1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New member in Oregon, gonna need help lol!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by sweetbeats, Aug 12, 2015.

1. Aug 12, 2015 at 11:53 PM
    sweetbeats

sweetbeats [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1988 4Runner with 22RE and 5spd manual trans
    Lifted with SAS, re-geared, rear spool
    Greetings all.

Quick introduction: back before I could even drive I wanted a 1984 4x4 Toyota pickup. I blame the movie Back to the Future.

Zoom ahead a few decades and I'm the caretaker of my fiancée's 1988 4Runner. It's in rough shape. She always wanted one, and she finally got one during a previous relationship. Her ex made all sorts of promises about making it nice for her. Well, he didn't fix anything to make it reliable or safe or cosmetically decent...nothing she wanted. He did, on the other hand, do what he wanted to her truck and lifted it, put some big meats on it, outfitted it with a SAS, re-geared it, and got out the welder and made himself a DIY rear spool differential. He was converting it to a crawler, which is NOT what she wanted. Not that it won't go to good use...but he spent $4,000 of her money without asking on what he wanted, lying and telling her it was necessary. So now it looks pretty impressive, sits up high and hops around on asphalt around corners thanks to the spool.

The chassis has over 240,000 miles on it. We have no idea how many miles the 22RE engine has on it, as it is out of a '93. I suspect the 5spd manual tranny is all original as it howls like banshee when you let off the gas in 3rd and 5th. The rear axle has been tilted to adequately deal with the driveline angle. The front is a problem. The ex welded together a janky driveline I'm told could potentially bind. Interior is *rough*. We just had body work done to the rear fenders to take care of the rot. There is a decent dent in the driver's side front fender. Deal with that later. Otherwise it's a straight rig. There's still some Roy along the top of the tailgate at the window opening. We just had the entire brake system flushed of the black fluid that once, I suspect, resembled brake fluid. Also had a chemical flush done on the cooling system to remove a shocking amount of sludge. Getting a new water pump and radiator too. Need to do something about the muffler, which makes it sound like a dying Chevy Sprint. So there you have it.

I think I've had my moments of "why does she like that truck???", but she does. Somehow she sees past the jank and just sees her dream Runner, I suppose like she sees past my jank and loves me, so I told her one day "I don't know why you love that truck so much, but you do, and I love you, so let's make it what you want it to be. Let's make it right."

So that's me and her Runner, and I'm going to need help. :D

2. Aug 14, 2015 at 8:41 AM
    Bob

Bob Member Staff Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    SoCal
    Welcome to the site!

Products Discussed in

To Top