1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New Member looking to buy 3rd Gen (2001) 4Runner

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by AntleredRuin, Aug 25, 2015.

1. Aug 25, 2015 at 12:09 PM
    AntleredRuin

AntleredRuin [OP] New Member

Member:
    I'm a new member and I'm looking to buy a 3rd Gen 4Runner. I looked at 2 different ones today, at 2 different lots, both 2001. Both 2wd. I did not test drive either, because I was on the way to a client and in a hurry. I have an '03 Rav4 that I've had since 72k and is now at 140k and has had NO problems at all (regular maintenance). This has lead me to want a Toyota as a second vehicle as well.

One was basic package and going for $2600 and has a bit over 180,000 miles on it. The guy there said that they had done a tune-up on it, changed filters, hoses, etc. They said it had no leaks. He said the PO said he changed the timing belt, but he wasn't sure if that was true. It looked pretty rough, though. He said it worked great mechanically, but I couldn't start it then without a DL scan and all that, and me in a hurry. The inside was pretty torn up and there were definite dings all over the exterior. The undercarriage was pretty dirty as well, so there may have been some rust, but I didn't see any, other than surface rust on the exhaust pipe. The tires were bald.

The other was a Sport and was going for $4800 but had only 135,000 miles. It looked pretty immaculate, both inside and out. A slight dent in the rear bumper, but it looked more like the PO backed into a pole more than anything else. Almost new tires, all the electronics worked great (including the back window). The gear shift handle was a bit loose, but the tranny shifted very smoothly (probably a quick fix?) The undercarriage was spotless, almost to the point of looking new. Very slight surface rust on the exhaust pipe. I was allowed to start the engine and shift gears without them scanning my DL and all that, because I was in a hurry, and it was extremely smooth starting and revving. The engine bay was spotless also, but that may have been the dealer who cleaned it. My thoughts with this one are that if the PO took this great of care of it inside, outside, and underneath, then he probably maintained it great as well. This dealer said they replaced hoses and fluids and all that as well, and that they do the timing belt if it looks to need it, and it did not look worn so they left it. At 135k it should have been replaced by now. (90k, correct?) I can post a link with pictures to this one if allowed.

I guess my question is which one is the better deal? The Sport is obviously a better package (being a Sport) and is in great cosmetic and (so far as I can tell) mechanical condition, but It costs nearly twice as much. It does have 50,000 fewer miles, though. Obviously, maintenance is the biggest key here for either, so assuming that they were both well maintained, could either get me to 300k+ pretty reliably?

Thanks in advance for any help you guys can offer!

Last edited: Aug 25, 2015

Products Discussed in

To Top