1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Newb 17-inch 4Runner wheel/tire

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by mattskii, Nov 19, 2022.

1. Nov 19, 2022 at 7:41 PM
    mattskii

mattskii [OP] New Member

Member:
    Sorry for the dumb question (newb here) - I have a 2020 4Runner SR5 Premium. Originally purchased with 17-inch TRD Black wheels with A/T 265 70/17 tires. I would like to go to a beefier look with also a possible 2-3” lift. Can I do that with my existing 17-inch wheels with different size tires? Or should I go to 18-inch wheels? And do I need the lift? Appreciate any advice! Thank you in advance! -matt s.

Gajomatic likes this.
  2. Nov 19, 2022 at 8:46 PM
    kmeeg

kmeeg LionRunner

Member:
    100% you should stay with 17in wheels. Its very simple.

17in wheels allow you to get more rubber. If you go higher like 18,20, or even dumb 22,24 wheels you loose rubber. So even on road if you hit a pothole there is more cushion not to damage the wheel. Or even if you hit a curb you have more rubber. It will be the same story when you go offroad. This is why I changed my 20in wheels on the Limited to 17in wheels. 20in were not practical even for city use here in CO.

Since 17in are more popular you have more 17in wheels and tires options. Also the prices of tires are relatively cheaper.

You can go one size higher like 275/70R17 without a lift but it doesn't have any good options for me. Most are Load E tires that you will loose comfort and Load C option is extremely heavy, heavier than a Load E tire.

With a little lift and very minor bumper trimming you can go to tire size like 285/70R17. It has so many tire options including softer options with standard load or medium level Load C tires.

There is another tire size 255/80R17 you can go with a little lift but that tire is only available in Load E rating so you will loose on road comfort.

Lift options and tire brand is a rabit hole so search around, read the post that we argue with each other. You will get lot of info.

2BEZ, Gajomatic, Thatbassguy and 2 others like this.
  3. Nov 19, 2022 at 11:51 PM
    Thatbassguy

Thatbassguy New member? Really??

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    RSG sliders, Yakima offgrid basket, Pro-Comp wheels, SOS Streamline bumper and skids, Warn VR EVO10S winch + Ultimate Sidewinder, Bilstein 6112 + 5100 + rear lift coils, Rigid Dually SS ditch lights w/Caliraised brackets and OEM style dash switch

Nailed it!

2BEZ, Gajomatic and kmeeg[QUOTED] like this.
  4. Nov 20, 2022 at 7:21 AM
    mattskii

mattskii [OP] New Member

Member:
    Thank you so much! Very comprehensive and gives me some good ideas to move forward with. Cheers!

5. Nov 20, 2022 at 11:33 AM
    Gajomatic

Gajomatic New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Vehicle:
    2023 4Runner Off Road (on order)
    @kmeeg Can I further the “dumb question” thread? If the first number (say, 265 or 275) in the tire size is the width in mm (which is 10.4-10.8 inches) and they both fit on the same size 8.5 inch rim, when increasing tire width, do you reduce the chances of rubbing by going with a lower offset rim? 2nd question: how do you know when you need to move to a wider rim?

Products Discussed in

To Top