, I’d be inclined to treat them like one. If I was getting ignored like the OP is describing, I would not hesitate getting the CC company involved (if that is an option).

Getting a refund is not the only possible solution. The OP has a need for the product...maybe SOS can share with him what changes need to be made for proper fitment, and maybe throw him a bone to cover somebody local to make the modifications. Maybe SOS could try to salvage the relationship with the customer by giving him a McDonalds gift certificate. Who knows? It’s between the shop and the customer.

Regarding the whole assumption thing... If SOS said it will fit 5th gen, the OP did not assume it would work, he was told it would work. If it ends up they dont fit on a whole subset of gen 5s, thats not a small error in communication. SOS cannot assume that all of their customers will have advanced knowledge of possible fitment issues. Hell, many owners dont even understand what KDSS is.

However, it is safe for SOS to assume the customer will believe their plainly written fitment information.

2Toys, DRobs, Roland and 4 others like this.
  17. Aug 12, 2021 at 11:50 PM
    BeavertonCommuter

BeavertonCommuter New Member

Member:
    When looking recently for a front skid plate just about every company I looked at explicitly indicated which of their products were compatible (or not) with KDSS. In this instance, it appears that the company did not indicate in its product information that it was or was not incompatible. Its not unreasonable then for a customer to understand that the product will fit their 5th gen 4Runner. The company is responsible to the customer to provide accurate descriptions of their products especially when the product is only available online. What else is the customer to do? Are some others really suggesting that companies would want multiple customers calling in with the same question about fitment in this instance? Why waste customers time and employees time with such questions?

18. Aug 13, 2021 at 4:37 AM
    the_great_white

the_great_white New Member

Member:
    I would do better than assume before I dropped a grand on something. The no response is crappy customer service on their part but failing to verify for yourself and blaming the company is just being a crappy customer.

19. Aug 13, 2021 at 5:23 AM
    can0nfan2379

can0nfan2379 New Member

Member:
    Arid-zona
    Vehicle:
    2019 T4R ORP...2013 TRD OR DCSB Tacoma
    I contacted SOS a month or two ago regarding their dual swingout rear bumper which I still believe to be one of the cleverest designs on the market. They indicated it is no longer in production. I'm not sure what is going on with that company but it seems they are on their way out and the lack of customer support for a product that did not specify KDSS/non-KDSS does not impart any confidence in doing business with that company in the future.

Roland, Thatbassguy and 7385 like this.
  20. Aug 13, 2021 at 10:51 AM
    Dillusion

Dillusion New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    KYle
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD OR
    LOL

21. Aug 13, 2021 at 10:54 AM
    Dillusion

Dillusion New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    KYle
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD OR
    You don't get it. WTF is the CC company going to do. He bought a product and received said product. Now if he didn't get the skid yes. He already admitted to modifying it. Again WTF is the CC company going to do?

OP admitted his assumed in his own damn post.

I'm on board with everyone that SOS customer service is shit in regards to his. But throwing out this bull shit of calling the CC company is retarded.

Toy4X4, the_great_white and Bubbles like this.
  22. Aug 13, 2021 at 11:10 AM
    glwood54

glwood54 Stop making me buy stuff!

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    2019 OR, KDSS, RSG sliders, Eibach shocks, 265/70 Falken Wildpeaks
    OP did receive a product, but not the one he believed would fit his 4R. Usually threatening to contact CC company spurs on the vendor to take some sort of action. This apparently had no effect on SOS. I agree that disputing the charge prior to modifying the skid to try and make it work would have been preferable.

This situation sucks from beginning to end, and hopefully no one else will be duped into buying anything from SOS. Sounds like they're circling the drain anyway.

23. Aug 13, 2021 at 11:14 AM
    olliechristoper

olliechristoper New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Gary did you try to fit them up before painting? You said you prepped them. Was it a fit prep or just paint prep. Any kind of fabricated product should to be fitted before install. In the case of your KDSS rig you need to fully articulate the suspension on each side to see if there is any contact.

I'm sorry this happened to you. It is an expensive lesson. I too would have had a conversation with the company before laying down that kind of dough. Thank you for sharing the cautionary tale of what can happen when the consumer does not research and check fit before installation attempt.

24. Aug 13, 2021 at 11:18 AM
    olliechristoper

olliechristoper New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Very good advice. I was banned on a BMW forum for calling out overpriced parts and services a member was selling. I found out later he was a major money contributor to the forum.

25. Aug 13, 2021 at 11:18 AM
    glwood54

glwood54 Stop making me buy stuff!

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    2019 OR, KDSS, RSG sliders, Eibach shocks, 265/70 Falken Wildpeaks
    Neither did they say they weren't.

26. Aug 13, 2021 at 11:46 AM
    McSpazatron

McSpazatron New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 4runner OR
    It’s simple. Money. Through agreement with merchants, some CC companies have the power to withhold the purchase price of product from seller and refund it to purchaser. It’s not bull shit, it’s a fairly handy bit of consumer protection.

He ordered a part the manufacturer said would fit. It does not fit. If it was indeed advertised as fitting 5th gen he, in actuality, does not have what he ordered. Whether or not the OP should have doubted the sellers description, making this his fault, might be something that is considered, but I doubt it , if SOS plainly said it fits 5th gen.

OP tried to contact them with no success.

The CC company would investigate and may agree with OP he got a product that was not as advertised. The CC company can tell SOS to fix the problem, or defend themselves if they think they are in the right. If they dont respond, they might give OP his money back. On the other hand, SOS might convince the CC that they are in the right, and might side with SOS if they mount a good defense (so to speak).

The CC company probably wont give a damn about the skidplate if SOS never responds to the CC company investigation.

Remember, just because SOS may be a red blooded American company providing good jobs doesn't mean they have no responsibility to other red-blooded Americans buying their products. We should be thankful that agreements between CC companies and merchants allow for dispute resolutions that keep things out of courts and save us tax money.

2Toys, Roland, Thatbassguy and 2 others like this.
  27. Aug 13, 2021 at 11:48 AM
    LandCruiser

LandCruiser I have Toyotas

Member:
    East Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    5th Gen OG TE
    Lesson learned, something everyone needs to know is when buying stuff for these trucks is whether it’s compatible with KDSS or not.

If it doesn’t say, ask. If they don’t respond, don’t buy it.

2Toys, Roland, Thatbassguy and 11 others like this.
  28. Aug 15, 2021 at 7:29 AM
    Gyoaz

Gyoaz [OP] Garyo

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    5th gen 4runner TE
    It was just a paint prep. Again, I “assumed” the product purchased would work for the application which it was purchased.

Thatbassguy likes this.
  29. Aug 15, 2021 at 7:33 AM
    Gyoaz

Gyoaz [OP] Garyo

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    5th gen 4runner TE
    I made a duplicate post on TW. I first began purchasing their products through TW so I figured it’s a good place to address the issue.

Spare Parts[QUOTED] likes this.
  30. Aug 15, 2021 at 7:51 AM
    Gyoaz

Gyoaz [OP] Garyo

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    5th gen 4runner TE
    At the time of purchase there WAS an option for stock vs rerouted exhaust Thre WAS NOT an option for KDSS, which seems to be a bit more common in these vehicles than rerouted exhaust. The implication here is that since there are different design options available the unaddressed variances would be a universal fit. If I were to order a set of wheels (from a reputable company) sold as “4Runner” compatible I wouldn’t see the need to confirm the wheels were the correct bolt pattern, I would “assume” that they should fit. I believed SOS to be reputable based on past experiences with this company. So I “assumed” the product would fit the application for which it was sold. I also didn’t check to make sure the bolt holes were on the correct places, I correctly “assumed” they were.

Products Discussed in

To Top