1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Need tips for sand/beach driving with stock Limited

Discussion in 'General 4Runner Talk' started by cchopan, Feb 28, 2021.

1. Feb 28, 2021 at 2:20 PM
    cchopan

cchopan [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Collin
    New England
    Vehicle:
    2017 Limited
    So far the main thing I am curious about is how low to deflate my tires to in order to drive on sand trails and the beach. I've seen mention of anything from 15-28psi.

Next, should I engage the 4WD or leave it in the full time 4WD? I've purposefully gone out to the sand and tested the different settings so I know how they work and seems:

1. I can engage from H4F to H4L either in neutral while not moving or while moving at slow speeds, and also disengage without issue in the same situations.
    2. Trying to engage L4L the truck was beeping at me? So I went back to H4L. What's up with that?

I want to be prepared and i'm planning on purchasing a pair of traction boards, the Staun deflators to make sure all wheels are equal, and this pump:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005ASY23I/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Should I be considering anything else?

Thanks!

2. Mar 1, 2021 at 8:13 AM
    Thatbassguy

Thatbassguy New member? Really??

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    RSG sliders, Yakima offgrid basket, Pro-Comp wheels, SOS Streamline bumper and skids, Warn VR EVO10S winch + Ultimate Sidewinder, Bilstein 6112 + 5100 + rear lift coils, Rigid Dually SS ditch lights w/Caliraised brackets and OEM style dash switch
    You could start at 20-25 and lower it if you get stuck. I wouldn't go below 15.

The 88P is a popular inflator. It should be fine for occasional use. I have a 300P and am pretty happy with it for inflating 33's.

Like @Overlandcharlie said, 4HI is best. You can experiment with traction control on or off and figure out what works best for you.

BionicRandy and cchopan[OP] like this.
  3. Mar 1, 2021 at 8:13 AM
    kmeeg

kmeeg LionRunner

Member:
    1. You can switch from H4F to H4L while you drive at any speed.

2. To switch from H4L to L4L you need to do a complete stop -> shift to neutral -> push the tab and turn to L4L -> shift to drive or reverse. Same procedure back when you want to switch from L4L to H4L. The beep is telling you that it cannot switch to the low range without shifting to N.

4. Mar 1, 2021 at 9:17 AM
    PrettyGoodSam

PrettyGoodSam New Member

Member:
    Philadelphia
    Vehicle:
    2012 4Runner Trail
    i have that viair pump and it does a great job. i also have an arb deflator which works great. on NJ beaches i air down to 18 psi. def bring a shovel, traction boards and a snatch strap. no sudden stopping or starting. i use 4hi and it works just fine. if there are ruts from previous drivers do your best to stay in them.

you going surf fishing?

5. Mar 1, 2021 at 9:29 AM
    cchopan

cchopan [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Collin
    New England
    Vehicle:
    2017 Limited
    Thanks! Actually just going to enjoy beach days. I guess the regular beaches get quite crowded around me but if you have a sand pass you can access 3 miles of sand trails as well as a beach so I'm hoping to make the beach trips more fun as well as an excuse to spend money on the 4Runner... lol

6. Mar 1, 2021 at 12:06 PM
    cchopan

cchopan [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Collin
    New England
    Vehicle:
    2017 Limited
    Yep! Already have them ordered. I looked into some of the cheaper options but almost every review of the Staun said they tried something cheaper and it wasn't the same.

Thatbassguy likes this.
  7. Mar 1, 2021 at 12:12 PM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    RSG sliders, Yakima offgrid basket, Pro-Comp wheels, SOS Streamline bumper and skids, Warn VR EVO10S winch + Ultimate Sidewinder, Bilstein 6112 + 5100 + rear lift coils, Rigid Dually SS ditch lights w/Caliraised brackets and OEM style dash switch
    I use an ARB deflator, which is nice if you don't always run the same pressure. But, the Staun looks super convenient. And @Overlandcharlie had a great idea setting 2 for one pressure and 2 for another.

Moon Landing likes this.
  8. Mar 1, 2021 at 12:34 PM
    kmeeg

kmeeg LionRunner

Member:
    For deflating the tires I still use this cheapo walmart tire gauge and I can deflate pretty easy. So not very interested in spending in the deflate department.
    [​IMG]

Inflating is my problem with this Craftman 12v air compressor. I'll watch some cartoon with my kid inside the car until the tires are inflated back. LoL.
    Yes this is serving me for 4-5 years in snow and mud but damn slow. I will look for a good hard mount setup that doesn't cost as dual ARB compressor. Automatic shut of at desired psi is a must. I don't want to keep watching the gauge outside.
    [​IMG]

Thatbassguy likes this.
  9. Mar 1, 2021 at 12:54 PM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    Look at Viair for reasonably priced alternatives to ARB. They have portable and onboard solutions, with and without holding tanks.

The ARB (or maybe it's Smittybuilt?) deflator is only $30 and removes the core for quick deflating.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2021
    kmeeg[QUOTED] likes this.
  10. Mar 2, 2021 at 7:27 AM
    PrettyGoodSam

PrettyGoodSam New Member

Member:
    Philadelphia
    Vehicle:
    2012 4Runner Trail
    what is the advantage of having two wheels at a different psi? wonder if its something i should be doing in the future.

11. Mar 2, 2021 at 8:16 AM
    PrettyGoodSam

PrettyGoodSam New Member

Member:
    Philadelphia
    Vehicle:
    2012 4Runner Trail
    oh i gotcha now! i read it wrong haha. thanks.

12. Mar 5, 2021 at 6:02 AM
    VaRunner

VaRunner New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2008 4 Dog
    None yet.
    Interesting thread, things that get taken for granted until it’s a little too late!

13. Mar 5, 2021 at 7:54 AM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    True! I almost buried my Tacoma in the sand a few years ago, but I backed out and took a different path. Then I went back to the same beach another time at 18 PSI and had no issues. I wasn't aware that airing down would help so much. It makes so much sense, but I never thought of it.

BionicRandy likes this.
  14. Mar 5, 2021 at 8:03 AM
    VaRunner

VaRunner New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2008 4 Dog
    None yet.
    I watched a guy bury a 4Runner in OBX. Deep water and a “puddle” look a lot alike. Ha!

BionicRandy and Thatbassguy like this.
  15. Mar 5, 2021 at 8:15 AM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    ^^^^THIS is why I keep waders in the 4runner for trail runs. Aside from depth, bottom composition is good to know before you go in. :D

SlvrSlug likes this.
  16. Mar 5, 2021 at 11:23 AM
    PhantomTweak

PhantomTweak New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    OREGON
    Vehicle:
    1999 4Runner, bone stock
    None. Bone Stock. EXCEPT: Brushguard, tow hitch, both welded to the frame. It's good to have friends and a fully equipped garage!
    I know this isn't exactly about a Toyota, but...

I bought myself a 1978 Chevy Luv. It's an Isuzu Trooper II with a chevy pickup body. Chevy's answer to the Toyota small truck. Yes, it was my first 4WD. I lived in Yuma, Az at the time. I went around to the Mexican side, to the north of Yuma, of the river. Bounced around there for a while, then saw a nice way down onto a sand bar in the Colorado river. Or what was left of it, anyway. The river. The sand bar was a nice big one.
    I stopped, and my wife and I swam around where we could for a bit, then, when we went to leave, we jumped in, and I gunned it. Buried it up to the hubs, first day I owned it. Naturally, no recovery equipment of any kind. I had to walk across the river to get home. It almost came up to midthigh on me at the deepest. Got home, a couple miles as the crow flies, called a tow truck, who told me he knew just where the sand bar was. People get stuck on it all the time. He pulled my tail out. Eighty bucks, but what could I do? Pretty steep for a young Marine in 1981, let me tell you!

My wife was highly PO'ed with me, but what the heck. She's now my ex-wife anywho.
    Just my story of beach driving. In Yuma, there are miles and miles, and miles, and miles, of beach in every direction. No ocean of any kind, but beach out the yin-yang.

Have fun, all!
    Pat☺

Trail Runnah and PrettyGoodSam like this.
  17. Jun 6, 2022 at 6:59 PM
    Whiptastichandling

Whiptastichandling NCrunner

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    15 Trail Premium
    3in Ironman 4x4 nitro stage 2 suspension lift 285s

How did it go? What did you do after? Want to try myself but have heard it’s terrible for the vehicle. Did toi have any issues after?

18. Jun 6, 2022 at 7:02 PM
    cchopan

cchopan [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Collin
    New England
    Vehicle:
    2017 Limited

I’ve gone out quite a few times now and no issues. I haven’t had to air down yet and everything has been fine.

I get a car wash after each trip and that’s about it.

19. Jun 6, 2022 at 9:39 PM
    Whiptastichandling

Whiptastichandling NCrunner

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    15 Trail Premium
    3in Ironman 4x4 nitro stage 2 suspension lift 285s

You didn’t let any air out the tires either?

20. Jun 7, 2022 at 3:29 AM
    cchopan

cchopan [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Collin
    New England
    Vehicle:
    2017 Limited
    No. I have everything I need to air down and back up but so far in 10+ trips I have not needed it.

With that being said I am mostly driving on a packed trail and the beach itself i am driving in someone else’s track.

21. Jun 7, 2022 at 1:09 PM
    alittleoff

alittleoff New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Vehicle:
    '16 TP
    I’d be curious to know if you have tested the auto deflator’s in your driveway?
    And if so, what were the numbers.

22. Jun 7, 2022 at 1:15 PM
    cchopan

cchopan [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Collin
    New England
    Vehicle:
    2017 Limited
    No, I have not tested that yet.

Products Discussed in