1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Oil filters mixup - 04152-YZZA1 vs 04152-YZZA5

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by redfield, Oct 31, 2022.

1. Oct 31, 2022 at 8:03 AM
    redfield

redfield [OP] New Member

Member:

Attached Files:

2. Oct 31, 2022 at 8:08 AM
    Slopemaster

Slopemaster Slope Survivalist

Member:
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5
    265-70-17 Ridge Grapplers, TRD Pro rims, 3M precut bra, N-Fab nerf/steps
    My guess is that the shorter filter will allow some oil to circulate without being filtered.

If it was me, I would replace the filter with the correct one. You don’t need to replace the oil, but may need to add a little.

3. Oct 31, 2022 at 8:25 AM
    rickystl

rickystl New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    St. Louis, MO
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD/Off-Road Premium
    Much agree with Post #2. I think I read that the A1 filter is for the RAV4 and similar engines. You need the A5. This seems to be a somewhat common mistake when purchasing Toyota filters. Keep the empty A5 box on your shelf as a reminder when the next oil change comes due.

Slopemaster and redfield[OP] like this.
  4. Oct 31, 2022 at 8:36 AM
    redfield

redfield [OP] New Member

Member:
    Thanks for the answers
    Can I at least drive to a store? :)

5. Oct 31, 2022 at 9:01 AM
    ChessGuy

ChessGuy New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    LR
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD Pro / 2017 Tacoma TRD Pro
    Too many..... Performance: • Magnusum Supercharger • Gibson exhaust with dual black tip • Pedal Commander * PowerBrakes • Suspension – Old Man Emu BP-51 front and back with Medium load coils • Tires: AT3 Faulken Wildpeak – 285/70/17 • Wheels: Relations Race Wheels, RR7-H with -12 offset • Full roof rack and ladder by Westcott Design (removed the stock Yakima basket) • Molle storage panels by Rago fabrication • Front light brackets by Rago • Illuminator light bracket by Rago (roof rack location) Lights • Morimoto front and back with sequential signals • Morimoto fog lights and side mirrors with sequential signals • 40” Baja design light bar for roof rack • 20” S8 Baja design driving combo (winch location) • Squadron sport baja design ditch lights • S2 Chase lights by baja designs (mounted on roof) In the bay: • Odyssey 34-PC Battery • SDQH Aluminum billet battery terminals and bracket • Switch Pro 9100 with aluminum tray • Anytime front and back camera • ARB twin compressor Recovery & Protection: • Smittybilt X20 synthetic rope winch • Factor 55 fairlead and flatlink • Southern Style Off-road (SSO) low profile bumper • SSO stage 2 high clearance wings • Weekend warrior recovery kit by treaty oak • RCI – skid plates – entire vehicle + catalytic converter protection wings Interior: • Nano Ceramic IR – Avery Dennison Window tint – all windows • Several phone mounts • Upgraded Rear Hatch lift gate struts (ladder is heavy) • Boom blaster horn switch (featuring La cucaracha)
    I don't think it is a big deal to drive with the short one. Now, most of us know the sound of our vehicles when they are idle, try to hear it and see if you notice something different than before. If you do, then go ahead and replace for the correct one. My guess is that you are ok this time, but don't do it again! Good luck.

6. Oct 31, 2022 at 9:21 AM
    Overland WT

Overland WT Grumpy Old Guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    West Texas
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Off Road
    Many with many more to go
    As I recall this was an issue from Toyota during the pandemic and they replaced the one for the other. If Toyota replaced it, I wouldn't worry about it and next oil change I'd try to find the OE filter that was intended for it, if they are available.

On average, your oil will circulate roughly 12,000x through the filter over about 3,000 miles. I'd say its safe to say that a slightly shorter filter will not affect overall filtration.

What is the difference in height between them?

7. Oct 31, 2022 at 9:28 AM
    redfield

redfield [OP] New Member

Member:
    It's hard to know - the old one is already recycled and the new one is already inside

Products Discussed in

To Top