1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Problems with Stock Bridgestones Off Road???

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by rkwfxd, Oct 9, 2019.

1. Oct 9, 2019 at 9:35 AM
    rkwfxd

rkwfxd [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Whittier - So Cal
    Have any of you had problems in the form of punctures and/or sidewall tears with the stock Bridgestone Duelers off road?

I was invited on a three day trip to Death Valley and it was suggested I install some better tires. I am not going to pay to get another set of 265s. I would do 285s and the additional mods to make them fit but there is not enough time before the trip.

I have seen / heard several folks say you need upgraded tires. But I have also seen several folks on these same trails in Tacos, Runners, and Cruisers with what appear to be the original tires.

In my own case, the ONLY tire I ever got a puncture in was a BFG MT on a smooth dirt road by a 3" stick. LOL. However I have been on a run where one person cut BOTH of her driver side tires.

I have wheeled the runner a few times with no issues but I am wondering if I am pushing my luck. Especially on a 3 day camping trip.

TIA

2. Oct 9, 2019 at 9:53 AM
    Mintaka

Mintaka New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Vehicle:
    2018 4runner trd off road
    Hi my trd off road came with bridgestone h/t (why on an offroad who knows)..got more flats in 14k than I've ever seen..always the back...always nails or screws and 2 of 3 were in or near sidewall..Said screw it and now have nitto rg..

rkwfxd[OP] likes this.
  3. Oct 9, 2019 at 10:00 AM
    Waraba

Waraba New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD OffRoad
    I have been down dirt roads in southern Utah on the stock Bridgestones, and I had no problems. I have a close friend who owns a Tahoe with stock P tires, and he has gone into Anza Borrego many times with no issues. However, neither of us is doing serious rock crawling. We weren't driving fast, and we didn't air down so I wasn't as concerned with my sidewalls blowing out/tearing. I think the nature of the road would determine, in my case, whether I'd be really worried about it.

rkwfxd[OP] likes this.
  4. Oct 9, 2019 at 11:03 AM
    thirdyota

thirdyota shouldn't be trusted

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Cincinnati, OH
    Vehicle:
    2017 T4R TRD Off Road Premium
    Mine came with the Bridgestones. One of them was flat at 11k miles from a piece of hard plastic gouged into the shoulder of the tire.

Got rid of all 4 for a set of Nitto Ridge Grapplers which I've been happy with for 16k miles now. Pulled a good sized screw (inch and a half I'd say) out of a tread block on one of them, and not even a leak from that.

rkwfxd[OP] likes this.
  5. Oct 9, 2019 at 11:05 AM
    rkwfxd

rkwfxd [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Whittier - So Cal
    I've picked up a nail my mine as well, on-road.

I've done moderate wheeling with the stockers and had no problems.

In the end, doesn't look like it is going to matter as I think I found a shop that can fit me in for a lift and 285's in time for my trip.

SlvrSlug and thirdyota like this.
  6. Oct 13, 2019 at 3:06 PM
    hordboy

hordboy New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Nautical Blue SR5
    Meh. Took mine offroad numerous times on a 5k western trip with no issues. Didn't go crawling, just was sensible about things. Ended up back in one area where only UTV's should have been, as it turned out. lol

Products Discussed in

To Top