1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Oil and brake advice for a 2001 Sport with 146k miles

Discussion in '3rd Gen 4Runners (1996-2002)' started by LIT4RQ, Dec 5, 2017.

1. Dec 5, 2017 at 3:15 PM
    LIT4RQ

LIT4RQ [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Q
    Vehicle:
    2001 Millennium Silver 4Runner Sport
    Hello all, just bought my first 4Runner. I got an 01' sport with 146k in millennium silver. It was a 1 owner vehicle and serviced at Toyota religiously. Seems like conventional oil changes were done since new. Should I switch to synthetics or blends now or continue with the conventional? The valve cover gaskets were done last year if that has any bearing. Also, I want to replace the front rotors and brakes as there is a little shaking during moderate to heavy braking. Any advice on what brand works best? Please don't tell me to do the Tundra upgrade as it is beyond my mechanical scope and wallet at the time :rolleyes:. Thanks in advance for any help

2. Dec 6, 2017 at 4:22 AM
    RonT4R

RonT4R New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Virginia Beach
    Vehicle:
    2007 4runner SR5 4WD
    The oil is totally up to you. As far as the brakes I am not too picky when it comes to rotors but I only use factory Toyota brake pads, I tried the generic Duralast and found they did not stop as well and I got the brake shudder instantly. immediately went to Toyota and bought the factory pads and installed them and I have been happy.

LIT4RQ[OP] and Bob like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top