1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New to the 4Runner Community (Want to buy a Nightshade)

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by thkbaron, Mar 25, 2021.

1. Mar 25, 2021 at 6:06 AM
    thkbaron

thkbaron [OP] New Member

Member:
    I'm going to be heading to the Toyota Dealer tomorrow to potentially get the paperwork going on a Nightshade.

Up until now most of the SUV's we've owned have been mopar related. Grand Cherokees and right now we own a Durango R/T. Nothing wrong with the R/T but we find ourselves wanting something more capable.

I'm a complete newbie when it comes to these vehicles and Toyota in general. All I know about Toyota is that you see a lot less of them in the shop. Now don't bash Dodge too much as I own a Power Wagon and love it. haha

I do know that the first order of things would be to get rid of the 245's that come on the Nightshade and go bigger. I'd do the whole wheel but it'll probably be a lease so I'll hang on to those. It'll have a third row as an option as well. We want the night shade because we have to have the third row (well the wife does) and we want leather and I hate chrome.

Thoughts and opinions greatly appreciated.

2. Mar 25, 2021 at 7:08 AM
    SlvrSlug

SlvrSlug Slightly bent.

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Ramona Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2017 4-Runner SR-5 P. Kings, Built Right uca’s, Durabumps, RSG sliders
    Welcome to the forum.

3. Mar 25, 2021 at 9:17 AM
    koukimonster

koukimonster DYNO4

Member:
    Appalachia
    Vehicle:
    Midnight Venture
    Bigger A/T LT Tires, Slight Lift, Sliders, Rack, Lights, etc.
    Welcome.

You could go with an SR5 premium? Those can get a 3rd row and have the Softex "leather." But the Limited might have real leather.. I'm not sure. It definitely has cooled seats, which is nice.

That said, the Nightshades are sick, and if they were the same price as my Venture, I'd have a hard time choosing!

@kmeeg upgraded the tires on his Limited, and IMO it looked badass.

kmeeg likes this.
  4. Mar 25, 2021 at 9:28 AM
    kmeeg

kmeeg LionRunner

Member:
    Thank you :cookiemonster: for your kind words. You know who got the best looking Limited? I say @Daytonaviolet have the best looking Limited around here. I hope @Daytonaviolet won't mind sharing a pic.

(For anyone who don't know about this Limited, trust me this is a Limited.)

[​IMG]

Toy4X4, Singleminded and NotaTRD like this.
  5. Mar 25, 2021 at 3:35 PM
    thkbaron

thkbaron [OP] New Member

Member:
    Yeah apparently my wife wants cooled seats. Haha. What size tire can I go with? No way will I be happy with 245s. It probably won’t get lifted.

6. Mar 25, 2021 at 3:42 PM
    kmeeg

kmeeg LionRunner

Member:
    I think without lift you can do 265/70R17 if you buy 17in wheels.

I had 275/55R20 before with 2.5in front & 1.5in rear lift. Now I have 285/70R17 with same lift;
    [​IMG]

Toy4X4 likes this.
  7. Mar 25, 2021 at 9:14 PM
    thkbaron

thkbaron [OP] New Member

Member:
    275 55 20 seems the way to go if I stick with stock tires. I’ll see what the say tomorrow

8. Mar 26, 2021 at 2:42 AM
    Toy4X4

Toy4X4 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Vehicle:
    2020 Offroad Prem. 4-runner
    RevTek 3" front- 2" rear leveling, JBA uca's, LED interior lights, Cooper 275-70-17 AT3 LT
    Welcome from Wisconsin!

9. Mar 26, 2021 at 5:20 AM
    Ironguy

Ironguy New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ralph
    Bisbee AZ
    Vehicle:
    2020 Black 4Runner Venture 1967 FJ40 Land Cruiser
    New pine scent hanger, new sun shade
    Welcome!

10. Mar 26, 2021 at 6:01 AM
    J Who?

J Who? New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    Vehicle:
    2021 4Runner Nightshade
    None.........yet.
    Lol, I was in the same boat.... pulled the trigger last night. Moved out of a 2017 Dodge Durango GT for the 4Runner Nightshade. I loved the look of the Durango but it gave me countless issues. Based off my brothers and countless others positive experience with Toyota I decided to make the leap... 80 miles in and love it. Good Luck!

11. Mar 26, 2021 at 2:38 PM
    thkbaron

thkbaron [OP] New Member

Member:
    Well the dealer wants to make too much money. They can sit a while. I'm not in a hurry. Helps to know I have the only loaded RT with low miles in the area. All they need to do is make 1000 less on mine and I'll get the nightshade. haha

12. Mar 26, 2021 at 3:01 PM
    kmeeg

kmeeg LionRunner

Member:
    You might want to send emails to dealerships to find good prices.

Only my first 4Runner SR5 is love at first site. Other 2 4Runners were bought after lot of emails negotiating with different Toyota dealerships around me. Who ever gives me better deal over email I go there and discuss to discount more.

For my Limited I wanted 7 seats and auto running boards. I sent emails to dealerships which are not too far from me and I was willing to drive and see. I did like the X-reas on my Limited but had to throw them away since I lifted right away.

For my TRD Offroad I wanted a one without KDSS + with heated seats and optional no moonroof. (yes I don't like moon roof. I want to keep the car cool as much as possible and protected from hail). But couldn't find all combinations. I was able to get no KDSS and heated seats but with moonroof.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2021
  13. Mar 28, 2021 at 12:31 PM
    thkbaron

thkbaron [OP] New Member

Member:
    yeah they want my Durango so I'm going to let them sweat it out a bit. We don't need to get rid of it so I don't care so much. It's hard to get used vehicles right now so the balls in my court. The one thing my wife pointed out is that the limited series have a different front end. I'm not so sure how much of a fan I am of it. I notice that skid plates and running boards and stuff are different for the limit series as well. can you use the other boards on them? Just curious.

14. Apr 4, 2021 at 5:49 PM
    thkbaron

thkbaron [OP] New Member

Member:
    Ok well they don't want to drop price and are not cooperating on the Durango. I've spoken with the wife and we are re evaluating her "needs". Thinking about doing an SR5 premium since she has to have the third row. Aside from suspension and the 4 wheel drive system, dual climate control (which I don't like), memory seats, and ventilated where's the big downside? I found a place that makes plug and play sound systems so that's solved.

Things that would change almost immediately will be different wheels/tires, the stereo system and a small lift. I'm a rookie with regards to 4runners but am quite capable in the suspension department. I've put in a 4.5 inch CST lift in my previous Silverado and I just got done doing fox shocks and new springs on my now 2018 Power Wagon. What's my best option without breaking the bank on a small lift for the 4Runner. If we end up pulling the trigger. Thanks! And if you don't think I'll get good traction with this thread, I can definitely search for answers or start a new thread.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2021
  15. Apr 7, 2021 at 5:21 AM
    thkbaron

thkbaron [OP] New Member

Member:
    Any opinions welcome.

16. Apr 8, 2021 at 8:26 AM
    esavi87

esavi87 .

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD ORP/'15 SR5 Prem/'99 Limited
    Welcome! I currently have an SR5 Premium w/ 3rd row, and can definately provide a little insight.(I will be upgrading to the TRD ORP soon, as I did not get 4x4 and want the better capabilities than my current one offers) I was always a huge fan of the limiteds (I previously had a 1999 limited), so when I went to upgrade I automatically leaned towards that package. I also hate chrome and did not like the 'mom minivan' look of the limited front end, which is when I started researching and found the Sr5 Premium, which is basically a hybrid of agressive looks/creature comforts. Downsides are basically what you've already listed. If you're not constantly switching drivers, memory seats really won't be missed. The ventilated seats would be nice, but the softex heated seats are just as good in my opinon, as well as easier to clean. You can get these in 4WD, which may be a nice option if that's something your wife wants. If you do any camping or offroading, I would definately recommend investing in that option. With the 3rd row seats, it will add about 6" of lost cargo room in the back, as well as added weight. I bought mine with 3rd row as a requirement thinking I would use it a lot since I'm the primary driver, and in 2.5 years have not opened those puppies up and used them once. But, that's just me...only saying to really consider if it's worth the trade off, and if it will actually be used.
    As for your lift, there are good Eibach kits that run about 700, and can be found on sale for about 500. I don't have the info handy, but if you end up purchasing, shoot me a message and I'll find it for you if you like. If your budget is slightly higher, I have info on better ones too that have been recommended to me by a very trusted friend who does off road builds.
    In the meantime, good luck! Sounds like you've got the upper hand, and I hope that you and the wife find a great deal on exactly what you want. :)

17. Apr 8, 2021 at 8:38 AM
    kmeeg

kmeeg LionRunner

Member:
    The biggest reason I got the Limited for my wife is the full-time 4wd system.

She had complains about changing 2wd-4wd and back when there is ice patches on the road. In fact one day she skid a little bit forgetting to switch to 4wd. So I gave her a Limited.

The manual shifter on the TRD is the worst for her..:p

Products Discussed in

To Top