1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Putting 285/70/R17 Tires on 2003 4runner

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by pbhockey16, Jun 18, 2015.

1. Jun 18, 2015 at 9:46 AM
    pbhockey16

pbhockey16 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Alpharetta,Ga
    Vehicle:
    2003 4runner SR5 V6 2WD
    I have aggressive tires from a 2004 Ford Expdetion. That i want to put on my 2003 4runner Sr5 v6 2wd. The tires i have now are R16" and my current Lug nut configuration is 6 Lug Nuts, 6x139.7 (or known as 6x5.5). The aggressive tires i want to put on are 285/70/R17, lug nut configuration is 6 Lug Nuts, 6x135. From what i have seen online the largest you can put is 265/70/r17. Since the lug nut configuration is different i am going to buy 6x5.5 to 6x135 (Set of 4) Wheel Adapter Special 1.5 inches for around $100. Do y'all think that with the 1.5in spacers there would be good enough clearance to stop the tires from rubbing on the wheel arches? Would i need to adjust the suspension? I believe the '03 4Runners have a Torsion Bar, would i need to adjust the suspension, if so how much would i need to and how much would be adjustment is recommended without putting a strain on the cars suspension. Also is it easy to adjust?

Let me know if putting these big tires are even possible.
    I plan on keeping the old tires too so i can change them out for longer drives, so i do not put too much strain on the engine.

2. Sep 8, 2016 at 6:32 AM
    bahndrvr

bahndrvr New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Trevor
    Melbourne, Fl
    Vehicle:
    03 SR5 V8 4Runner
    2003 4Runner SR5 v8 - Temp Front: Top hat spacer 2.5" on Tacoma struts/springs Rear: TJM/King heavy extended Tacoma shocks 315 BFG AT KO2's (35's) Thrush Welded muffler and rear watermelon delete with turned exit K&N drop in, and extra filter delete Strengthened/Welded passenger side front diff mount Front diff drop - due to the top hat spacer and massive droop.... Scion headunit CB Other stuff done, 6th 4Runner:)
    Haven't seen a response - so will throw one on here - No.

4Runners haven't been torsen susepension since 1996 when we went to Struts up front. A spacer lift is the cheapest route if you want to mount them and since your 2wd shouldn't be all that hard - I have seen cheap ones as low as 185 for 3" front nd 2" rear with rear shocks... Spacers are not all that bad as long as they are the one piece/monoblock aluminum.

Even with the spacers/adapters you will have to do the lift, otherwise your going to chew a lot of plastic up and a lot of the tread off the tires...

Products Discussed in

To Top