1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Question for owners...Weighing a 4R vs others

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by rajjyp, Apr 15, 2017.

1. Apr 20, 2017 at 11:33 AM
    TedRCASC

TedRCASC New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ted
    I'm 84 and, in my 20s, drove Jeeps and other 4x4s in the Canadian army for 5 years. Moved to the US in '60 and bought my first new 4x4 in '64, an Int'l Scout. Since then I've owned many other 4x4s, Land Rovers, Blazer, Trooper, Outlander and 3 Jeeps, the last a '15 Wrangler JKU. Our '16 4R Trail is so far ahead of all the others that I still kick myself that I never discovered the line many years ago. - Cheers, Ted

2. Apr 21, 2017 at 9:24 AM
    champ198

champ198 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Duane
    Vehicle:
    2016 Toyota 4Runner SR5
    everyone, 2nd post and wanted to share why I lean heavily toward the Toyota.

I just came out of a 2012 BMW X5 50i (V8 twin turbo) AWD that could do 0-60 in 5.whatever seconds that could also tow 6,000 lbs. Yes, it wasn't a serious off road vehicle, but it could actually get dirty and it had protective plates underneath. BMW knows about performance and I loved that car.

Someone hit me recently and totalled it out which gave me a chance to start fresh. Having had a kick butt SUV and having an inordinate amount of engine maintenance $$$ on the BMW, the pendulum on my SUV needs has swung back the other way. A European option will cost you big time on the back end, like you need to start a savings account for it as soon as you buy it.

I researched Jeep SUVs and, knowing what I know now, will never risk my hard earned dollars on vehicles with high complaints, require lots of expensive service or maintenance, and have quality/design problems. I looked at Ford, GM, FiatChrysler, and Nissan but everything kept pointing back to Toyota.

I had no idea the biggest challenge in getting into a 4Runner, including shopping used, was finding competitive prices. Holy cow these vehicles hold their value.

Old SUV criteria:
    1.) Looks cool
    2.) AWD
    3.) High performance
    4.) Options and luxury
    5.) Can tow my 21 ft bass boat

Post accident (I came to my senses) criteria:
    1.) Reliable with solid engine
    2.) 4WD
    3.) High quality assembly and good reputation
    4.) Basic options
    5.) Can tow my 21 ft bass boat

I pickup a used 2016 4Runner 4WD SR5 tomorrow. I couldn't be happier. Looking forward to absorbing some of the knowledge on this site.

-Duane

jester243 likes this.
  3. Apr 21, 2017 at 12:21 PM
    jbrandt

jbrandt New Member

Member:
    Sacramento, CA
    Since you posted in a 4Runner forum, you're going to get a lot more votes for the 4Runner than anything else.

Since you're used to a high power sedan, you might like the SRT better, but if you're looking for a change and want to get into some off-roading, the 4Runner is a great choice. It's not like the 4Runner are gutless, though...

But we can't really make that decision for you. That's a personal preference that only you can figure out what works best for YOU.

I finally pulled the trigger on a '17 SR5 4Runner last weekend, and I absolutely love it. I've been missing my 1st gen 22RTE ever since I blew the motor after 300k+ miles. My '04 TRD Taco has been (and will continue to be) a great truck too. I kept it because I have serious reservations about wheelin' with my daily driver, and plan an overland build for the Taco.

Products Discussed in

To Top