1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Radio Control! RC trucks, cars, planes, boats, whatever tickles your pickle!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Gamma Ray, Jan 2, 2022.

1. Sep 13, 2022 at 12:05 PM
    SR5 Limited

SR5 Limited New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1996 SR5 Limited
    That’s awesome. If it had the .21 OS engine it would be super bad.

2. Sep 13, 2022 at 12:58 PM
    MyWyfsRnnr

MyWyfsRnnr Have you seen the mall?

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Citrus Heights
    Vehicle:
    2018 4Runner TRD
    Prinsu, Blacked-out taillights, tinted fronts, BudBuilt Sliders, BudBuilt Skids, OME lift, 275/70/17 KO2's, LED interior, C4 Fab Diff Skid, Dvr Grab Handle, AnyTime Backup Camera, Badge Overlays, Wet Okole Covers
    Yeah, it is the GX-21. I honestly think I am going to sell it on Ebay or something. I got out of the Gas stuff so long ago. The last one I got was the Schumacher Nitro 21 XTR and that was when it was the most cutting edge one on the market. I remember having my deposit and order in and waiting 6 months haha. Now I play with my Slash and my TRX-4 Bronco for cars.
    And for planes I have the Timber X UMX and the CarbonCub

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  3. Sep 13, 2022 at 4:32 PM
    Gamma Ray

Gamma Ray [OP] Be excellent to each other

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 SR5 Barcelona Red
    Who cares? This never shows everything anyway.
    I love this stuff! No need to be jelly. Get your own! :D

MyWyfsRnnr[QUOTED] likes this.
  4. Sep 13, 2022 at 4:34 PM
    Gamma Ray

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 SR5 Barcelona Red
    Ah! So you have no excuse to be jelly :D Which one do you have? The old one or the 2021 one? Since getting my TRX4 2021 Bronco, I'm impressed by the TRX4 platform. I want the sunset paint scheme old Bronco.

MyWyfsRnnr[QUOTED] likes this.
  5. Sep 13, 2022 at 4:36 PM
    Gamma Ray

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 SR5 Barcelona Red
    Oh yeah, about the buggy, if you're not going to run it and you're not a collector for the sake of collecting then I'd sell it and if you want another buggy then get something more modern. I don't know if they had ESCs back then or if they were still using MSCs. Then again, with nitro, I don't know jack. Then use the money and get an Enduro Trailrunner to go with your 4Runner :D

6. Sep 13, 2022 at 4:41 PM
    SR5 Limited

SR5 Limited New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1996 SR5 Limited
    They still sell that car it’s bout a 40 year old model. One of the best cars ever made.

MyWyfsRnnr likes this.
  7. Sep 13, 2022 at 4:44 PM
    MyWyfsRnnr

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Citrus Heights
    Vehicle:
    2018 4Runner TRD
    Prinsu, Blacked-out taillights, tinted fronts, BudBuilt Sliders, BudBuilt Skids, OME lift, 275/70/17 KO2's, LED interior, C4 Fab Diff Skid, Dvr Grab Handle, AnyTime Backup Camera, Badge Overlays, Wet Okole Covers
    I have the TRX4 old style Bronco haha. Impressive little thing
    Screenshot_20220913-164400.jpg

8. Sep 13, 2022 at 4:48 PM
    Gamma Ray

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 SR5 Barcelona Red
    That's sexy!

9. Sep 14, 2022 at 4:29 PM
    SR5 Limited

SR5 Limited New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1996 SR5 Limited
    Got my new R/C shelf up.A74BD0BF-251B-4469-A5D2-03D6DE1F9ADE.jpg

MyWyfsRnnr and ian408 like this.
  10. Sep 14, 2022 at 4:49 PM
    ian408

ian408 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Vehicle:
    5th Gen TRD Offroad Pro - Super White
    Pls Stdby
    I picked up one of those at Target. It was pretty cheap--perfect choice!

11. Sep 14, 2022 at 5:37 PM
    SR5 Limited

SR5 Limited New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1996 SR5 Limited
    This one is rated for 650 pounds per shelf. It was $129 at HD. I need one more I’m going to keep in half, to remove two more plastic crumble ing shelves to the left.

its been about twenty years since I cleaned this side up.

and it’s NSF approved

the curtin is from Amazon. It glows blue when the sun hits it.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2022
  12. Sep 14, 2022 at 7:25 PM
    SR5 Limited

SR5 Limited New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1996 SR5 Limited
    I just removed two shelves. Opened up enough area for my 59’ Sportster I’m trying to aquire. With a rebuilt engine.It’s a chopper with original frame, and parts.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2022
    MyWyfsRnnr likes this.
  13. Sep 14, 2022 at 10:23 PM
    SR5 Limited

SR5 Limited New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1996 SR5 Limited
  14. Sep 24, 2022 at 3:09 PM
    Gamma Ray

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 SR5 Barcelona Red
    I went out for an easy outing around the big loop of Frost Woods today. I went for a gorgeous late day hike that I haven't done in a while. It was really wonderful today.

My Enduro Trailrunner is hot off some maintenance and upgrades. I installed one new tire because one was torn up on the inside. I installed an NSDRC RS500B direct power servo along with the associated wiring and NSDRC's short monster non-clamping servo horn. It looks like that horn's good for IFS. I also installed aluminum steering knuckles. I didn't want brass, but I wanted something sturdier than plastic. The steering knuckles came with sleeves to convert the M4 holes for the ballstuds to M3 holes. I used them to do a version of my redneck engineering to help bolster the joints for the IFS upper and lower arms. I can't stand when they pop apart on the trail. I got some M3 hardware from Fastenal including hex cap screws and various kinds of washers. Stainless steel, of course. I also pulled some Traxxas rod ends and metal pivot balls off of a brass high clearance linkage set that I ended up never using. I used these to replace some Element rod ends and Element plastic pivot balls that were wearing out. I mostly used these in the steering linkages. I got everything pretty much situated at home. The only thing I had to do on the trail was to let out the left front steering linkage two and a half turns in order to correct a toe in problem I was having. Everything lines up nicely and drives straight now. So far so good on everything I've done. The servo's nice, and the other new parts haven't broken or popped apart.

I was up in the air about whether or not to take my new Traxxas TRX4 2021 Ford Bronco out today since I only took it out for two short outings so far and won't be able to take my trucks out tomorrow since I'll be racing Mini Z cars in Aberdeen, but I really wanted to see how my Trailrunner performed. I'll take the Bronco out next weekend. I'm thinking I'll hit some of the unmarked trails at Frost Woods that have ramps for bikes. It'll be fun to put the Bronco in high gear and send it to the moon!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

POOLGUY likes this.
  15. Oct 10, 2022 at 2:46 PM
    Gamma Ray

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 SR5 Barcelona Red
    I finally got to take the Bronco out again! I went to Julian L. Capik Nature Preserve yesterday. It was a really great outing. There was what appeared to be a recently cleared out but old trail that I went on for the first time. It must have been an old trail because there was a portion of fence like you see elsewhere at the nature preserve, but the fence was certainly not new. It was a rather low lying trail, and it was full of puddles and mud. My boots were sucking into and out of the mud. I also was unsure of exactly where the trail would take me. I ended up going to the horse facility and then turning right onto the clearing for the power lines. The clearing is part of the trails, and it was really cool to travel a part of it before I turned back onto the main trail. I spent a lot of time with the Bronco in unlocked differentials mode. It was still very capable this way. It even took the sandy challenge area like a champ even with differentials unlocked. The ground clearance over the Trailrunner helped a lot. It was like off roading on easy mode. I even spent some time with the Bronco in high gear but keeping it slow with throttle control. It wasn't bad this way. The drag brake seemed to take a hit in high gear, though. I finally finished up by giving the Bronco some speed runs in high gear. It's fun to just let rip. I'm looking forward to taking it to Frost Woods in order to get some air on the bike ramps there.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And here's a video of the Bronco going high speed. The battery was starting to reach the end, so it wasn't as fast as it could have been: https://flic.kr/p/2nS7zxc

16. Oct 10, 2022 at 8:09 PM
    MyWyfsRnnr

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Citrus Heights
    Vehicle:
    2018 4Runner TRD
    Took my UMX Timber X out for a evening flight. Looks so good with the lights! I was practicing landings so took off and landed 100 times haha (tried landing on the lines)
    PXL_20221011_014429803.jpg

SlvrSlug, POOLGUY and ian408 like this.
  17. Oct 11, 2022 at 6:04 PM
    Gamma Ray

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 SR5 Barcelona Red
    I'm glad to see it survived so many landings!

I did the bearing upgrade on my Traxxas Latrax Rally. I used Fast Eddy bearings. The car's closer to being ready for this fall's indoor oval racing season.

[​IMG]

MyWyfsRnnr[QUOTED] and POOLGUY like this.
  18. Oct 12, 2022 at 6:28 AM
    MyWyfsRnnr

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Citrus Heights
    Vehicle:
    2018 4Runner TRD
    Took it out last night and had an unplanned landing.... Gorilla glue 5min epoxy to the rescue haha

Ripped the wing off and split the nose in two

19. Oct 15, 2022 at 2:36 PM
    Gamma Ray

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 SR5 Barcelona Red
    I took my Traxxas 2021 Bronco to Frost Woods today for a late afternoon outing. I gave it a good whack against a tree in high gear. It survived, but the headlight/grill housing busted into the body. I was able to pop it out, but it looks like part of the lexan on the top is broken. I could see this causing some light leakage if I ever installed the light kit. Oh well. In any case, I took it to Frost Woods to do the high speed bike jumps. It was okay, but I'll probably never do it again. I'll probably get a Traxxas Slash or something if I'm going to want to do that. It's not really great with the TRX4. I'll probably use high gear sparingly in general, and the diffs will probably remain locked most of the time. The Bronco generally performed great as a crawler. I took it off trail and had a great time trekking in the rough between trails. It was challenging, but it was plenty doable. The two big problems I ran into were the high center of gravity and the front bumper. The Bronco's just a lot more prone to tipping over than my Trailrunner. The Bronco's front bumper also could stand to stick out less. My Trailrunner can take some near vertical spots with more ease than the Bronco. There was one spot that I thought the Bronco would excel at, but it was too vertical for my Bronco to get its front wheels onto since the bumper was in the way. I'll have to see what I can do to bring the bumper back or something.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And here are some videos:
    A successful jump: https://flic.kr/p/2nT4wam
    Another successful jump: https://flic.kr/p/2nT7aD2
    Yet another successful jump: https://flic.kr/p/2nT1WZ3
    WHACK! https://flic.kr/p/2nT6Rwc

SlvrSlug, POOLGUY and MyWyfsRnnr like this.
  20. Oct 17, 2022 at 7:31 AM
    MyWyfsRnnr

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Citrus Heights
    Vehicle:
    2018 4Runner TRD
    Just got this today!!!!! Maybe maiden it tonight! IMG_20221017_072738_01.jpg

POOLGUY and ian408 like this.
  21. Oct 22, 2022 at 1:36 PM
    Gamma Ray

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 SR5 Barcelona Red
    I was going to go to Toms River, NJ for Unreal RC's Mini Z track then Cattus Island for an RC crawler hike today, but I woke up kind of late. I decided to go out for an afternoon hike at Jamesburg Park Conservation Area with my Trailrunner instead. Things were going nicely until I hit the halfway point of my outing. It was nice weather, my Trailrunner was performing well, people were amused by my Trailrunner, etc. I was going to go all the way to the northeast portion of the area today. It would have been over 5 miles of hiking. Unfortunately, my Trailrunner's front driveshaft broke. It was then that I turned around. I was able to nurse the Trailrunner back home with minimal interference. I had to kick it through some sand a couple times because it was pretty much useless in rear wheel drive in sand. I don't know when I'm going to fix it since I'm going on vacation soon, but I might use the stock rear driveshaft which I bet I still have around, cut it down to size, and put it in the front. That should buy me some time for free until I buy a replacement set of driveshafts. I'll have to look and see what the most hardcore rugged brand is. I think people have said MIP. My current ones, the Hot Racing SSCX37V, did last quite a while. I think I got them in December last year. It was snowing lightly the day that the front driveshaft broke. I bet the front takes more hits than the rear, so maybe I won't ever have to worry about the rear driveshaft breaking. Maybe I'll just leave the Hot Racing rear driveshaft in there until it breaks.

I've got Mini Z racing at The Hobby Shop in Aberdeen, NJ tomorrow! Yay!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

POOLGUY likes this.
  22. Oct 31, 2022 at 2:59 PM
    Gamma Ray

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 SR5 Barcelona Red
    I took my Traxxas 2021 Bronco out today. I went to Julian L. Capik Nature Preserve. It's not the most effective place to test my winch mount delete, but I think it helped based on a couple spots where I wasn't getting the bumper in the way while I think the winch mount would have gotten in thew way. I went for about 3 hours. I ran down one of my batteries, and I got about an hour on my second battery. I went on a lot of the trails there. I would have done a bit more, but it started raining.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

POOLGUY likes this.
  23. Nov 3, 2022 at 10:58 AM
    Gamma Ray

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 SR5 Barcelona Red
    I took the ol' Trailrunner to Jamesburg Park Conservation Area today. I repaired it and prepped it for today's outing by replacing the broken driveshaft with a cobbled together driveshaft made of the stock front and rear driveshafts. I never threw them out, so I reused what I could. I don't have any other usable parts from these stock driveshafts, so I discarded what I couldn't use and will discard what's broken the next time the front driveshaft breaks. I will probably see if I can use the stock Traxxas TRX4 driveshafts in the future.

This is my second time attempting the longest trail. at Jamesburg Park Conservation Area. Nothing broke, but my oldest 3S battery is showing its age. Either that or the conditions are getting to it. I've gotten two hours of time out of it in the past, but it was cold when I first went out, and there are now a lot more fallen leaves to power through. This made some spots tricky since I couldn't get grip where I needed it, or the depth of spots was disguised by the leaves. I could see my TRX4 Bronco having a much easier time in these conditions. But back to the battery, the oldest 3S battery gave out at about an hour and twenty minutes in. This only got me maybe two thirds of the distance I wanted to go before needing to switch batteries and turn around.

I'm thinking about getting a couple new high capacity 3S batteries today and trying to go the distance again tomorrow, but with my TRX4 Bronco.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

POOLGUY, MyWyfsRnnr and SlvrSlug like this.
  24. Nov 3, 2022 at 12:32 PM
    MyWyfsRnnr

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Citrus Heights
    Vehicle:
    2018 4Runner TRD
    I got bit while sipping drinks on vacation and this showed up today! PXL_20221103_193046412.jpg

POOLGUY likes this.
  25. Nov 3, 2022 at 12:34 PM
    MyWyfsRnnr

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Citrus Heights
    Vehicle:
    2018 4Runner TRD
    Wife made me take them out of the house finally so I snuck him on the wall above her car!
    PXL_20221103_193343065.jpg

POOLGUY likes this.
  26. Nov 3, 2022 at 3:00 PM
    Gamma Ray

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 SR5 Barcelona Red
    Those planes are looking good!

27. Nov 4, 2022 at 2:28 PM
    Gamma Ray

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 SR5 Barcelona Red
    I went back to Jamesburg Park Conservation Area with my Traxxas 2021 Bronco today, and I was a total boron yesterday. I was actually further east than I thought when I turned around yesterday. I thought I was at the first fork when I turned around, but I was actually at the second. Oh well. At least I got to take my Bronco all the way east and got to challenge getting onto the raised footpaths with it. There are a couple photos that show the near vertical climb the Bronco had to take to get up, but it at least was able to get the front wheels up. Removing the winch mount did a great job here. 10/10 would do again. The climb was too steep to get all the way up there, but it was great for a proof of concept. I also found the first fork on the way back. It was really hard to see the trail blaze in the distance. That's why I missed it. I turned onto the trail I didn't go on at the second fork and took that back to where I parked. It was really challenging on me because of all of the leaves on the ground. I'm sore but happy I went on that part of the trail. There was even a nice little bridge going over a stream, too.

I think I'm going to take the day off from trail time tomorrow. I kind of want to rest.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

POOLGUY likes this.
  28. Nov 5, 2022 at 3:01 PM
    Gamma Ray

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 SR5 Barcelona Red
    I decided to pick up this EazyRC Triton 1/18 scale crawler. It's an unlicensed Toyota FJ Cruiser. FMS makes an officially licensed version. It's weird. It appears to be actually fully licensed, but there appears to be this sister company that makes unlicensed versions of their stuff. You could say that the Triton is a copy of the FMS FJ Cruiser, but the Triton came out first. This isn't the only weird thing that has happened in the FMS/EazyRC connection.

Anyway, I got this mostly to be a shelf queen. I had my mind on getting one for some time, and I got the FMS version for a friend for a gift. The FMS version is really good, though it only comes in yellow and its controls have a braking function which is not ideal for a crawler. In any case, I liked the blue color, and the EazyRC Triton version was cheaper, so that's the main reason I went with the Triton for my own collection. The controls are more traditional for crawlers, but they're not the most sensitive. I believe the FMS version also had an interior, but these trucks are so small that it doesn't really matter to me. I ran the thing for a little bit. It ran over my foot. It was good. I don't really have any inclination to get it messy, though. The Triton has a highly detailed hard plastic body plus some modifications like a heavy duty bumper in the front and a ladder in the back.

RC crawlers usually have all four wheels locked together. That means that when you manually turn one wheel, the other three follow and turn in the same way. There are no real differentials. That is true with the Triton, but forcing the front wheels to turn sometimes causes them to click and skip. I'm not sure what's up with this. I don't remember the FMS version having this characteristic, but I know that the FMS version uses higher quality parts throughout the entire drivetrain. It doesn't really matter to me since I'm not really going to be driving this FJ Cruiser at all, but it is something worth mentioning.

I'm thinking about getting another 1/10 scale chassis and putting a lexan FJ Cruiser body on it. I just got my Bronco, so I'm not in a rush, but I'm thinking about it.

[​IMG]EazyRC Triton

mrmike7189 and POOLGUY like this.
  29. Nov 7, 2022 at 1:07 PM
    Gamma Ray

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 SR5 Barcelona Red
    I went to Kennedy Park for the first time in a long time today. It was a nice fall walk around the park and back into the woods behind the park. It looks like the construction is over, and a lot of the rough terrain has been smoothed over. Enough leaves have fallen off of the trees that some spots in the woods opened up for more unstructured driving around. I started off at the skate park since nobody was there. It was a little more fun using the TRX4 Bronco there with its high speed gear than the Enduro Trailrunner's single slow gear, but only somewhat so. The Bronco didn't get much air. The concrete surface also made it very apparent that the Bronco's very top heavy. It was easy to get it on two wheels and even flip over while turning. One time I had to go down into the bottom to flip my Bronco, and it was interesting sliding down the slope. I had a better time getting up the slope, but just barely.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

POOLGUY and MyWyfsRnnr like this.
  30. Nov 7, 2022 at 1:46 PM
    MyWyfsRnnr

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Citrus Heights
    Vehicle:
    2018 4Runner TRD
    I just got excited and got another one coming....
    Screenshot_20221107-134457.jpg

:spending::facepalm:

POOLGUY likes this.
To Top