1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New member and new question

Discussion in '4th Gen 4Runners (2003-2009)' started by EMS Burnout, Nov 27, 2014.

1. Nov 27, 2014 at 11:42 AM
    EMS Burnout

EMS Burnout [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2004 V8 4Runner
    Bone Stock
    Hello all,
    I'm new to the forum and would like to say hi to all. I also have ulterior motives.
    I have a 2004 V8 and am having 2 problem that might be connected. When I push the dash differential lock it will lock but the light always blinks and once locked it will pull to the right. When not locked it drives straight. My second problem is rubbing sound coming from the front. I hear it most over 15 mph. I replaced the hubs and still have the sound. I happens if it is locked or not. I have exhuasted all my local resources of information. Has anyone had this problem or know the possible cause.
    Thank you

2. Nov 27, 2014 at 11:45 AM
    wnelax04sr5

wnelax04sr5 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ethan
    CT
    Vehicle:
    2004 SR5 4X4 Galactic Gray
    @brutalguyracing and @nj636 , could this be a bearing/differential issue? is the rubbing sound appear to be an issue in the driveline, or an actual rubbing occuring like tire on body?

3. Nov 27, 2014 at 12:19 PM
    EMS Burnout

EMS Burnout [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2004 V8 4Runner
    Bone Stock
    I replaced the bearing in the front on both sides. I have inspected the tires and wheel wells for contact and there is none. The sound is a whirrring that did sound like a possible tire rub but the tires and wells are fine. Plus it happens when driving straight (and turning). I inspected for any oil or lubricant leak and everything is dry. I'm wondering if there is a problem with the front differential because of the pulling when 4x4 is lock/engaged.

4. Dec 1, 2014 at 4:19 AM
    nj636

nj636 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Vehicle:
    2006 Radiant Red Tacoma Double Cab Short Bed
    OME lift / 285's / Armor
    when you say differential lock, do you mean engaging 4 wheel drive?

Who replaced the front wheel bearings? You can diagnose a bad wheel bearing by spinning the tire with the front end off the ground. If the bearing is worn you will hear a grinding noise. You can also grab the tire at 12 & 6 and push/pull. Any movement would indicate a worn bearing.

Bob likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top