1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Planning a build for my stock 05 SR5. Need some pointers.

Discussion in '4th Gen 4Runners (2003-2009)' started by Insaniak, May 25, 2014.

1. May 25, 2014 at 7:21 AM
    Insaniak

Insaniak [OP] 2005 SR5 4wd "Simba"

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2005 4runner "Simba"
    Bought my dream car for offroading, an 05 SR5. But right now it is stock, which is still very capable. I followed my dad in his search and rescue jeep offroading, and my right rear tire was about 4 feet off the ground at one point, it was pretty scary.

I am a 22 year old with a wife, 1 y/o son, and mortgage. So keep low prices in mind. I also don't know a whole lot about cars, maybe a bit more than the average person so I will probably have lots of questions.

Anyway I want to turn it into a beast that is still a good family car. I took the running boards off and it looks way better.

I want to lift it but I heard if you lift it it will not be as smooth the higher you go so I was thinking maybe 2", but don't know if I want a spacer or suspension lift. I am planning on using it for road trips to go to camping spots around Utah so it needs to stay fine on the highways. Which should I get?

I also want to upgrade tire size eventually , right now I have 265/70/17 I think. It came with nearly brand new tires. How big of a tire size can I go without upgrading other parts like gears or whatever?

I also want is an offroad bumper of some kind to make it look more badass and be a bit more capable to keep up with my dad and his jeeping group. Is it just as important to get a rear bumper as it is to get a front one? What would you suggest for them?

I also eventually want a roof rack, I hear gobi racks are awesome but they look expensive. What other options are there out there?

What is the most important thing to upgrade first for offroading?

Last edited: May 25, 2014
  2. May 26, 2014 at 12:05 PM
    TravRunner

TravRunner New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    2006 Galactic Gray SR5 4WD
    scratches, stickers, and shredded wheel bearings
    I would first invest in some new shocks & coils. I had a spacer lift kit for a while but it was pretty rough on the road and didnt help much offroad. Toytec offers lots of suspension packages at different prices. Mine is about 3 1/2" lifted and it rides like a cloud with the bilstein shocks & old man emu coils.

With tires i would stay with a 265/70/17 if you don't want to rub or trim because you are rubbing your tires. I have 285/75/16s and a regear isnt necessary but you can definitely tell there is a loss of power.

Bumpers are helpful. i put mine to the test this weekend and i know if i had a stock one, the plastic would of just bent and dented. steel bumpers are super expensive though. you're gonna be spending atleast 1000 including shipping.

my rack is a yakima load warrior, not the heaviest duty or biggest one but it was pretty cheap, i believe like just 200.

also i would invest in rock sliders if you want to take it on some gnarly trails. I still dont have them and my rocker panels are scraped and bruised from rocks.

Insaniak[OP] and Bob like this.
  3. Dec 11, 2014 at 10:42 PM
    griff 05

griff 05 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Vehicle:
    '05 4Runner SR5 V8
    Need to install: TC Spindles/knuckles, Fox Front and Rear 2.5 RR, TC UCAs, Transmission Cooler and BAMF Sliders
    I have the same truck and sm in the process of upgrading a lot of things. In addition to the aforementioned, i would add skid plates. If price is a concern, ome may be a good option to start off with. I'd get the heavy duty coils if you plan on adding an after market bumper. You may want to consider after market upper control arms, too. Winch and other recovery equipment. You can obviously do this piece meal, which is what I'm doing, but be prepared to drop some cash. Keep an eye out on forums for used/discounted items, which can offset costs as well. Start getting some wrench time: do research etc. If you do a lot of the install work yourself you'll save a lot of money!!!

4. Jan 18, 2015 at 9:36 PM
    SnoSki_UT

SnoSki_UT New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Vehicle:
    04 Limited-Black
    @Insaniak , have you started work on your 4Runner. I too live it UT and need to do same.

5. Jan 19, 2015 at 12:42 PM
    Ol'Blue

Ol'Blue New Member

Member:
    "Not all who wander are lost"
    Vehicle:
    99 T4R LTD- 33's and locked, 01 SR5-,SAS Sold...
    A few things here and there. Still dreaming up stuff
    Best Advise- Sit down and come up with a solid plan first so you do not do the same work twice or three times.

Blue

nuclearn8 likes this.
  6. Aug 2, 2019 at 6:09 AM
    captsolo

captsolo New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    nassau bahamas
    Vehicle:
    2005 SR5
    Did you change the rear differential fluid? How's the rust on your 2005 SR5?

Keep the original shocks (McPhersons) or go with only OEM (McPhersons) - or you be sorry!

I have a 2005 SR5 with 150,000 and she runs and rides like in 2005 when I bought it new.

I once changed the shocks and tires on a GMC Jimmy, and the ride got worse.

Just drive it. Toyota builds a great 4runner. Nobody even builds a "real" truck/4runner frame today - except Toyota,

Last edited: Aug 6, 2019
  7. Aug 2, 2019 at 10:19 AM
    danssr5

danssr5 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    2017 sr5 premium 4x4
    bridgestone revo 3 5100's @2.5/1.5. Stock springs & rear daystar 1.5" spacers
    With This Truck as everyone has said you really need to know what you are doing picking a shock or a spring. Since you are talking "low prices" you might want to ask yourself questions like.

1. Will i really spend 1000.00 for each bumper? You are already talking 2k+ here. If you buy these first it will weigh your rig down lowering it
    2. Skids can be expensive and add to the overall cost and even more weight.
    3. Sliders start at about 500.00 and probably in your budget. Again do you know if you need these? and of course they weigh you down.
    4. Does the wife want to be in the truck while you get a wheel off the ground. serious question.
    5. Talk to your dad and see what he thinks you should do

you have 2 places that you can start and that would be tires or lift.

Since you mentioned "low prices" you probably want to start off looking at bilstein 5100's and see if they are for you. Going this route you have many spring choices and based on your last trip sounds like you need as much lift as you can get while keeping the ride reliable. I would say based on reading that the wheelers off road springs and also the old man EMU springs are very popular. using the stock springs it feels like the shock is slightly over damped for the stock spring.

Wheelers offroad has front and rear springs that will get you 2.5 inches up front and 1.5 in the rear while giving you a slightly stiffer spring which will match the shock better.

as far as tires you can go 275 or 285. P rated or LT rated. To save $$ loo into just keeping the stock wheel and upgrade the tire when its time.

TravRunner.... what spring part # EMU coils are you running front and rear?

Thanks!

Products Discussed in

To Top