1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

OEM TRDPRO roof basket useful?

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by canadian.bacon, Aug 5, 2020.

1. Aug 5, 2020 at 10:19 AM
    canadian.bacon

canadian.bacon [OP] H9 halogen is the best led bulb

Member:
    Snowland
    Vehicle:
    ‘22 Tesla Model Y
    Hello,
    new to 4R so i am kinda overwhelmed by the options. I like the look of the OEM TRDPRO roof basket, getting a TRD OR. Should I spring the $$$ for the OEM basket or should I go for an NFab or similar 3rd party? I want my sunroof to be clear. Is the OEM one useful enough or just looks? It seems it is open on the front and has 2 crossbars, so an additional basket will be required.
    I will do light trails and camping, would a roof box be more practical, including long road trips?

2. Aug 5, 2020 at 11:04 AM
    flyinhoot

flyinhoot When in doubt, Throttle out.

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Nor Cal
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD Pro 4Runner "Trudy"
    Monochrome everything. LED reverse lights.
    are you talking about what comes with the Off road which is just two cross bars (I think) or the TRD Pro rack which actually has 5 crossbars and sides. If you're thinking the latter it is still useful. It can hold a big cargo bag and has lots of different points to secure straps from. Is it as useful as a wider aftermarket rack, probably not.

Thatbassguy likes this.
  3. Aug 5, 2020 at 11:19 AM
    Jynarik

Jynarik I like boobies

Member:
    Austin Texas
    Vehicle:
    2019 trd pro voodoo
    Just google roof basket and buy the same thing at a fraction of OEM price. It’s probably a yakima or Baja. Useful pending what you want to use it for :)

Thatbassguy likes this.
  4. Aug 5, 2020 at 11:19 AM
    Jynarik

Jynarik I like boobies

Member:
    Austin Texas
    Vehicle:
    2019 trd pro voodoo
    oh yeah if you’re talking about the pro one it’s a piece of shit lol. Basket I think of what comes on the venture

5. Aug 5, 2020 at 11:28 AM
    canadian.bacon

Member:
    Snowland
    Vehicle:
    ‘22 Tesla Model Y
    that's correct, the black one, OEM, that comes on the venture as well.

6. Aug 5, 2020 at 11:52 AM
    Jynarik

Jynarik I like boobies

Member:
    Austin Texas
    Vehicle:
    2019 trd pro voodoo
  7. Aug 5, 2020 at 8:10 PM
    canadian.bacon

Member:
    Snowland
    Vehicle:
    ‘22 Tesla Model Y
    ^that looks good and the price is killer, thanks !

8. Aug 6, 2020 at 4:52 PM
    canadian.bacon

Member:
    Snowland
    Vehicle:
    ‘22 Tesla Model Y
  9. Aug 6, 2020 at 10:16 PM
    flyinhoot

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Nor Cal
    Vehicle:
    canadian.bacon[OP] likes this.
  10. Aug 7, 2020 at 3:37 AM
    canadian.bacon

Member:
    Snowland
    Vehicle:
    ‘22 Tesla Model Y
    Seems to be a lot cheaper. I find the look of the racks that go on the crossbars a bit unfinished. From I have been reading, a decent rack costs money and doesn’t rust. The low cost ones always rust.

4Paw likes this.
  11. Aug 7, 2020 at 5:19 AM
    Red_5

Red_5 New Member

Member:
    Have you considered the Niserack option? All aluminum, so zero rust. You have to do more of the legwork because you've got to paint the brackets and custom order the crossbars, but the total price is much cheaper than the one you posted, and the quality is high. His brackets are a work of art.

https://www.niserack.com/shop

[​IMG]

Thatbassguy likes this.
  12. Aug 7, 2020 at 6:36 AM
    Jynarik

Jynarik I like boobies

Member:
    Austin Texas
    Vehicle:
    2019 trd pro voodoo
    the pro rack is garbage. 110lb weight limit and piss poor ability to store anything.

13. Aug 7, 2020 at 6:56 AM
    Thatbassguy

Thatbassguy New member? Really??

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    RSG sliders, Yakima offgrid basket, Pro-Comp wheels, SOS Streamline bumper and skids, Warn VR EVO10S winch + Ultimate Sidewinder, Bilstein 6112 + 5100 + rear lift coils, Rigid Dually SS ditch lights w/Caliraised brackets and OEM style dash switch
    I would say that a 110# limit is a big disadvantage to the aftermarket racks. But, it will depend on each user.

A&P likes this.
  14. Aug 7, 2020 at 7:05 AM
    koukimonster

koukimonster DYNO4

Member:
    Appalachia
    Vehicle:
    Midnight Venture
    Bigger A/T LT Tires, Slight Lift, Sliders, Rack, Lights, etc.
    lol at the hate on the PRO rack.

To each his own. I have a Venture (equally hated on lmao) that came with crossbars and a black Yakima MegaWarrior basket. It looked cool and could hold a ton, but I immediately changed from the Rails/Crossbars/YakimaBasket to the PRO rack.

Here's why:
    1. Cleaning: With a basket mounted to the stock rails, it's basically impossible to clean the roof of the truck. Sure you could rig up some sort of rag on the end of a stick, but who has time for that? From what I can tell, the PRO rack gives just enough clearance in between the "basket" and roof to get a skinny hand/arm, like mine, in there with a rag.
    2. Aesthetics: I personally like the look of baskets on 4Runners (or any other "overland" type real SUV) and so I wanted something up there. I find the PRO rack to be the perfect blend of looks, function, and required maintenance (ability to clean roof, as well as maintenance of the actual basket itself). Also, I've yet to see a full length aftermarket rack that didn't look like it was designed by a 10 year old using MS Paint. Where they all seem to mount to the truck always looks like super basic blocks of metal, etc. Now, I'm new around here, so I haven't seen every option available I'm sure, but that's just my first impression of the aftermarket racks that bolt to the actual roof and not bars.
    3. Function: Sure it can't hold well over a hundred pounds, but I'm not putting my mother in law up there. It's plenty for what I need.. a large waterproof duffel, perhaps a cooler, some recovery gear, a super nasty muddy blown tire that I don't want to deal with putting below, etc. I highly doubt that weight limit will ever come into play during it's life with me. It's really not super large, so you aren't putting a whole lot up there regardless.
    4. Price: For what it is, it's pricey if you can even find one (that OEM tax), but it's still less expensive than most aftermarket options out there once you total in the cost of bars (if needed), powder coating, etc.

If you're interested in the Yakima, shoot me a message as I'd be happy to let it go. I also have the black crossbars.

A&P and canadian.bacon[OP] like this.
  15. Aug 7, 2020 at 7:12 AM
    koukimonster

koukimonster DYNO4

Member:
    Appalachia
    Vehicle:
    Midnight Venture
    Fact probably is that most of us don't need any storage up there anyway. Unless my girl pops out 3 kids in the next year, or we go on a two week long road trip, I really can't see us exceeding the already HUGE amount of interior space the 4Runner affords. As you said OP, if you're going on long road trips, a roof BOX might be a better option. They're pricey, though.

A&P likes this.
  16. Aug 7, 2020 at 7:25 AM
    Red_5

Red_5 New Member

Member:
    I agree. The exception, for me, is my Rotopax gas cans. Can't have those in the cab. ;)

17. Aug 7, 2020 at 7:32 AM
    NiseRack

NiseRack New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Vehicle:
    2017 SR5 4X4
    SSO rocksliders and a NiseRack
    Hi, I'm Jason designer of the "NiseRack". I built it because I wanted a rack that utilized the perfectly good roof rails but had the functionality of other racks that were more expensive. I don't sell the bars because simply if I did, they'd be more expensive than the other options out there.

Since I've not had anyone order from this site yet, I'll drop a coupon code for the first 3 orders from here.

Using Coupon Code 4Runners.com gets you 20% off your order.

canadian.bacon[OP] likes this.
  18. Aug 7, 2020 at 7:33 AM
    Red_5

Red_5 New Member

Member:
    Well dang. I wish I'd had this when I ordered a few weeks ago! :p

19. Aug 7, 2020 at 7:36 AM
    canadian.bacon

Member:
    Snowland
    Vehicle:
    ‘22 Tesla Model Y
    what, the pro basket is rated to only 110lb? is that static or dynamic?
    I can see myself going close to that limit....2 coolers filled up with beer, that's about 40lb right there. Another cooler with some canned good, a few gallons of water...and you are looking at easy another 40lb.
    i guess I could make it work.
    I do have to admit, I like the looks of that OEM basket. It seems the dealers want a TRDPro VIN to order one.
    The nfab is full aluminum and it states 150lb on the website and 125lb in the initial installation pdf. Some reports mention its crossrails bend a bit, but do not touch the roof.

A&P likes this.
  20. Aug 7, 2020 at 7:38 AM
    20AGPro

20AGPro New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 Army Green TRD Pro 4Runner
    I also like the Pro rack. One of the reasons I went with the TRD Pro to be honest. Does all I need for sure. The crossbars can be moved and it’s large enough for me. One option I saw a guy use it for was a matching spare and that was pretty cool to be honest. If one likes the look of the pro rack and is not carrying multiple hundreds of lbs then I think it’s a good rack and looks awesome.

A&P likes this.
  21. Aug 7, 2020 at 7:48 AM
    NiseRack

NiseRack New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Vehicle:
    2017 SR5 4X4
    Red_5 I'm working on the faring now. Once I get everything set up if you are interested shoot me an email and we can work something out. :)

Red_5[QUOTED] likes this.
  22. Aug 7, 2020 at 7:50 AM
    canadian.bacon

Member:
    Snowland
    Vehicle:
    ‘22 Tesla Model Y
    Jason, they look super cool, but I still have to buy a basket for them crossbars and I am back to square one...
    I will need to spend time and money to powder-coat them and then look for an aluminum option for the basket.
    I saw OEM replicas on ebay for like 400$-500$, but there are reports of bad fittings and rust, so might as well buy a real one and be done with it.

At my age, I am too poor to buy cheap. A bad one will rust in 2-3 years, maybe even stain my roof (white) and then I have to buy another one. I am sure an OEM one will last for many years.
    Buy once, cry once :)

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  23. Aug 7, 2020 at 8:06 AM
    koukimonster

koukimonster DYNO4

Member:
    Appalachia
    Vehicle:
    Midnight Venture
    I snagged my PRO rack for $625 total shipped to me. I'd do that a million times over before purchasing one of those knock-offs on eBay. Regardless with your decision, good luck! And again, if anyone's looking for a Yakima basket..... hit me up! :devil:

A&P likes this.
  24. Aug 7, 2020 at 8:13 AM
    canadian.bacon

Member:
    Snowland
    Vehicle:
    ‘22 Tesla Model Y
    Where did you get yours from ?

25. Aug 7, 2020 at 9:12 AM
    NiseRack

NiseRack New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Vehicle:
    2017 SR5 4X4

I completely understand where you are coming from. I once purchased a very expensive pair of shoes. My wife blew a gasket (we are frugal too). I told her the cost of ownership across the years is actually lower than if I buy cheaper shoes due to the lasting quality.

As for the brackets that I sell they are made of 5250 Aluminum. It's referred to as marine grade in some cases. It's the same stuff they make aluminum boats and street signs from. It's not going to deteriorate or rust over time. I also use stainless hardware for all but one component. That component is automotive grade and is zinc phosphate coated so rust shouldn't be an issue. I don't sell my brackets powder coated because I can't find a vendor to do it for a price that I consider reasonable. It would elevate the cost and I'd have to pass that along. Another reason that I don't do it is that any coating will be largely cosmetic in nature. Powder coating while tougher in most cases is done for corrosion resistance. Since it's not needed here it's pretty much a waste of money. If you'd like the brackets a different color, you can hit them with some rattle can paint and have the same result. The picture you see above is actually my wife's vehicle. I powdercoated the factory side rails and sprayed the plastic end caps and my brackets with John Deere "Blitz Black". While installing my set up for the first time, I actually scratched the powdercoated finish that I had paid for. I wasn't happy. The paint that you see has held up for the last year without issue and I think it cost me around 7 bucks for the can.

As far as the crossbars they are anodized from the supplier and I'm not seeing an issue and I've been using the NiseRack for a year.

If you need a basket thought that's a whole other ballgame and I understand your apprehension. That said, I do appreciate you taking time to respond.

26. Aug 7, 2020 at 10:09 AM
    Johnrg

Johnrg New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD Off Road
    Not a fan of most roof racks. I don't want to spend more time than necessary up there to save my back. That said, with most of those racks you'll never be able to effectively wash the roof or wax. I saved over 10k on buying the TRD OR. I have found the stock 2 crossbars adequate for me to carry a pair of maxtrax and an awning. If a basket is needed Yakima makes a slim and larger basket. A basket in any case may make the vehicle not fit in a garage so an issue for me as is potential wind noise. Just another point of view. The TRD OR or OR Premium is a great value. Not a fan of basket racks unless necessary. Here is the skinny Yak basket that can work with the stock crossbars. https://www.autoanything.com/roof-r...fda30233137f7fa14ca&utm_term=4580496728186203

27. Aug 7, 2020 at 10:14 AM
    flyinhoot

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Nor Cal
    Vehicle:

True. But they can sure come in handy if you are out on weeklong camp trips and have two dogs that take up all the cargo space.

28. Aug 7, 2020 at 10:17 AM
    Johnrg

Johnrg New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD Off Road
    I hear you. Sadly my dog is gone so just me travelling solo or he'd have the entire back of the rig and dog hair everywhere. Lol

29. Aug 7, 2020 at 10:33 AM
    Jynarik

Jynarik I like boobies

Member:
    Austin Texas
    Vehicle:
    2019 trd pro voodoo
    obviously you don’t camp with your 4runner.

30. Aug 7, 2020 at 12:51 PM
    canadian.bacon

Member:
    Snowland
    Vehicle:
    ‘22 Tesla Model Y
    well. well, the dealer said no to my request to purchase one, I guess I have to try the forums here or a more "willing to negotiate" dealer

Products Discussed in

To Top