1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Need some general info ALOT !

Discussion in 'General 4Runner Talk' started by Danno42, Jan 8, 2016.

1. Jan 8, 2016 at 3:43 PM
    Danno42

Danno42 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Danno
    Hello Members, I'm Danno. I live in the wet state of New Jersey.
    I need some info and advice. Currently I have an '01 Cherokee. I've learned that unless you have a mental condition that compels you to love a jeep, they are a lot like boats. A place to throw your money. So, I'm shopping for a Toyota. My wife drives a well used Avalon.

What are the main differences between the 4Runners, sequoias, and the other 4Runner look- alikes?

I, like many others don't have big dollars to spend so, older is better but I don't want another Cherokee situation. Any suggestions on model, year, engine ?

What do I look for as far as rust issues?

Thanks guys and I hope to be a TOY owner soon.

2. Jan 9, 2016 at 7:05 AM
    wnelax04sr5

wnelax04sr5 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ethan
    CT
    Vehicle:
    2004 SR5 4X4 Galactic Gray
    id say your probably looking at a third gen, 1995-02. the biggest differences between 4runners and sequoias are the size, the sequoias are much larger and more expensive, but can be had for good deals. the third gens had a couple engine options, most often found being in the 3.4 v6 variety, which can be factory supercharged! the highlander is the 4runners unibody younger brother, and is a comfortable family carrier if youre not into minivans or off-roading or towing. the third gens are readily available and you can pick up a good condition vehicle with not a ton of miles for a good deal. rust is subjective to area and owner, and neglect is obvious because the frames on 4runners can get pretty scaly with a lack of attention and the right combination of salt and sand on the roads.

good luck in your search and let us know how it goes!

Bob likes this.
  3. Jan 9, 2016 at 8:15 AM
    ThatFenwickGuyFromTW

ThatFenwickGuyFromTW Hillbilly

Member:
    First Name:
    Fenwick
    Chesapeake, VA
    Vehicle:
    2 2nd Gen T4R's, 96 Tacoma 5 Lug
    Work in progress!
    The third Gen 4runner sounds ideal for you based off this information. I wouldn't go quite as far back as my 4runners, (second gens) as they are starting to show their age, not to mention the head gasket issue on the 3.0s, but there are still plenty of third gens around. Should be able to pick up a decent one for cheap.
    The Sequoia is nice, a bit more plush than the 4runner, but they are a considerable amount bigger. They also cost a good bit more. As wnelax04sr5 said, the Highlander is pretty much a family vehicle- I put it in between a 4runner and a minivan. I feel the same about the RAV4, which is a crossover that you can get with 4wd.
    Anyways, good luck finding a vehicle!

4. Jan 9, 2016 at 7:11 PM
    T-Rex266

T-Rex266 Moderator Staff Member

Member:
    Welcome! I just got rid of the wife's jeep for a Highlander. 4R didn't have enough interior room for her liking (kids+friends)

5. Feb 7, 2016 at 8:49 PM
    Ol'Blue

Ol'Blue New Member

Member:
    "Not all who wander are lost"
    Vehicle:
    99 T4R LTD- 33's and locked, 01 SR5-,SAS Sold...
    A few things here and there. Still dreaming up stuff
    The new Highlander is really nice for cruising around town etc...

Products Discussed in

To Top