1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Preventative Repairs - What should I do?

Discussion in '4th Gen 4Runners (2003-2009)' started by dmisselh, Aug 19, 2016.

1. Aug 19, 2016 at 2:41 PM
    dmisselh

dmisselh [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Vehicle:
    2004 4Runner SR5 V6
    Lots
    My 2004 4 Runner V6 has 208,000 miles on it. I've done shocks, struts, brakes, rotors, regular flushes of everything, belts, hoses, radiator replaced(it was leaking), plugs/coils, and a few other maintenance related items.

My question is, does anyone have any suggestions of what other repairs I should do to maybe cut off something that might soon occur. Like maybe belt pulleys and bearings, alternator, water pump, Any suggestions? I haven't done the hoses to the radiator from the transmission. Do those fail? is there a maintenance schedule for those?

I guess another question is the a schedule for some of these type items I should follow? Is there a good web site? I use myCarFax.com but it's just general maintenance

FYI, I'm 50 years old, I bought this car new, I'm the only owner. This is the best car I've ever owned and it drives exactly the same today as the day I drove it off the lot.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2016
    khunk likes this.
  2. Aug 22, 2016 at 8:57 AM
    RonT4R

RonT4R New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Virginia Beach
    Vehicle:
    2007 4runner SR5 4WD
    We are almost in the same boat Dave but I bought my 2007 with 193k miles and I have pretty much done to mine what you have done to yours. Not sure there is much more to do.... I did replace my sway bar bushings to grease able polyurethane ones.

3. Aug 22, 2016 at 9:37 AM
    nuclearn8

nuclearn8 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    The 2nd State
    Vehicle:
    07 Limited
    2007 Awaiting Trade-In
    I would look at your ball joints on your upper and lower control arms... also look at the joints on your end links (for the front and rear sway bars)

Also, if you've never done it you could probably get a lot of handling benefit out of replacing your sway bar bushings, either with new oem rubber ones or poly ones... I'd have to imagine your stock ones are worn at this point if orignal and you just don't realize it because it's a gradual decline in handling.

I'd replace your PCV valve if you've never done this...

flush your brakes (guessing you've done this at least once)
    flush your power steering (guessing you've done this at least once)

flush your coolant every 50K as well

bahndrvr and dmisselh[OP] like this.
  4. Aug 22, 2016 at 12:07 PM
    dmisselh

dmisselh [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Vehicle:
    2004 4Runner SR5 V6
    Lots
    Thanks for the reply, I have done the last things you mentioned and regularly. But I haven't done sway bar bushings or the PCV valve. I haven't noticed a decline in handling but if it's gradual that would explain it.

5. Aug 22, 2016 at 1:29 PM
    dmisselh

dmisselh [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Vehicle:
    2004 4Runner SR5 V6
    Lots
    Dang there's a million different kinds of sway bar bushing kits for this model

6. Aug 29, 2016 at 8:29 PM
    BassAckwards

BassAckwards New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2006 4Runner V6 SR5
    I had an alternator go out on me in a FJ with the 1GR-FE V6 at 160k. As far as preventative maintenance, this would be on the top of my list since it isnt too pricy to replace and can leave you stranded

Also have an 09 tacoma and replaced the alternator even though it was still good at 175k when the starter needed replacing, so got them both done at once

Last edited: Aug 29, 2016
  7. Aug 30, 2016 at 9:26 AM
    dmisselh

dmisselh [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Vehicle:
    2004 4Runner SR5 V6
    Lots
    So now I have to ask myself whether my Toyota made Alternator with 202K is better than an after market or rebuilt one or new. What do you think?

8. Aug 30, 2016 at 9:33 AM
    BassAckwards

BassAckwards New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2006 4Runner V6 SR5
    I would go OEM on everything possible. When i replaced mine on my tacoma i used Toyota parts. Im sure aftermarket is still good quality, i just like the extra peace of mind from having OEM. IMO, its worth the price difference, and will likely last longer

9. Aug 30, 2016 at 9:36 AM
    dmisselh

dmisselh [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Vehicle:
    2004 4Runner SR5 V6
    Lots
    I may start price shopping, see what the differences are.

10. Aug 30, 2016 at 9:36 AM
    BassAckwards

BassAckwards New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2006 4Runner V6 SR5
    Misread your post, If i was comparing a toyota one with 202K vs a new aftermarket one, i would go aftermarket all the way. Theres one on my fj that was put on at 161k and its now at 227k with no problems

Looking back though, i would have definelty used toyota parts if i wasnt in a bind when it went out on me

11. Aug 30, 2016 at 9:38 AM
    dmisselh

dmisselh [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Vehicle:
    2004 4Runner SR5 V6
    Lots
    I've always wanted to know peoples opinions on the water pump/timing chain. Does anyone suggestion replacement of either of these at any point? or just go until the fail?

12. Aug 30, 2016 at 9:39 AM
    BassAckwards

BassAckwards New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2006 4Runner V6 SR5
    Since im here might as well mention that the Fj in the post above with 227k has original timing chain and water pump as well as starter. The starter on my taco went out at 175k..

I have no experience as far as replacements for these though..

13. Nov 14, 2016 at 10:35 AM
    bahndrvr

bahndrvr New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Trevor
    Melbourne, Fl
    Vehicle:
    03 SR5 V8 4Runner
    2003 4Runner SR5 v8 - Temp Front: Top hat spacer 2.5" on Tacoma struts/springs Rear: TJM/King heavy extended Tacoma shocks 315 BFG AT KO2's (35's) Thrush Welded muffler and rear watermelon delete with turned exit K&N drop in, and extra filter delete Strengthened/Welded passenger side front diff mount Front diff drop - due to the top hat spacer and massive droop.... Scion headunit CB Other stuff done, 6th 4Runner:)
    Replace, if they fail your entire ENGINE is GONE!

The chain itself doesn't necessarily fail but the tension and guides do, and pretty sure your interference engine which means if you jump time - you possibly kill pistons and definitely kill valves. Water pump if you aren't paying attention and it lets go you will overheat - which can warp head, kill head gasket, kill radiator - expansion components, could go on but this is doom and gloom and worse case. But at your mileage it's worth it to go have your timing chain and water pump done and yes use stock parts. More than willing to bet your original fan clutch has let go, and just FYI - balljoint failure is a BAD thing as well, do the balljoints and at your mileage it's worth it to do complete upper and lower control arms as they bushings are more than likely shot and when you went to get an alignmen they would tell you they are moving so wouldn't get a "good alignment".

I just did my balljoints on my 113k runner yesterday, I pressed out the lower balljoints, if I was to do it all over again I would just buy the lower control arms.

Products Discussed in

To Top