1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New 2021 order. How long should I expect it to make it to port?

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by Trevornmin, Apr 6, 2021.

1. Jul 24, 2021 at 11:55 AM
    KB1234

KB1234 New Member

Member:
    I ordered a Limited on 6/30, never received a build date or anything so I'm just trying to be patient about but I'm also super excited so being patient is difficult.

2. Jul 24, 2021 at 12:15 PM
    mac1usa

mac1usa New Member

Member:
    I would think your dealer should be able to confirm they got an allocation for your order by now. I would call them an ask specifically if you order has been accepted into their allocation

3. Jul 24, 2021 at 1:32 PM
    KB1234

KB1234 New Member

Member:
    maybe a stupid question but could asking about it possibly lead to them gouge me with a higher price if they see im eager?

4. Jul 24, 2021 at 2:04 PM
    TRDJay

TRDJay New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    I’m no expert... This was actually my first time ordering a vehicle, but I think if u placed a build order u probably should’ve already agreed on a price. Msrp is probably the best you’ll do these days. I signed papers at that price the day I placed my order. After that I could act eager or not, the deal has already been agreed upon. At least that’s how my situation has gone so far anyway. I know what u mean tho. With prices are what they are these days, I don’t blame you for wondering. Did u order a 21 or a 22? 22’s are just around the corner so even with supply and demand making the market crazy, it’s gonna get harder for them to jack the prices up on 21’s for much longer.

5. Jul 24, 2021 at 2:10 PM
    KB1234

KB1234 New Member

Member:
    I ordered a 21' The deposit was placed over the phone so I never signed anything. I created a build out on the Toyota website and sent them that. I didn't want any extras on it and said I didnt want the all weather floor mats just that I wanted the carpet and was told that they couldn't guarantee that it wouldn't have the all weather floor mats and some things were added on that they couldn't control. The floor mats no big deal but I still found that kind of odd

6. Jul 24, 2021 at 2:30 PM
    TRDJay

TRDJay New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Don’t take my word on this but it sounds to me like they’re trying to locate a vehicle for you that matches your description. One that they can get their hands on or one that’s already in the pipeline to them. If it was an actual build order, u should be able to get exactly what you want. The cutoff for 2021’s has to be close if not past tho. I’d guess anyway. Maybe I’m wrong but for them to say it might have some options you don’t want doesn’t sound like an actual build order to me. That doesn’t mean they won’t find u a truck matching the majority of what u want. Possibly even faster than if u put an actual build order in. I just don’t know if they really used one of their allocations to put the order in the way u want it. They’re probably at least trying to locate what u want first if they can. Again, I’m NO expert so this is just what I think. Maybe someone else can chime in.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2021
  7. Jul 24, 2021 at 2:51 PM
    mac1usa

mac1usa New Member

Member:
    Yeah unless you have something in writing you are at risk.

Did they not give you a quote in writing?

8. Jul 24, 2021 at 5:38 PM
    lbostons

lbostons New Member

Member:
    I hear what you say. I have a deal in place and my last name is attached to it but I have nothing official in writing. If I go in to purchase and the dealership plays games I’m walking away and I’ll go to a different dealership. They can have a customer for life or they can have no customer.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2021
    TRDJay likes this.
  9. Jul 24, 2021 at 6:58 PM
    mac1usa

mac1usa New Member

Member:
    Yeah I would definitely ask for a quote with the model and options and preferably a vin.

Even I had that all and they took away supplier discount. But it took several months for my order. My agreed upon price stayed there same but the supplier discount went bye bye. It was June and I had to suck it up because nobody had any let alone the model and color and options I wanted.

Let’s face it the ball is in there court if you want a 4R in general.

10. Jul 25, 2021 at 8:11 AM
    KB1234

KB1234 New Member

Member:
    I gave the specifications of the build that I wanted and at the bottom of that there was a price. Whether they honor that price who knows. When talking about the 4runner with the dealer they did mention that they would also try to find a vehicle already built and asked what were things on the vehicle that were deal breakers for making a trade. I think worst case scenario if they try to screw us then I'll just walk away. Im kind of annoyed by dealers already I had one dealership call me saying that they had the exact everything I was looking for and it would be ready for a test drive when I showed up for an appointment and I got there and they had no 4runners at all and hadn't had any days.

11. Jul 25, 2021 at 8:40 AM
    TRDJay

TRDJay New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Wow that sucks but I can’t say I’m surprised. Good dealerships are hard to find. Even when buying a vehicle goes smoothly, it sucks! It’s never a great time imo. Things have changed over the years too. With the internet & dealerships competing with each other online. They all list close to their lowest price & they’ll actually let u walk away if u don’t wanna pay it. Back in the day if u paid asking price for a vehicle u were crazy or dumb. U could make an offer & if they didn’t accept it you could go to walk out & they’d chase u out the door and say come back, let me see what I can do. I’d never in my life think I’d have paid msrp for a new vehicle, & I certainly would never have thought I’d feel like I did alright getting it for that. These days paying ‘only’ msrp’ seems like a win lol. I can’t believe how the market has changed. I’m sure things will level out & comeback to normal soon enough but things r pretty crazy these days. I think they will/should honor that price that was on ur build. On the bright side, if they locate and trade another dealership for one you’ll take, you’ll get it sooner than later. Versus waiting a few months for a build. So there’s potentially a bright side to ur situation, & like u said u can always walk away if need be. I hope ur situation works out.

ecoterragaia and KB1234[QUOTED] like this.
  12. Jul 25, 2021 at 10:33 AM
    VentureTRD

VentureTRD New Member

Member:
    Blowing Rock, North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD Venture Nautical Blue Metallic
    Goodyear DuraTrac Tires P265/70R17 AEM Air Filter TRD Radiator Cap TRD Pro Leather Shift Knob TRD Pro Rubber Floor Mats Agency 6 Recovery Shackle Lamin-x Amber Fog Light Covers Red LED Interior Lights LasFit LED Turn Signals
    A Few Buying Suggestions:

If you sign any paperwork, make sure to get a VIN and a delivery date, else you might end up with a 2nd or 3rd color option or whatever 4Runner Model the dealer ends up with on their lot. These things are very hard to find, so expect to pay MSRP, but don't pay over MSRP - That's price gouging!

I had one dealer try and play that game, because their allocations were totally sold out for the next 3 months. When I got to the dealership, all they had was a used 2018 to test drive and wanted me to sign up on their allocation list - with no specific vehicle in mind or delivery date.

There is a lot of bait and switch going on, because dealer's lots are basically empty due to the chip shortage and they just want you to sign up for something they don't have.

So I started calling around and got exactly what I wanted, with a VIN and delivery date just 2 weeks out. Small Town Dealerships sometimes have stuff sitting on the lot.

I would also suggest looking at cars.com, say within 500 miles, and start calling around to those Toyota dealerships. Sure, some of the cars.com were already sold (site is a bit out of date), but I did get a few dealerships with unsold 4Runners inbound to port, so you might get lucky.

Also, if your 4Runner hasn't hit port yet, you can remove any of the Port $$$ installed options they often add to the sticker price, that you don't want and some are impossible to remove once the car hits the dealership.

Common Over Priced Port Options Include:
    $200 for LED interior Lights ($10 item)
    $75 USB Cables (often included by Southeast Toyota - $10 item)
    $600 for Plastic Hood Protection
    $200 for Plastic Door Protection ($10 item)
    $600 for Side Steps
    The list goes on...

I was told that dealers make 50% markup on these Port Installed Options, which is why they are often added on.

I was able to remove over $1700 of Unwanted Port Options, before the 4Runner hit the port. I only wanted the Sun Roof option, which is not a Port Option. The dealer just updated the window sticker to reflect the removal of these Port Options.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2021
    TRDJay and KB1234 like this.
  13. Jul 25, 2021 at 11:34 AM
    KB1234

KB1234 New Member

Member:

Thank you, I appreciate the help. I have looked at Edmunds.com I have seen the same specs, I know the dealership said that they could make a trade if they had an available 4runner to be able to trade so idk if that was the issue. I guess I will contact them tomorrow and see what is going on and see if they have any kind of update

14. Jul 26, 2021 at 6:25 AM
    PreCiiSiioN

PreCiiSiioN NeW MeMbEr

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Ohio
    I would highly suggest you call whatever dealership you're going through to see if they'll be selling you the one you're waiting on at the price you want. If you haven't signed any kind of paperwork, you need to go to the dealership and talk pricing with them. From what you've said so far, this dealership sounds kind of shady. I would not be surprised if there was some kind of "Market Adjustment" on whatever 4runner they find for you.

15. Jul 29, 2021 at 3:04 PM
    CR_Sig1970

CR_Sig1970 New Member

Member:
    When I ordered, I didn't receive any paperwork. After I test drove one on their lot, we negotiated the price, and I did everything through e-mail and texting so I had a "paper" trail. They did show me the order pages via screen shots and said now is the time to add anything specific. I added the few things I wanted, including the factory dash cam and front dash USB upgrade. There were some other things I got, and some I wanted and didn't get, I guess they were not available in my region. They asked for a deposit, and I gave them a CC over the phone and then they said I was good to go. This was all done over the phone since I was out of town. People did warn me about possible gouging since demand got super hot for them in our area. Luckily, they were true to their word and kept the pricing the same as when they quoted. Nothing was on paper though, only through my trail of emails and texts. When it arrived, the market was clearly hotter than when I ordered, it was months later. But, they stayed true. They even gave me more for my Subaru than originally estimated. The market on Subaru's jumped too, so that worked out, but they never tried to bump the price on the 4Runner due to market conditions. I did notice that my Subaru was GONE within a very short period though, I think 2-3 weeks, and that includes the prep time they needed, and they were asking quite a bit. So, I am thinking that they were moving trade ins as soon as they could get them and weren't as concerned about what they got for a new 4Runner.

16. Aug 3, 2021 at 8:52 AM
    KB1234

KB1234 New Member

Member:
    I called my dealer and he had been out of town for awhile but I was told that the 4runner was built and shipping at the beginning of this month so it should be at the lot by the end of the month or early September. So now I'm super excited.

CR_Sig1970, Keirik and PreCiiSiioN like this.
  17. Aug 3, 2021 at 11:33 AM
    T4Rrunning

T4Rrunning New Member

Member:
    California

Ahh crap not again! A lot of people have been waiting for their vehicle including me.

Train Derail.jpg

Train 2.jpg

18. Aug 3, 2021 at 11:55 AM
    Yota_Kal

Yota_Kal New Member

Member:
    Shipment of Fords

19. Aug 3, 2021 at 11:59 AM
    PreCiiSiioN

PreCiiSiioN NeW MeMbEr

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Ohio
    Is that for sure? I see fords in the pictures, just hoping there weren't any Toyotas thrown in there lol

A&P likes this.
  20. Aug 3, 2021 at 12:49 PM
    Yota_Kal

Yota_Kal New Member

Member:
    A friend of mine that works for NS texted me about it this morning. The cars were loaded at the Kansas City Ford plant and contained transit vans and F-150s TIFWIW.

A&P and PreCiiSiioN like this.
  21. Aug 3, 2021 at 12:52 PM
    Yota_Kal

Yota_Kal New Member

Member:
    Believe me, that was my first thought as well lol. We ordered a 2021 ORP in early June and is scheduled to be in Ky. between the 12th and the 17th. Not what you want to see happening this close to the finish line.

A&P likes this.
  22. Aug 3, 2021 at 12:57 PM
    PreCiiSiioN

PreCiiSiioN NeW MeMbEr

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Ohio
    Ah, that's great to hear (for us Toyota lovers). I'm sure the ford guys aren't too happy right now. Thanks for the info!

A&P likes this.
  23. Aug 4, 2021 at 8:47 AM
    wakebrdr142

wakebrdr142 New Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    21PRO
    I have a Lunar Pro hopefully on way with a dealer estimated arrival around 18 Aug. Production date based on the temp VIN was the 27th week which was 5-11 July. Is the dealers estimate accurate or should I expect something different based on what you all are seeing?

24. Aug 4, 2021 at 8:50 AM
    T4Rrunning

T4Rrunning New Member

Member:
    California
    Did they ever give you the real VIN? Not sure what you mean by 5-11 July....

25. Aug 4, 2021 at 9:00 AM
    wakebrdr142

wakebrdr142 New Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    21PRO

I requested the salesman look it up but haven't heard back yet. From what I understand the numbers before the last letters on the temp VIN is the production week. Mine was JTELUxJRxMx27FFxx. I added x's in the place of some numbers. If you look up the 27th week of 2021 it is 5-11 July which is the production week and I assume that is the time frame it was built.

26. Aug 4, 2021 at 9:02 AM
    wakebrdr142

wakebrdr142 New Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    21PRO
    Completely my luck :bananadead:

A&P[QUOTED] likes this.
  27. Aug 4, 2021 at 9:21 AM
    vonfatman

vonfatman New Member

Member:
    i think we were fortunate when we ordered ours. the order was placed on may 20th, the vehicles were available for pickup on july 5th. my wife and i are very happy with the units and the time it took to get them.

28. Aug 4, 2021 at 7:07 PM
    wakebrdr142

wakebrdr142 New Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    21PRO
    A little update from the dealer. They say it's been verified the rig will make it to port on 08/20.

interceptor likes this.
  29. Aug 4, 2021 at 10:06 PM
    Keirik

Keirik New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Keith
    Vehicle:
    21 Pro Lunar Rock
    God please let mine be on that delivery too lol

wakebrdr142 likes this.
  30. Aug 5, 2021 at 6:29 AM
    Bubbles

Bubbles New Member

Member:
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    21 TRD Pro Lunar Rock
    I have a real vin for my Lunar Pro, should arrive at port 8/11 from what I was told yesterday.

vonfatman and wakebrdr142 like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top