1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rack System Recommendation for Surfing

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by djshway, Jan 22, 2023.

1. Jan 22, 2023 at 10:21 PM
    djshway

djshway [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 Silver 4Runner Torp
    None - Yet...
    Hey everyone - I'm curious for those of you who surf, what type of rack system do you use? Or recommend?

I have plans in the future of hoping to use the rack as extra storage if we are traveling especially with our pets, so wanting to see what other options I may have other than just using cross-bars to hold our boards on top.

Some of you may think, why not just open up the rear window and throw it in the back? Unfortunately for us, we travel about 1.5-2hrs each way to go surfing every weekend, and most of the time when we leave or come back, the temperature is in the 30's and we're traveling around 50-70mph. Makes me a little uneasy throwing it back there, plus we'll be freezing lol. Our smallest board is about 7'11 and have another one being made around 9'6 and there are times where we have friends coming and would be carrying multiple boards.

Thanks!

Edit: 2021 Torp

2. Jan 23, 2023 at 4:32 AM
    Beachguy

Beachguy Normal turned up too loud

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2021 SR5 Premium
    You are a dedicated guy if you’re surfing in anything close to 30 degree weather. I can’t help with the rack question but I’m sure someone here can. I suggest you start saving money now. The more you read here the more you’re gonna need it. Welcome to the forum.

djshway[OP] likes this.
  3. Jan 23, 2023 at 5:45 AM
    WIwhale

WIwhale New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vehicle:
    2021 SR5 Premium
    For my SUP, i just use the stock rails and crossbars. I have the isle pads and straps and works very well. I also have yakima rack with the old round bars that work, but find the factory setup works fine.

for kayaks, I have to put the yakima on to get more clearance between the bottom of bars and the roof.

4. Jan 23, 2023 at 7:10 AM
    nimby

nimby in the drink

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    California
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5P
    I have a Gobi no rise. Not specifically for surfboards but a combination of everything I do with my truck. That being said, the Gobi no rise is excellent for carrying surfboards because you move the crossbars further forward than the stock rack. One thing that sucks about the stock rack is how far back the crossbars sit and strapping up a longboard is not ideal.

The downsides to Gobi are the wait time and lack of communication along the way. Other than that, they are great.

But you don't specifically need a Gobi. There are plenty of other options out there. My only recommendation is to look for a rack that you can move the crossbars forward.

I don't normally travel like this but this was moving day with a prone paddleboard, two longboards and 4 shortboards strapped up top.

[​IMG]

hossler1788 and djshway[OP] like this.
  5. Jan 23, 2023 at 9:12 AM
    djshway

djshway [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 Silver 4Runner Torp
    None - Yet...
    Thanks for the Welcome! I have a lot of projects I want to do just from reading in here, but trying to prioritize them from what I can get the most usage first. Since I'm in the PNW, it's always wetsuit season for us. Makes you appreciate not having to wear one when we do surf trips somewhere warm lol. But to be honest, my wife is the more hardcore surfing out of the both of us. Which is completely find cause I can sit back on the beach and get some videos and photos of her and other surfers.

That's actually the info I was looking for! I have been looking at Gobi and now I understand the rise and no rise a little better. And you're right, I would like to have the cross bars a bit more forward to secure towards the front from the up force of the wind since I normally have it fins front/up. How's the quality holding up for you so far? I noticed that the "stealth" the front has a little lip that curves up, do you know if it interferes with the curverture of the board or is it pretty well balanced that it won't be in the way? I'm used to my wife's crv, where I know the perfect spot is if I can see the board just barely overhanging and i can see it at the top of the windshield, for multi-stack. Then again, it's a shorter base on the crv.

6. Jan 23, 2023 at 9:38 AM
    nimby

nimby in the drink

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    California
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5P
    The raised bar of the stealth rack would absolutely get in the way with longer boards.

The no rise option is the call because it essentially turns the rack into both a basket rack and a flat rack (for longer items). Best of both worlds IMO.

Quality on the Gobi is fantastic. No issues whatsoever. I followed the installation instructions to a tee and everything has been extremely solid with no water leaks.

The only thing I would do differently is get my roof vinyl wrapped (clear) prior to installation. It's near impossible to clean under the roof when washing. Of course I can always pop the roof rack off (12 bolts, I think) and do the vinyl wrap when I have the chance.

djshway[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  7. Jan 23, 2023 at 12:10 PM
    djshway

djshway [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 Silver 4Runner Torp
    None - Yet...
    May be a dumb question, but are you running the Stealth, or a different one?

8. Jan 23, 2023 at 8:49 PM
    nimby

nimby in the drink

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    California
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5P
    It's a Stealth but it's an "off menu" rack called the no-rise stealth.

You just have to ask for it.

Here's a better picture of it without all the clutter up top.

[​IMG]

djshway[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  9. Jan 23, 2023 at 9:15 PM
    KYFHO

KYFHO Generic Scumbag

Member:
    UT
    2017 SR5P with some stuff
    When I was still living in SoCal, I was driving from Riverside to San Onofre with my 11 footer strapped to the factory bars. No issues. It’s secure enough that I feel confident strapping it up top again for the 300+ mile drive down when we visit in June.

10. Jan 23, 2023 at 10:53 PM
    djshway

djshway [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 Silver 4Runner Torp
    None - Yet...
    OHHHH ok - I see it on their website! I am definitely leaning more towards this. I was worried about the riser that most of them have. Thank you very much for chiming in!

Currently we have cross-bars on my wife's CRV, except we find ourselves sometimes, having to leave some things behind for a weekend trip, and could use the extra storage on top or bigger bulkier items. Waiting for the Winter swells to calm down a bit and we'll find ourselves back out on the OR/WA coast to surf again.

nimby[QUOTED] likes this.
  11. Jan 24, 2023 at 6:15 AM
    short21yang

short21yang New Member

Member:
    Central Valley California
    Vehicle:
    2020 4Runner Off-Road (non-Premium) Barcelona Red
    I don't surf but I couldn't help it to chime in, but I do have to recommend the Gobi Rack hands down. I have the Gobi Ranger with No rise and I love it 1000000% (you get the idea). The only downfall is a long wait time but worth the price IMO. It comes with 2 crossbars as well (I haven't used mines yet) but the rack is super effective. I need to upload some pictures of my car what better yet, check out these videos of the rack. You can skip throughout the video but towards the end of them I have pictures so you'll get an idea. Going on 2 years now, I've banged it up on certain parts and need to retouch it up since there is very little rust with the paint/powder coat chipping off. The color has started to fade little so eventually I plan to recoat the whole thing again following this post (https://trail4runner.com/2022/09/13/everbrite-metal-coating-review-application-guide/). Like the previous guy said, super easy install, good if you have an extra hand because that thing is heavy. I like in CA and during the crazy rain, no leaking at all so I'm happy. A lot of people have the Stealth, I don't like it because its to "thin" IMO. I like the Ranger because it sits higher and I can fit my garage still (2.5in front and 3in rear with Eibach Pro Stage 2 Coils with Dobbinsons UCA with 285 Wildpeak AT on TRD pro rims). Skim through the videos and see for yourself! Good luck!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYBDRi21Tbc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nf7sNbrq3P0

nimby likes this.
  12. Jan 24, 2023 at 6:19 AM
    short21yang

short21yang New Member

Member:
    Central Valley California
    Vehicle:
    2020 4Runner Off-Road (non-Premium) Barcelona Red
    Also forgot to mention, it spans basically the entire roof of the car too. So your boards should be perfect!

nimby likes this.
  13. Jan 24, 2023 at 8:57 AM
    Nutmegtheref

Nutmegtheref ****

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD Pro
    1FD082F4-2E58-4628-85CB-5899C70FFAB8.jpg I mainly ride short boards and they fit in the back with the seats down. When we go to baja and take multiple boards (plus camping gear) the boards go on the roof. I took off the trd pro rack and replaced with the standard rack and factory cross bars. Added pads to the bars for the boards to rest on then use a ratchet strap to secure them for road trips.

Products Discussed in

To Top