1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New member with a few questions

Discussion in '3rd Gen 4Runners (1996-2002)' started by kpthefatty, Jul 9, 2014.

1. Jul 9, 2014 at 3:14 PM
    kpthefatty

kpthefatty [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2000 4Runner SR5
    Hey there everyone. I recently picked up a 2000 4Runner. It has a few issues. The most obvious is the fact that the shocks are completely blown. I plan on replacing with Ranchos in the front and rear. Any opinions on the Ranchos? Or better options?

Secondly, the CEL is not lit up, but I had a suspicion that it doesn't work (either blown bulb or someone pulled it out.) Either way, I hooked up my scanner and checked for codes. I came up with 3 error codes: P0171, P0125, and P0141. I did a little research and discovered that the P0171 is often the MAF. I cleaned that this afternoon. We will see if that helped. My research also tells me the other two codes should be fixed with an upstream A/F sensor. I plan on buying the Denso. I think that is the OEM, correct?

Finally, there are a few lights on the interior that don't work. Like I mentioned above, the CEL doesn't work. How big of a pain is it to tear into these dashes to replace that. The other interior light doesn't work is the radio back lighting. Can these lights be replaced?

Thanks in advance.

2. Jul 9, 2014 at 6:06 PM
    wnelax04sr5

wnelax04sr5 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ethan
    CT
    Vehicle:
    2004 SR5 4X4 Galactic Gray
    as far as shocks go, the ranchos seemed to be liked by those who install them, but many more use bilstein 5100 series and love them, i personally have those, The stock A/F and MAF are denso's, you are correct.

As far as dash lights, talk to @Emelianenkov , thats his shit.

Bob likes this.
  3. Jul 9, 2014 at 10:31 PM
    Dezert4Runner

Dezert4Runner New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2000 V6 4WD 5spd
    Let's put it this way, Rancho's aren't on the top of anyone's list, but might be an economical solution. Can't say they are a bad shock, but they seem to not last a long time from what I've gathered. Bilsteins are the go-to for our rigs, and the price tag coincides with it. Great shocks, and hold their resale value if you decide you want something else for any reason. They make a 5100/5125 (which a lot of people run, including myself), and a 4600 version, which is more of a stock height application. Heard good reviews on those too.

I believe the check engine light is supposed to come on with the keys in the "acc" position, so that should be the easiest way to see of it's functional. I recently noticed mine was out so I picked up some bulbs from Napa that they say are for the dash lights, but haven't even tried installing them. They look big for what you'd think goes behind the dash, so we'll see if their system was right.

No clue on the radio back light, but if it's the stock radio you should do yourself a favor and upgrade it instead of replacing a burned out bulb. Bluetooth music and calling are very much worth the upgrade!

Good luck and congrats on the purchase.

4. Jul 10, 2014 at 2:06 AM
    kpthefatty

kpthefatty [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2000 4Runner SR5
    I don't currently have any plans to lift mine, but thank you for the input on the Ranchos. I will stay looking into the Bilstein 4600 series.

I might end up taking the radio out of my old car andputting it in the 4runner.

5. Apr 6, 2015 at 12:06 PM
    Maverick1611

Maverick1611 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Phil
    Holley, New York
    Vehicle:
    2000 4Runner 4x4
    PO141 is bank 1 sensor 2 correct? That would be the downstream sensor.

6. Nov 21, 2015 at 8:22 PM
    Krawler

Krawler New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    96 4Runner
    Honestly everyone I know uses has a just don't know how they will work but that is one that I know everyone loves.

7. Nov 22, 2015 at 6:38 AM
    Tedmaywin

Tedmaywin New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ted
    Vehicle:
    2006 Limited
    There are a couple of good videos on Youtube for replacing the dash lights. Google "how to replace toyota 4runner dash lights". They tell it all

Products Discussed in

To Top