1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Radio Control! RC trucks, cars, planes, boats, whatever tickles your pickle!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Gamma Ray, Jan 2, 2022.

1. Mar 12, 2023 at 11:54 AM
    SR5 Limited

SR5 Limited New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1996 SR5 Limited
    They should allow dirtbikes there?

2. Mar 12, 2023 at 12:48 PM
    Gamma Ray

Gamma Ray [OP] Be excellent to each other

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 SR5 Barcelona Red
    Who cares? This never shows everything anyway.
    Legally, no. This is Jersey. But you see them and ATVs there sometimes anyway. You also sometimes see a park ranger vehicle at Jamesburg Park Conservation Area, so watch out.

At this point, you're better off going with an e-bike if you're going to want to do anything like that in Jersey. Bicycles with e-bike motors up to 750W are classified legally the same as regular bicycles, so you can have all of your powered bike fun without any of the legal issues if you get caught. As of yet, I've never heard of anyone getting busted for motors over 750W. Nobody knows how to/cares to check for them.

MyWyfsRnnr likes this.
  3. Mar 18, 2023 at 12:12 PM
    Gamma Ray

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 SR5 Barcelona Red
    My Enduro Trailrunner's on the fritz again. Something about the front differential. There's something sticking and skipping if I turn it hard. I just redid it. I wonder if one of the ceramic bearings decided to break. Those ceramic bearings have been turning out to be more trouble than they're worth.

So I made it a Traxxas Bronco day at Tamarack Hollow Preserve. I think it's easier to go through the place clockwise than counterclockwise. I went through counterclockwise and missed a turn or two on one of the trails. Maybe where I expected to go doesn't officially exist anymore. I think I went on it last time the other way than I intended to this time, and I remember it being hard to follow. I spent some more time in the east over at the unmarked trails, including this one trail that my Trailrunner doesn't do well on since it's covered by too many leaves and other obstacles. The Bronco made it through.

I also slapped on some official licensed Maxtrax boards onto the spare tire with a couple small bungee cords. I didn't need to use them today. They seem kind of small. Or maybe it's just the Bronco's huge tires. I looked at the real Maxtrax on the top of my real 4Runner, and the real ones don't seem to be that much larger scale-wise. I don't know.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Mar 26, 2023 at 10:29 AM
    Gamma Ray

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 SR5 Barcelona Red
    I went out with my Trailrunner again today. I decided to go to Frost Woods after doing a bit of work on it. I replaced the bearings in the front IFS gearbox, but I have better bearings that I will install during the week. Ceramic. It restored full roll to my Trailrunner, and it performed well at Frost Woods today until it broke. First it was a tire that got torn up which isn't that big of a deal. It doesn't happen very often, and I run a spare just in case. But the worse thing was that one of my rear shocks broke and I actually lost a special spring that I ordered because of the additional weight of the spare tire. It looks like both e-clips and the piston header itself popped off of the shock shaft. I was able to drive it back to the parking lot, but it was really disappointing. I'm not sure what I'm going to do next. Maybe I'll look into more durable shocks. I don't need to have the best performing shocks, just the most durable. On the bright side, I crossed this narrow plank, and the Holmes Hobbies motor I recently installed made crossing it great. I had such perfect low speed control that I wasn't afraid of shooting off of the plank at all.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And a video of the plank crossing: https://flic.kr/p/2opnxpd

MyWyfsRnnr, POOLGUY and Gharddog03 like this.
  5. Mar 31, 2023 at 5:09 PM
    Gamma Ray

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 SR5 Barcelona Red
    My Enduro Trailrunner remains in pieces. My experimental bushings didn't come in today. Tomorrow's supposed to be rainy, so I decided to take my Traxxas TRX4 Bronco out after work. I went to the bigger portion of Ireland Brook and went around the loop across the street from the parking lot and up to the fork. All in all it wasn't a hard hike. The loop actually was completely cleared out this time, so I was able to get around it completely. The rest of it was a fairly standard Ireland Brook time. I met a lady and her mom on the trail. Mom's no spring chicken, but she's getting out there, going the distance, and making it look easy! Go, Mom, go!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

POOLGUY and Gharddog03 like this.
  6. Apr 1, 2023 at 1:03 PM
    Gamma Ray

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 SR5 Barcelona Red
    No pics, but my bushings came in today. https://www.amainhobbies.com/element-rc-enduro-se-bushing-set-18-asc42321/p1460460

I spent a bunch of the afternoon making improvements. I installed both the large and small bushings in the steering knuckles, replaced both rear shocks with new ones, installed new stiffer springs for the rear shocks, changed the plastic pivot balls in the shocks to steel, changed the stock hardware holding the lower end of the rear shocks and the links over to a longer hex cap screw plus a nut that I threadlocked into place, changed my IFS durability improvement to use slightly smaller nylon washers on the lower control arm to help reduce the chance of wear on the tires from the previous steel washers, and I think that's it. Now one of the front wheels wants to stick if I tighten the wheel nut too tightly, but that might be one of the bushings needing to get broken in. Rolling resistance doesn't seem to be affected very much since installing the bushings, so hopefully this will be a great long term fix for me. The wobble of the CVDs in the steering knuckles is now gone, too.

I actually ended up getting a couple Trailrunner ready to run sets during the week. Amain had a good price. I decided to get a couple for long term maintainability of my Trailrunner since I use it so much. Now I have a couple complete spare IFS setups should I need them plus extras of everything else. That's where I got the rear shocks from. I still have what's left of my original shocks. I'm thinking about using them for experimentation to see if I can fashion something more durable than the e-clips that go on the shock shaft. Those both failed on one of my original shocks which let everything fall apart and then my hard spring got lost on the trail.

MyWyfsRnnr and POOLGUY like this.
  7. Apr 2, 2023 at 10:18 AM
    Gamma Ray

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 SR5 Barcelona Red
    The Enduro Trailrunner is back, bay-bee! Holmes Hobbies Crawlmaster brushed motor, SSD IFS gearbox with ceramic bearings replacing the stock ones from SSD, Enduro SE bushings in the steering knuckles, new rear shocks, and so much more! The Trailrunner's running stronger than ever!

I was going to go to Jamesburg Park Conservation Area for the six mile hike, but I figured I'd take it a bit easier on the Trailrunner for its first outing since getting rebuilt. I don't think I needed to! Still, I went to Julian L. Capik Nature Preserve where the Trailrunner made it through everything perfectly. I have no complaints. Everything runs properly. The front wheels are properly stabilized. I hope the Enduro SE bushings provide that kind of stability for a long time coming. Nothing bound up in the drivetrain at all. It was quite smooth the entire time. I have no reason to think the Trailrunner's going to conk out anytime soon. The outing itself was interesting. It started off kind of cold, then got colder, and then got warmer. The terrain wasn't too crazy. The Saturday rain smoothed over some of the sandy areas, so they weren't too difficult. The Trailrunner didn't get stuck at all. I did find a new pile of tires and other garbage in the woods, though. Shame, shame, shame.

I actually wish I had batteries charged and ready to go later yesterday when it stopped raining and was really nice. I was expecting it to be super rainy all day and into the night, but it wasn't so bad after all. Oh well.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

MyWyfsRnnr, POOLGUY and Gharddog03 like this.
  8. Apr 3, 2023 at 6:32 PM
    MyWyfsRnnr

MyWyfsRnnr Have you seen the mall?

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Citrus Heights
    Vehicle:
    2018 4Runner TRD
    Prinsu, Blacked-out taillights, tinted fronts, BudBuilt Sliders, BudBuilt Skids, OME lift, 275/70/17 KO2's, LED interior, C4 Fab Diff Skid, Dvr Grab Handle, AnyTime Backup Camera, Badge Overlays, Wet Okole Covers
    PXL_20230404_004722470.jpg

PXL_20230404_004727730.jpg

Ran a battery through my bronco today on our front yard landscaping. The wife is none too excited that when I do a lift on trucks in the shop (full scale real ones) I will flex out the suspension on these rocks also to seat everything. It just so happens that they're perfect for the little crawlers too haha.

Trail Runnah and POOLGUY like this.
  9. Apr 4, 2023 at 3:36 AM
    Gamma Ray

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 SR5 Barcelona Red
    I love the sunset Bronco. It's so good. You have the beginnings of a 1/10 scale crawler course, that's for sure!

MyWyfsRnnr[QUOTED] likes this.
  10. Apr 4, 2023 at 7:56 AM
    MyWyfsRnnr

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Citrus Heights
    Vehicle:
    2018 4Runner TRD
    Prinsu, Blacked-out taillights, tinted fronts, BudBuilt Sliders, BudBuilt Skids, OME lift, 275/70/17 KO2's, LED interior, C4 Fab Diff Skid, Dvr Grab Handle, AnyTime Backup Camera, Badge Overlays, Wet Okole Covers
    I'm trying to get over to the hobby shop to pick up the e flite extra 300 today. :plane:. We will see if better judgement prevails.

11. Apr 4, 2023 at 12:39 PM
    HuskyMike

HuskyMike New Member

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2023 4Runner TRD Off Road Premium- Nautical Blue
    Spent a few years flying RC planes. Lot of fun. Here's a pic of my last plane (and old 4Runner).

[​IMG]

12. Apr 8, 2023 at 2:15 PM
    Gamma Ray

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 SR5 Barcelona Red
    Yeah! Yeah! Yeah! My Enduro Trailrunner is kicking butt! I did the six mile Jamesburg Park Conservation Area loop starting near the old tobacco factory and going all the way to the most eastern point and back. It handled the entire run spectacularly. The only things that happened were that I got high centered on a couple spots of sand. I unfortunately forgot to strap the Maxtrax onto the spare tire again, so I couldn't try using the Maxtrax to get free. Giving the Trailrunner a bit of footage was no big deal, though. The thing that surprised me was just how long my battery lasted. This was my first time pushing my battery to the end of its charge. I was out for just a little shy of three hours, and I only took a break for a few minutes once I got to the most eastern point. The battery did not run out of juice. It used to run out for the Trailrunner a little bit after looping back around from the most eastern point. Today, it just kept on going. It must be the Holmes Hobbies Crawlmaster motor. It must be super efficient. I wonder how much longer I could've taken the battery. I didn't have to use my backup batteries at all. This is going to change my loadout plans in the future. I might get another motor just to put in my Bronco because it's so efficient. And while I was driving my Trailrunner, I was pleased with how very composed it is while driving. The new Enduro SE bushings in the steering knuckles are holding up well, and the center of gravity of the whole truck is low and in control. It is very impressive.

I think I'm going to make tomorrow a Traxxas TRX4 2021 Ford Bronco day. There's nothing wrong with the Trailrunner, but I just want to take the Bronco out.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

POOLGUY, MyWyfsRnnr and -Q- like this.
  13. Apr 8, 2023 at 2:46 PM
    MyWyfsRnnr

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Citrus Heights
    Vehicle:
    2018 4Runner TRD
    Maybe I missed it in a previous post, Glad you got the front diff figured out!

14. Apr 8, 2023 at 3:29 PM
    Gamma Ray

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 SR5 Barcelona Red
    Yes, so far so good with it. I think my first test was last Sunday. Today was the day to give it the big run.

It was the bearings that were unique to the SSD aluminum IFS gearbox. The stock bearings seized up. They must've been regular steel bearings. I got ceramic bearings, and so far so good. My Trailrunner gets too wet and dirty to run regular steel bearings. I now run either ceramic or the Enduro SE bushings.

15. Apr 9, 2023 at 2:49 PM
    Gamma Ray

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 SR5 Barcelona Red
    I said today would be a TRX4 Bronco day, and I was not wrong! I spent a couple hours out on the trails at Julian L. Capik Nature Preserve. Yeah, I went there today. It's always a safe choice but never a bad one. I actually ventured a bit more west than I usually do and found some more trails that I didn't know about. I figured if there were horse droppings than I was probably OK. Some of them were actually decently level. If it wasn't for the horse droppings, it would be interesting to take a rally car, equip it with a first person view system, and put down some fast laps. I didn't think I was going to see anyone today, but I saw a couple people with their dogs and a few people on horses. The weather was really nice, too. I took my jacket off early in my outing. The new pile of garbage continues to grow, though. The Bronco continues to perform very well. It's a shame what's going on with Traxxas and how they went after the aftermarket companies last week. I'm going to keep my TRX4 Bronco running long term as well as my Latrax Rally for indoor racing when that resumes in the fall, but I don't know if I'm going to make a Jeep Wrangler out of a TRX4 Sport assembly kit now. The new Ford F150 High Trail also looked very interesting and fun, but it's definitely off the menu now.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. Apr 16, 2023 at 10:11 AM
    Gamma Ray

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 SR5 Barcelona Red
    Today was a good day for the TRX4 Bronco. I put on a new set of wheels and tires. I let water get in the first tires like a noob, so the foams started breaking down. I put some duck tape over the vent holes in these new wheels. We'll see how these perform. The previous ones still performed nicely and probably had a bit of an air down effect. Anyway, I went to John A. Phillips Preserve today, and it was a nice humid day on the trails. It wasn't hot, but it rained a lot yesterday and it's still overall rather humid today. The trails weren't too wet, though. Nothing major happened. I was just out for a couple hours and hiked around. A family going the other direction liked my Bronco. It was nice seeing some plant life growing again as we're getting further into spring.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. Apr 18, 2023 at 5:57 PM
    Gamma Ray

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 SR5 Barcelona Red
    I got one of the FMS Toyota FJ Cruiser trucks. It looks like they're beginning to sell out since it's an older release, so I made sure to get one before the prices go through the roof. I already have the blue EazyRC Triton version. I intend to keep that as the shelf queen, and I'm going to actually use this FJ Cruiser. I am going to mix and match parts between the two of them, though. I intend to try to put the interior from the FJ Cruiser into the Triton. I hope it fits. It'll improve the shelf queen appeal of it since the Triton had no interior, and it'll be a bit of weight reduced from the FJ Cruiser. I intend on keeping much of the mechanical bits of the FJ Cruiser with the FJ Cruiser, but we'll see how it goes. The FJ Cruiser has steps which I'm not sure off hand if the Triton has. I may make a swap there because the steps were getting caught on my foot while I was test driving it. Speaking of test driving, the FJ Cruiser's electronics are a bit borked. I think I'm having a radio problem. The truck doesn't respond to my controller's inputs like it should. I think it's giving me the radio frequency interference flash with the lights on the FJ Cruiser, too. I doubt it's my environment because I already tried the FMS FJ Cruiser at home in the past and it ran fine. I got one as a birthday present and tested it before giving it to my friend. I'm not too broken up about it. The FJ Cruiser has a reverse to brake function which is not ideal. I was thinking about making a change to the electronics anyway. I might use the Triton's radio system because it goes directly to reverse, though it lacks finesse. At least now I have two batteries and can snip the connector off the FJ Cruiser's receiver to make a proper adapter for my proper charger for balance charging and storage charging. One of the wheels was also a little loose, but besides that and the radio problem it's fine.

I want to get one of those new FMS FCX24 classic Chevy Blazers in black. It looks stunning.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Gharddog03, POOLGUY and -Q- like this.
  18. Apr 19, 2023 at 7:13 AM
    TBoe1776

TBoe1776 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 Tacoma TRD off-road 4x4 dcsb
    Ready for summer!!

483BB99F-3A19-4553-ADEB-B35EE00C5E0D.jpg
    24BE858B-C3B5-4221-8FF2-F22EF682089B.jpg

19. Apr 19, 2023 at 2:11 PM
    Gamma Ray

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 SR5 Barcelona Red
    That looks incredible!!!

20. Apr 19, 2023 at 2:24 PM
    TBoe1776

TBoe1776 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 Tacoma TRD off-road 4x4 dcsb
    I clocked her going 72 mph!

MyWyfsRnnr and Gharddog03 like this.
  21. Apr 20, 2023 at 10:07 AM
    mainerunr

mainerunr New Member

Member:
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    '23 TRD ORP
    Toyo AT3's, Greenlane Sliders
    Seriously contemplating picking up some 2.8 Proline badlands and a new shell for my brushless slash 4x4 and making a monster slash. Not sure how it would go on a nimh battery though, I don't have any LiPo, they kinda scare me and it isn't like I can keep them in my garage since I'm in an apartment right now...

22. Apr 20, 2023 at 12:19 PM
    MartianArmada

MartianArmada New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Harford County, MD
    Vehicle:
    2021 Venture
    Wildpeaks
    Got this HPI Blitz as partial trade for an old motorcycle I sold. It's got a Traxxas brushless motor setup and is pretty quick! Clocked it with a buddy's GNSS at around 42mph in the scale 1/4mi on a pair of slicks. I don't mess with it too much but since I have only like $100 into the setup, I dust it off and play with it every so often. This summer I'm tempted to clear out a little off-road track in my back yard for it.

IMG_20210504_232453.jpg

23. Apr 20, 2023 at 3:01 PM
    Gamma Ray

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 SR5 Barcelona Red
    That truck looks like a blast! How big is it? 1/10 scale?

MartianArmada[QUOTED] likes this.
  24. Apr 20, 2023 at 7:05 PM
    MartianArmada

MartianArmada New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Harford County, MD
    Vehicle:
    2021 Venture
    Wildpeaks
    It is pretty fun! Almost uncontrollable on a dirt road though unless you baby the throttle. It is 1/10th scale but it definitely feels larger than my old Traxxas 1/10th cars I had back when I was a kid.

25. Apr 21, 2023 at 5:47 PM
    Gamma Ray

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 SR5 Barcelona Red
    I had an epic after work adventure at Ireland Brook with my Enduro Trailrunner! I went from the eastern parking lot all the way to the west-most point of the large area of Ireland Brook. It was wet but not too wet. It was kind of hot but also a bit cold. At least it was before the sun started really going down. Then it started getting cold, but it wasn't too bad. There was a frog! Mud! Green leaves galore! The water was also eerily still today. One spot of the trail looks like it got bulldozed or something. All of the brush was flat. It was weird. Anyway, I got back to the parking lot before it got too dark. It was a really great outing. I've got my batteries charging and will be taking my Trailrunner out again tomorrow.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

POOLGUY likes this.
  26. Apr 22, 2023 at 1:01 PM
    Gamma Ray

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 SR5 Barcelona Red
    Today's Enduro Trailrunner outing was kind of disappointing. I went to the northwestern beach at Keansburg, NJ today. I've been there with my Trailrunner before, but only when it was cold. I guess the cold weather helped to make the sand away from the water firmer because the Trailrunner wasn't handling the terrain like it did when I went in the winter. It was getting stuck a lot. I drove it roughly from one end of the beach to the other and back, but I didn't bother doing anything in the area of the dunes. At least the wet sand was firmer. A few guys saw my Trailrunner while I was on my way back to the parking lot, and they got a kick out of it. One of them took a video of it. I then took a little walk to the mural on one of the old buildings across the street from the boardwalk that The Game Room and Bev and Wally's had done. I wanted to take a picture of it, and I did, but someone parked a dumpster in front of more than half of the mural. I guess if I had an awesome outing yesterday evening, this was the mehtacular counterpart. At least I was only there for less than an hour. I was afraid my real 4Runner was going to rust away from all of the sea air.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

27. Apr 26, 2023 at 12:14 PM
    mainerunr

mainerunr New Member

Member:
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    '23 TRD ORP
    Toyo AT3's, Greenlane Sliders
    What do you run for batteries?

28. Apr 26, 2023 at 1:31 PM
    MyWyfsRnnr

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Citrus Heights
    Vehicle:
    2018 4Runner TRD
    The house on the north is my mom's with jumps and banked turns, the one on the south is her neighbor with a flat track. Long story short, my brother and niece lived there for a little bit after a divorce and my brother built that track for his daughter. So we all ended up getting Traxxas slashes in different configurations and have been racing for the past couple years with all the kids and neighbors. We get 9-12 cars all going at once, absolute mayhem.
    Screenshot_20230426-132742.jpg

POOLGUY likes this.
  29. May 2, 2023 at 9:42 PM
    Gharddog03

Gharddog03 New Member

Member:
    Fresno CA
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD PRO Lunar
    Got my son a new cub.

66A4F3C4-6D34-47BE-8722-8CE1C70285CA.jpg

I have to get some more flight time on my old wings.

4DB905B2-122E-462B-B614-790A29A27F2C.jpg
    7C2C4510-8D9F-4714-8703-744BD2CBA1CC.jpg

Last edited: May 2, 2023
    HuskyMike, POOLGUY and MyWyfsRnnr like this.
  30. May 2, 2023 at 10:03 PM
    MyWyfsRnnr

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Citrus Heights
    Vehicle:
    2018 4Runner TRD
    That's a fun little plane. Pretty good trainer but it comes down quick so be ready haha. When he gets good with it, get the floats. Way fun!

Gharddog03[QUOTED] likes this.
To Top