1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Please school me on crossbars/roof rack

Discussion in 'General 4Runner Talk' started by taco_runner, Feb 17, 2021.

1. Feb 17, 2021 at 12:27 PM
    taco_runner

taco_runner [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kev
    Vehicle:
    4Runner TRD OR Premium
    Hi guys, my 2020 TRD ORP is still in stock form. We are planning on a trip somewhere in Sedona, Colorado or Utah in March.

No rock climbing or anything to that nature. I plan on putting maybe a roof rack or cross bars so I can mount a cargo box, a shovel, and traction pads.

I don't know what to get and where to begin.. please help.

Thanks

2. Feb 17, 2021 at 12:39 PM
    PVT Pablo

PVT Pablo

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Kitsap County, WA
    Vehicle:
    2016 4Runner TRD Pro
    First I would look into how all those items you want mount, and if there is a factory crossbar mounting option. That would be the cheapest and easiest.

Mtbpsych and taco_runner[OP] like this.
  3. Feb 17, 2021 at 3:12 PM
    Dillusion

Dillusion New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    KYle
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD OR
    Well if you are going in March I think the factory crossbars are your option.

Good luck getting a roof rack in a month unless you can find one locally used.

PVT Pablo and taco_runner[OP] like this.
  4. Feb 17, 2021 at 3:20 PM
    ruiz4251

ruiz4251 "but it was funny huh?"

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    TEXAS
    Vehicle:
    16 Trail Premium
    ICON custom stage 6 3"; 33's; gobi rack; SSO bumper; SSO high clearance; Rigid lights; 10k X2o winch; AFe intake; brola cat back; tint; aftermarket sound; opor sliders; pedal commander, viper smart start mobile tracker, Canvasback Liner; Rago rear window molles; victory 4x4 center console molle; cbi front skid steel; cbi aluminum tran skid; rci fuel aluminum skid; rci dif skid; rago rear shock skids; rci lower link skids; tenton workshop shift knob; yoga shop grenade trans knob;alpha rex headlights; USR blacked out tails; USR turns to turns; blacked out sequential mirror turn
    Top tip: use paint protection on the roof before adding a rack

5. Feb 17, 2021 at 4:17 PM
    OldButStillAdventurous

OldButStillAdventurous New Member

Member:
    I have 2021 ORP I had dealer put Toyota cross bars on
    I researched Amazon etc but went with Toyota ones
    Real solid n look nice
    I put fishing rod holder on them, frees up alot of interior room
    Check it out n have fun

Curt56 and taco_runner[OP] like this.
  6. Feb 17, 2021 at 4:32 PM
    nimby

nimby in the drink

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    California
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5P
    Look at some flat rack options like Southern Style Offroad, Victory, and Prinsu.

Look at some basket rack options like Gobi and Baja racks.

Look at some options that utilize your stock rails like Rola, Yakima, Nfab, and LFD.

Decide which one fits your uses, timeline, and budget best.

Side Note: These aren't your only roof rack options.....just some of the more popular ones.

7. Feb 18, 2021 at 5:07 PM
    Beachguy

Beachguy Normal turned up too loud

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2021 SR5 Premium
    I put on the LFD Ruggedized Crossbar Bundle. For the money it does all I want and looks pretty good. Reasonably easy install from a step ladder. It comes with a wrench but I used my own. I talked to a guy there a week or so ago via email and he said most of their staff is back on the job after a pretty nasty COVID outbreak. They’re about 3 to 4 weeks out I think.

8. Feb 18, 2021 at 5:18 PM
    taco_runner

Member:
    First Name:
    Kev
    Vehicle:
    4Runner TRD OR Premium
    I'm looking at that too... did you get the painted stainless ?

9. Feb 18, 2021 at 5:24 PM
    Beachguy

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2021 SR5 Premium
    I got the carbon steel black powder coated. I like that the kit has the Fairing Crossbar for the front. I can say I haven’t noticed any wind noise at all. YMMV

taco_runner[OP] likes this.
  10. Feb 18, 2021 at 8:16 PM
    Sixgunz

Sixgunz Gold Member

Member:
    Phoenix
    Vehicle:
    2022 ORP
    Kings front and back, RSG sliders, GOBI ladder BFG AT 285s, OEM phone dial wheels, KDSS
    Check out the Yakima Timberline towers (mounts) and Yakima Jetstream bars. The towers strap to the factory side rails and the bars can hold a RTT and at least one middle-aged, 6' tall, 240# man.

mrmike7189 and taco_runner[OP] like this.
  11. Feb 19, 2021 at 6:47 AM
    Over the LINE

Over the LINE New Member

Member:
    New Orleans
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Offroad
    Search cargo box. I have factory cross bars but needed a taller option to get my cargo box to clear my shark fin antenna.

kolter45 and taco_runner[OP] like this.
  12. Feb 19, 2021 at 6:54 AM
    4runner95123

4runner95123 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Los Gatos
    Vehicle:
    2020 Nebula Gray GX460, 2018 SR5 Premium
    GX:20% window tint, weather tech floor mats, ICON stage one lift kit, 17 inch Fuel Rebel 6 wheels, BFG KO2s 285/70/R17. 4Runner: 265/70/R17 Falken Wildpeaks, Fuel Vapor wheels
    My 2018 came with factory rials and cross bars and I added a Thule Force cargo box I got from a local shop. Great thing about that one is that it comes with a space at the end of the box for the shark fin to slide underneath box. So now I can slide the box as far back as the tailgate. And we love the Thule box. Holds a ton of stuff.

13. Feb 19, 2021 at 7:14 AM
    nm_t4r

nm_t4r New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Barcelona Red 4runner LE
    Or you can to something like : , which is what I did with 4 bars and use with my cargo box.

14. Feb 19, 2021 at 8:27 PM
    DJPSC

DJPSC New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 4Runner TRD Off Road Premium Super White KDSS
    XP Package, KDSS, TRD Wheels, Pro Grille
    I went with Toyota cross bars as I had an older Yakima sky box that I wanted to continue to use. We did put a Thule canyon XL on our 2011 LC and it’s a nice look/option. Super sturdy. F228DE26-04D7-41D9-A349-A72BEA0D8BD0.jpgA6D8E5D6-2264-42A6-8BFB-7521C5906A75.jpg

15. Feb 20, 2021 at 12:11 PM
    Gumpus

Gumpus New Member

Member:
    If you look at craigslist or Facebook marketplace you can often find good quality used racks...just look for the ones made to attach to roof rails. Yakima and Thule are two good brands, I have a Thule because nothing is too good for my canoes. Factory crossbars are rated for 130 pounds while a Thule mounted to stock roof rails is rated for 300 pounds. If you spend the money on a new one I'd recommend the models with (quiet) aerodynamic crossbars.
    image.jpg

16. Feb 22, 2021 at 3:11 PM
    taco_runner

Member:
    First Name:
    Kev
    Vehicle:
    4Runner TRD OR Premium
    I just placed my order today. If I want to put more weight on my rack at a later date, I can upgrade by buying their roof rails...

DRobs and Overlandcharlie like this.
  17. Feb 22, 2021 at 3:37 PM
    Mohoman

Mohoman New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Vehicle:
    99 Limited
    Queen of Battle
    Smart choice, I just received my wind fairing yesterday. I have 5 total crossbars from LFD, no complaints and the customer service I've experienced is TOP NOTCH!

18. Feb 22, 2021 at 5:50 PM
    taco_runner

Member:
    First Name:
    Kev
    Vehicle:
    4Runner TRD OR Premium
    Thank you guys for your invaluable input/feedback !!!

nimby likes this.
  19. Mar 6, 2021 at 8:40 AM
    McSpazatron

McSpazatron New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 4runner OR
    Dobinson IMS Warn Bumper CaliRaised Sliders 285/70 K02s
    i like the LFD option, but I worry about it flexing enough that the fairing would hit the roof. Looks like a tight fit.

Ideally I would buy two bars to keep both cost and weight down. My main purpose is to carry an 80lb, 12ft kayak. Can you see the potential for the fairing to hit the roof as it flexes here and there on a rough road?

20. Mar 6, 2021 at 11:02 AM
    Beachguy

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2021 SR5 Premium
    If you look at a front view of the fairing on LFD’s website, specifically the bundle page, it shows a fairing with a straight bottom and a piece of rubber along the bottom. The one that now comes with the kit is cut up and down in the same pattern as the roof. In fact, I had not noticed that until the kit I ordered came with the rubber strip and I couldn’t for the life of me figure out how to put it on. I emailed LFD and got a quick reply that the redesigned fairing isn’t straight like the picture, which I had never noticed either. The reply said that it should be fine without the rubber now.

All that said, I don’t really see how one could get enough weight on just the front crossbar to flex it down a quarter inch, which is about how much space there is between the bottom edge of the fairing and the roof. If all you really need is two crossbars then by all means just get two. You can spend the extra cash on other stuff. I got the kit on sale for Black Friday and saved some coin. Plus I like the way it looks with the fairing on it. Good luck and let me know what kayak mounts you use. I haven’t had mine long enough for a kayak trip but my kayak is calling me today as it’s beautiful outside.

21. Mar 6, 2021 at 3:03 PM
    McSpazatron

McSpazatron New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 4runner OR
    Thanks for the detailed response! I’m gonna have to get them ordered soon since I’m not sure of their lead time, and lakes are starting to melt. :)

Last year I was using my Sienna’s stock rack and rails to move my kayak around. I bought a couple of foam blocks that had the slight V shape to use down the middle of smaller kayaks. However, since mine is wide and flat bottomed I cut the two foam blocks in half to use on each side of a crossrail. Very easy to cinch the yak down very firmly. I'm intending to reuse the same or similar foam blocks but create a mount so I can quickly take them on or off the rails. Right now, they slip over the aero bar which is a pain because they are almost tearing when you stretch them over. The LFD mounts will probably be too big to just stretch them over.

B9FAE957-D07E-4CD4-89B0-085192BD3578.jpg

Last edited: Mar 6, 2021
  22. Mar 10, 2021 at 10:44 PM
    taco_runner

Member:
    First Name:
    Kev
    Vehicle:
    4Runner TRD OR Premium
    I got my LFD Tuesday, I installed them last night, and this morning, I have just seen these rough spots on all 3 cross bars, the front bar is also scuffed up which I already saw last night. Should I complain to LFD ?

LFD_01.jpg
    LFD_02.jpg
    LFD_03.jpg

23. Mar 11, 2021 at 7:09 AM
    SlvrSlug

SlvrSlug Slightly bent.

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Ramona Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2017 4-Runner SR-5 P. Kings, Built Right uca’s, Durabumps, RSG sliders
    I would complain, they should have been prepped before painting, i think that should have been caught.

24. Mar 11, 2021 at 4:31 PM
    SlvrSlug

SlvrSlug Slightly bent.

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Ramona Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2017 4-Runner SR-5 P. Kings, Built Right uca’s, Durabumps, RSG sliders
    I guess your right in a sense, but when we do our research on products, and companies that do quality work it’s a bit of a let down when it takes twice as long to get it and it looks shoddy when you do get it. Might as well get it it from China and get it faster at half the cost. Sorry, it’s just kind of a thing for me, boast made in the U.S.A. But don’t look at it to close when you finally get it.

KilluFirst and McSpazatron like this.
  25. Mar 11, 2021 at 7:47 PM
    taco_runner

Member:
    First Name:
    Kev
    Vehicle:
    4Runner TRD OR Premium
    does LFD have an account here?

26. Mar 14, 2021 at 10:27 AM
    McSpazatron

McSpazatron New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 4runner OR
    Are the racks mild steel or stainless? Can you tell if the paint defects are just gunky powdercoat, or is it painted over weld spatter?

If it is stainless and just paint defects, I probably would just complain, but live with it.

But if is regular mild steel and due to weld spatter, I would worry about the spatter tearing up any straps that go over those areas. I would also predict that is where rust would start.

27. Mar 14, 2021 at 10:46 AM
    McSpazatron

McSpazatron New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 4runner OR
    LFD is having a bad week, it seems. I just got my stainless steel crossbars...one regular one and one with integrated fairing.

I installed the integrated fairing and the damn thing is literally touching the roof in the middle if the span.

Pic from the front:

54D5CCC8-DBE0-44E2-8034-FF8E7CC7201C.jpg

Pic from the back...flashlight beam is illuminating the front so you can see no light getting through middle

36D52C1F-687E-4E07-A784-14A2B1527D19.jpg

Does LFD have a secret phone number or something? I tried playing smoke signals with their online ticket system and it’s frustrating as hell.

I sent a ticket to the tech support to say the metal bars were touching the roof and to double check if Im missing hardware or if they could spot user error in my install. Their response was that tolerances will vary, and that I could put on the rubber weatherstrip they sent. Now I have to wait till monday for them to get my response reminding them weatherstripping wont fit because there is no space between the bar and roof. And so I wait.

I seriously hope they dont try to play this off as acceptable tolerances.

taco_runner[OP] likes this.
  28. Mar 14, 2021 at 10:59 AM
    Moon Landing

Moon Landing AFFTC 1967/68 Eddies Air Patch

Member:
    First Name:
    Jer
    La Quinta, Ca. AKA "The Skillet"
    Vehicle:
    Moon Rock 4Runner
    Nam 68/69
    Not trying to cover for the manufacturer but, could you shim the rails enough to gain the needed clearance?

29. Mar 14, 2021 at 12:39 PM
    mynameistory

mynameistory New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tory
    Vehicle:
    The same 4Runner everyone has
    Yikes. I'm not even sure why you'd design a fairing so tight that you'd need cutouts for the roof ribs. That's just too close for comfort to begin with. More clearance with a rubber strip to fill the gap is a much better design.

I was under the impression that LFD bars were cut and bent from one piece without welding, I don't see any welds in the pictures. That might be plasma splatter from cutting. Ideally you would prep the metal after cutting and bending by sandblasting it. Non-prepped metal will not hold powdercoat well and may start rusting through, depending on the type and finish (cold rolled vs hot rolled, etc.). It's possible that LFD was using brushed finish sheetmetal (before cutting/bending) which will work fine, but perhaps they should pay more attention to what the parts look like after plasma cutting.

30. Mar 14, 2021 at 3:26 PM
    Beachguy

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2021 SR5 Premium
    They don’t attach on top, they go in the slot that the OEM bars come out of. There’s no way to raise them. Mine fit nothing like that. No way will it work with such a close clearance.

Products Discussed in

To Top