1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New Member from Chicago

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by T4RChiTown, Oct 29, 2019.

1. Oct 29, 2019 at 11:13 AM
    T4RChiTown

T4RChiTown [OP] New Member

Member:
    Greetings everyone!

Joined the forum today since I've lurked for a bit and figured it made sense to hop on and participate.

I purchased a 2019 4runner TRD off road premium in white back in March of this year.

The morning after bringing it home, I took a ride out to the WeatherTech factory outlet and picked up front and rear all weather mats. The truck came with nice mats, but I had weathertechs in my other vehicle and was nothing but happy with them.

The next thing I did was add on some heavier duty steps than what you can get from the dealership. While they're not actually rock sliders, they kind of look like them. I mainly bought them because it made it easier to climb up into the truck, especially for my shorter passengers. I'll eventually get some actual rock sliders down the road, but these will do for now. They're the Tyger Star Armor side step nerf bars.

I also went and had a Viper alarm and remote start added since I am in Chicago. While it was being installed, I also had the front windows tinted to match the back windows.

A week or two later I ordered the OEM Toyota console safe for whenever I need to lock up valuables. Definitely a big fan of this safe and specifically chose it over others that are out there. The design prevents attacking the latch, but for the most part, it'll just keep someone honest more so than the others ones out there, and at least slow down a thief.

The next mod was adding a glove box organizer along with switching most of the inside lighting to LED's. Those made a huge difference!

I ordered the black badge overlay kit and changed the chrome badges to black. I still don't get why Toyota would install the silver/chrome ones on a white truck, but since they don't I decided to spend the cash and do it myself.

One of the things that I didn't like from the day I brought the truck home is the white hood scoop. I felt it needed some contrast and after seeing some pics of other white runners with a black hood scoop, I like it so much that I wound up buying a black hood scoop and installed it. It definitely improved the look.

The next thing I really wanted to do was improve the external lighting. The only options were to use LED's for the headlights, and seeing what LED's look like in halogen projectors, I wasn't a huge fan. My buddy had HID's installed, and I definitely liked how they improved the color and output. A couple months back I began trying to decide which direction I wanted to go in and ran across the Morimoto XD Retrofit Housings. A local 4X4 shop had them available for pre order so after seeing what they looked like, I jumped on them. After paying for them, I began reading threads about being disappointed in the output, specifically on turns onto dark streets. This concerned me at first, but I figured if I didn't like them, I could always return them and go to HID's. I had them installed and honestly don't understand what people's issues were with them. On turns, the light output is no different from OEM as far as spread to the sides. They're significantly brighter, and the color is perfect. After driving two hours on pitch black roads, taking turns onto dark roads, I couldn't see the issue, so I'm keeping them. Perhaps Morimoto changed the way the projectors are aimed since the first batches went out? I don't know, but what I do know is that I wasn't seeing what others were.

When I had the new headlights installed, I also had my fog lights swapped out for amber Baja Designs. WOW is all I have to say about them. They are amazing! The light output is ridiculous.

I think the next things on my list in order are replacing the grill with the TRD pro one since the black looks way nicer than the white. Then I'll do the blacked out rear taillights and likely just replace the bulbs with higher output LED's. I considered doing the tail as a turn signal mod, but I don't really like the way it looks.

Once the above are done, I'll focus on throwing in some new suspension to raise the truck a bit, get rid of that ridiculous dip when you come to a complete stop, and give me the ability to add slightly larger A/T tires and black rims. It'll also prepare me for when I start adding on bumpers and not have to deal with upgrading suspension again down the road. I don't know which suspension I'll go with, but the goal is to future proof the truck so that I don't have to buy new suspension as I add on heavier mods. I haven't decided on a specific set of tires and wheels yet, but I'll likely go with something in the 285 size, keeping the 17" size for the rims.

From there, who knows. Things I'd like are a lopro front winch bumper, a Gobi rack, and possibly a steel rear bumper with tire mount. I'll likely throw a CAI of some sort into the mix at some point. I just know the next largest outlay of cash will be the suspension, wheels, and tires. Those will improve the look of the truck the most out of everything I've done so far, but it's also the most expensive.

I'll try to get pics up at some point as well. I haven't really taken any yet so that will be something that I'll need to do soon.

If anyone has any advice, or recommendations on anything, I'd love to hear your thoughts on my upgrades/mods plans.

One thing I left out is what my plans are as far as off roading vs pavement princess. Back in 2002-2004 I had a wrangler and did some off roading, so I do plan on doing some since I have a vehicle that is capable of going off road again, but 95% of the time it'll be a pavement princess. I don't drive a whole lot working from home, but do spend a bit of time on the weekends driving around. If anyone has recommendations on where to go do some off roading since I'm in Chicago and there aren't a whole lot of options, I'd appreciate it!

Thanks and I look forward to learning from y'all!

Bob and Thatbassguy like this.
  2. Oct 29, 2019 at 11:21 AM
    4x Old Guy

4x Old Guy New Member

Member:
    Riverside, CA
    Vehicle:
    2019 Silver TRD Off-road Premium
    Big-O Bigfoot A/T tires
    Welcome.

T4RChiTown[OP] likes this.
  3. Oct 29, 2019 at 11:34 AM
    Firefly21

Firefly21 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Duane Frazier
    Vehicle:
    18 off road premium trd
    Hid lows 3500 drl / high Led interior Led reverse Led oem fogs Sequential blinker Trd intake Unifilter pump mod Apex recover points BF Goodrich KO2 (matching trd spare) Kicker front tweeters Tvd overlays S2 yellow wide fogs Apex black sequential rear tails Cartrim home blue convex mirriors
    Pictures please

4. Oct 29, 2019 at 11:36 AM
    T4RChiTown

Member:
    Ha, I will. I'll try to get some this weekend after I install the TRD pro grill. It arrives Friday and I'll have time to install it on Saturday. Just hoping it'll be a bit warmer than the low 40's the forecast is predicting because I want to give it a wash and wax before winter sets in.

ETA: wanted to redact my plate number, but here is one pic I took on Saturday after having the headlights and fog lights installed.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2019
  5. Oct 29, 2019 at 12:22 PM
    Chris In Milwaukee

Chris In Milwaukee New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Vehicle:
    2019 4Runner TRD Off Road Premium, Magnetic Grey Metallic
    Howdy from up the road apiece in MKE!

Thatbassguy and T4RChiTown[OP] like this.
  6. Oct 29, 2019 at 1:37 PM
    ForRun

ForRun 4Runner

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 orp
    I was one who couldn't handle the cut off light on the headlights. Also the xenon Depot test mule who got them for free couldn't handle it and took them out. Glad they fixed it. They said they would not that 10% returns were acceptable.
    Anyway welcome to the forum, can you post pics of the hood scoop please

7. Oct 29, 2019 at 5:00 PM
    brownbear

brownbear Relax

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    OB Fl
    Vehicle:
    2018 4Runner TRD OFF ROAD
    NFab side steps TRD matte blk wheels K&N airfilter, go rhino rear hitch step,
    Welcome from FL.

8. Oct 29, 2019 at 5:12 PM
    SlvrSlug

SlvrSlug Slightly bent.

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Ramona Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2017 4-Runner SR-5 P. Kings, Built Right uca’s, Durabumps, RSG sliders
    Welcome.

9. Oct 29, 2019 at 6:51 PM
    Thatbassguy

Thatbassguy New member? Really??

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    RSG sliders, Yakima offgrid basket, Pro-Comp wheels, SOS Streamline bumper and skids, Warn VR EVO10S winch + Ultimate Sidewinder, Bilstein 6112 + 5100 + rear lift coils, Rigid Dually SS ditch lights w/Caliraised brackets and OEM style dash switch
    Welcome from Wisconsin!

There are a few off-road parks in northern Illinois. One is having an event on Sunday. A handful of guys from Tacomaworld are talking about going.

I have a thread on TW about get togethers and whatnot. A few guys from the Midwest are meeting in Lansing, Iowa on the 9th to run part of the Trans Wisconsin Adventure Trail and get a beer at Potosi brewery.

Here's a link to the thread if you're interested:

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/wisconsin-midwest-events-outings-and-bs.621460/page-41

You have to skip to the last few pages and sort through the BS, but there's usually discussion of upcoming events in there. I've been meaning to start a discussion on this forum as well.

Good looking truck!

10. Oct 29, 2019 at 8:51 PM
    T4RChiTown

Member:
    I don't know for sure that they fixed them, but was just basing it on my own observations and comparing them to the various reviews I've read elsewhere. I just didn't experience the light cutoff during turns the same as most have in those posts.

I'll get a hood scoop pic up this Saturday. Hopefully I'll be able to do a wash and wax and install the pro grill at the same time.

For a white runner, the black scoop looks way better than a solid white hood.

11. Oct 29, 2019 at 8:55 PM
    T4RChiTown

Member:
    Thanks, and this is awesome! I may not be able to make it to the Sunday event because of other plans, but I would like to start getting out especially with other folks.

One of my goals is to eventually get a rooftop tent so that I can do some overnight trips.

Thanks again, I'll check out the thread and keep an eye out for other events to participate in.

Thatbassguy[QUOTED] likes this.
  12. Oct 29, 2019 at 9:03 PM
    Thatbassguy

Thatbassguy New member? Really??

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    RSG sliders, Yakima offgrid basket, Pro-Comp wheels, SOS Streamline bumper and skids, Warn VR EVO10S winch + Ultimate Sidewinder, Bilstein 6112 + 5100 + rear lift coils, Rigid Dually SS ditch lights w/Caliraised brackets and OEM style dash switch

Awesome! It would be cool to get some other 4runners at these things.:D

Here's a picture from the fall camping trip we did, just for grins. This was at the end of a section of the pipeline trail where there are some massive puddles.

20190914_115015.jpg

13. Nov 22, 2019 at 8:19 PM
    SLoTH_XVX

SLoTH_XVX New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Vehicle:
    2015 4Runner SR5 Premium White
    6" Fabtec Suspension Lift 35x12.5 Fuel Gripper M/T Tires 18" Fuel - Vapor Wheels
    Just stumbled on this thread, WELCOME T4RChiTown!!

I am just between you and 'ThatBasAssGuy' in Lakemoor, near Volo!

You guys should stop up here in McHenry county and check out River Road Rally Park! Would love to meet up with you guys there...need more 4Runner's there!!
    The park isn't huge like the Pipline Trail but it is still a load of fun!!

Products Discussed in

To Top