1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Need a Long Island Area Toyota Mechanic

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by Toyota.ARK, Apr 9, 2021.

1. Apr 9, 2021 at 11:02 AM
    Toyota.ARK

Toyota.ARK [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 Magnetic Gray TRD-ORP
    Hey guys, quick question, I’d like to swap my Bilsteins on my 4Runner with KDSS back to the factory shocks and install 1.5/1 cornfed spacers. Anyone know of a good Toyota mechanic on the island who can help me out and not break the bank? Thanks!

2. Apr 22, 2022 at 3:36 AM
    Toyota.ARK

Member:
    Vehicle:
  3. Apr 22, 2022 at 8:28 AM
    PJSnow

PJSnow New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    PJ
    New York
    Vehicle:
    2018 Cavalry Blue TRD Pro
    How far out on the island are you? The Custom Shop in Astoria (Queens) works on 4runners but it might be too far depending on where you are located.
    I lifted mine in the driveway (ribbon driveway so it was annoying to jack up) but it wasn't too difficult with the right tools. Heck, I'd be willing to help you out if you wanted but you might be able to find the right shop if you keep looking.

Toyota.ARK[OP] likes this.
  4. Apr 22, 2022 at 8:37 AM
    Toyota.ARK

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I’m in oyster bay. I got a bp-51 kit in and don’t have the tools to adjust the preload.

5. Apr 22, 2022 at 9:49 AM
    PJSnow

PJSnow New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    PJ
    New York
    Vehicle:
    Oyster Bay isn't too far. The Custom Shop should be doable but you may also find something closer.
    You mentioned a few different suspension setups so it is difficult to say if any shop can necessarily help you. Your first post says you want to swap your current Bilstein setup back to the stock suspension with Cornfed spacers. You also just mentioned the BP-51 kit which is complete different. The only special tool to install the spacers onto the factory suspension is a set of spring compressors (almost any shop will have that and you can rent it from any automotive store if you want to do it on your own). If you just want to adjust the BP-51 coilovers, I think it requires their proprietary tool (which some shops may also have but you would have to ask around). If you purchased the BP-51 new online, it should have come with the adjustment tools or you could also call them up to order a new set.

6. Apr 22, 2022 at 10:03 AM
    Toyota.ARK

Member:
    Vehicle:
    lol, yea the OP was from a year ago. Though I’ve added lots of rear gear to weigh down the back, I’ve yet to find a tech-friend or a shop to call home. I did get a bp-51 kit and unfortunately it didn’t come with the prop-tool for spring compression. Mudify is overnighting one to me though.

4rmud likes this.
  7. Apr 22, 2022 at 10:15 AM
    PJSnow

PJSnow New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    PJ
    New York
    Vehicle:
    I saw April 9 and April 22 and didn't think they were a year apart... whoops
    Well sounds like you have everything you need to go to any shop. Finding a good one you trust is definitely not an easy task (especially for an affordable price).
    I've opted to do most of my own installs but like I said earlier, The Custom Shop seems to work on 4runners a good amount. I'll let you know if I hear of anything farther out on the island though.
    Best of luck with the search!

8. Apr 25, 2022 at 2:27 PM
    NOS4A2-1

NOS4A2-1 New Member

Member:
    NY
    Vehicle:
    2020 Venture
    I know of two places You might want to check out. They have good reviews and a good following. I can’t speak of prices though. Google them and check out the websites.

Xtreme 4wd
    797 middle country rd., st. James, 11780
    631-250-9505

RMS off road center
    1630 ocean ave, Bohemia, 11716
    631-563-7411

Xtreme is doing some work for me this week, I got a good vibe there and I thought the quoted price was reasonable.

Toyota.ARK[OP] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top