1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Purchasing a new 2016 Limited

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by lbatts, May 16, 2017.

1. May 16, 2017 at 1:04 PM
    lbatts

lbatts [OP] New Member

Member:
    What are your thoughts on purchasing a new 2016 limited? I bought a Rav4 last year but don't love it and my mom has a 2012 Venza. She said she would let me trade her Venza and she would take the Rav so I don't take a loss and down the road she will trade it for a Highlander. Will I love the 4runner? I've driven two for test drives but can't for the life of me find one locally to rent. Any input on the process and a 2016 limited in general would be greatly appreciated ;)

2. May 16, 2017 at 1:12 PM
    5thGen4Runner2015

5thGen4Runner2015 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 Magnetic Grey Toyota 4Runner SR5
    You're asking a bunch of T4R owners. We're all going to tell you you will absolutely love it! Get it! Enjoy! You're welcome!

3. May 16, 2017 at 1:14 PM
    lbatts

lbatts [OP] New Member

Member:
    Would you hold on to the Rav4 and trade the Venza like my mom is suggesting? Sorry I just don't want to have regrets like I currently have about the Rav4 ;)

4. May 16, 2017 at 1:26 PM
    5thGen4Runner2015

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Why did you get the RAV 4 in the first place? What don't you like about it that you regret it so much? I think it's awesome that your mom is willing to let you trade in her Venza and take the RAV4 off your hands. And why are you considering the T4R now? And why the limited specifically?

I've definitely gotten cars that I've regretted in the past, the latest one being a 2015 Nissan Rogue. But after the Runner I don't think I will ever buy a different car.

But in the end, a lot of it will depend on what you plan on doing with your vehicle and what your needs and wants are. But as far as I'm concerned, the T4R is the best all around vehicle for whatever your needs are. But then again, I am biased .

5. May 16, 2017 at 1:31 PM
    lbatts

lbatts [OP] New Member

Member:
    I bought the Rav4 after anxiously wanting a new car from my 2005 honda accord that I had since high school. At the time I didn't even think about the 4Runner because I had a friend with a Rav4 and liked hers. I just expected it to feel more exciting and I'm paying a lot to not 100% enjoy what I bought. Every time I see a T4R on the road I stare at it and envy the driver. I like the limited for the comfort features. I don't plan on taking it off road and I think I regret with the Rav4 getting cloth over leather plus I like the AC seats. I really love the redwood interior.

6. May 16, 2017 at 2:30 PM
    jester243

jester243 rabble rabble rabble

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    2016 4Runner Trail Premium w/ KDSS
    I changed some lights, tires and tinted windows...mind blowing huh
    the 4runner will feel heavier than the rav4, not sure if it will feel exciting to you

Finnthe4Runner likes this.
  7. May 16, 2017 at 10:24 PM
    liftbikerun

liftbikerun New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mario
    The T4R will definitely not feel exciting if you're talking speed, agility, flashiness, etc. It's a Utility vehicle. Off-road , body on frame, ok towing prowess.

Honestly I have idea why you'd be looking at a 4runner. They aren't exactly luxury, they aren't sporty, they aren't overly comfortable to drive although a definite improvement over my Tacoma was.

For the same amount you could get any number of sportier, more flashy, more comfortable options. In the end if you go with a 4runner you'll be in exactly the same boat without an easy out as mom will be buried under RAV4 payments.

Finnthe4Runner and jester243 like this.
  8. May 17, 2017 at 9:07 AM
    brochacho

brochacho New Member

Member:
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    2018 Sequoia TRD Sport
    ^ This^ Have you driven a T4R yet? They are amazing vehicles and do many things very well, but an exciting driving experience is not one of them.

9. May 17, 2017 at 10:20 AM
    Clay

Clay 4 RUNNIN

Member:
    First Name:
    Clay
    Auburn, Wa
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5 Premium
    I have recently driven both of the Rav4's (Gas and Hybrid) as well as an SR5-4R. Here are my thoughts - Acceleration > The Gas-Rav is 'just adequate' The Hybrid is a bit better. In that department you will prefer the 4R. Overall Rav4 model comparison > Despite the great mileage performance of the Hybrid Rav, we prefer the Non-Hybrid/Gas model for a number of reasons. Interior noise > At 60 mph, the back seat occupants have to lean forward to hear those in the front due to the road-noise...The 4R is serene. Gadgetry> This is an area where the Rav excels. Its crammed full of gizmo's and gadgets, the 4R is much more of a basic machine. Driving Postion > Unless you are a sports car driver that needs to have your butt inches from the ground you will significantly favor the 4R over the Rav. In the front, the Rav feels confining compared to the 4R. My wife loves our Tacoma, and loves our Camry (6 speed manual) - however- She has wanted (for years) to sit higher. The 4R delivers. We have recently met 3 -4R drivers, all women, who all brag about the seating position. Comparisons > You really can't compare the Rav to the 4R they are completely different machines. A non-salesman at our local Toyota Dealer recently participated in our Rav vs. 4R discussions agreed and added - Comparing a Rav to a 4R is like comparing a Corolla to a Camry. Final thoughts> The major area where the 4R falls short is Mileage, lets face it, it's not great. The Rav is smaller and will be easier to park. If I were looking for a commuter, where I was stacking up a lot of miles of stop and go - Pick the Rav Hybrid. If not - The 4R is superior in many ways.

jester243 likes this.
  10. May 17, 2017 at 10:32 AM
    5thGen4Runner2015

Member:
    Vehicle:
    It also depends on what "exciting" means to you. I know my 6 speed WRX that I traded in was a much faster and more road capable vehicle that could grip for days around corners... and that was exciting. But when I got into the 4Runner for the first time, despite it feeling heavy and not accelerating anywhere near as quickly as the WRX, it was an exciting feeling for me being so much higher up than most of the vehicles on the road, to have all the windows down, including the rear, and feeling the wind, and just knowing how amazing this truck looks. It might not be an amazing ride but it's definitely an exciting vehicle. I also had a 2015 Nissan Rogue and despite it having almost all of the options available, I hated that thing with a passion and did a swapalease and took my losses to get out of that thing after only a few payments.

Every mod I do and think about doing is also very exciting. This is by far my favorite vehicle out of the 11 I've had.

11. May 18, 2017 at 1:35 PM
    TedRCASC

TedRCASC New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ted
    Welcome aboard. I have to agree with you; our 4R Trail is the 10th 4x4 I've had since 1964 and it is the best of them all, by far. - Ted

Kyotii likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top