1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Need help getting 96 going again

Discussion in '3rd Gen 4Runners (1996-2002)' started by jasonbays, Feb 16, 2019.

1. Feb 16, 2019 at 5:12 PM
    jasonbays

jasonbays [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    jason
    Vehicle:
    96 3rd gen 4r
    First post and in desperate need of help. 4runner broke down a few weeks ago and has been setting and ive been driving my wofes ride. Well my luck struck again and her motor went out.
    The 4runner started fine after work one day and i was coasting down parking garage and it died. Tried starting up and just cranked and cranked. Changed fuel filter and pump and got it to fire up when pumping/holding gas but wont idle and runs very rough and backfires/gush of air through intake. Buddy said he thought it was out of time so i replaced the timing belt....same thing. Heard a continuous clicking noise and tracked it down to the iac valve and replaced that. Still nothing. Has cel but now obd2 reader says communication error. Please help i need to get it goingto get to work monday

2. Feb 16, 2019 at 10:35 PM
    HoBoDanny

HoBoDanny Dude...

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2004 SR5 V6 4WD 4Runner
    RCI Skid Plate CBI Ditch Light Brackets Hankook DynaPro ATM RF10 265 70R17 113T Tires 1.25” Wheel Spacers TPMS Bypass Mod Hydrocarbon Filter Removed Merca decal 2” leveling kit front only Black headlights
    Get that obd2 reader to give you codes hard to tell without that. Sounds like timing to me as well though. Check to make sure your getting air, fuel, and spark if you have all of those then it’s either compression or timing that’s the issue.

Products Discussed in

To Top