1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

My lightweight build, advice

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by Fltslr, Oct 23, 2020.

1. Oct 23, 2020 at 8:35 PM
    Fltslr

Fltslr [OP] the last hurrah

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Vehicle:
    2021 Lunar Rock 4runner Pro
    I am getting my Pro in a month, it arrives stateside on the 30th. I want to go light and I'm into long hauls with a teardrop. I already ordered budbuilt rock sliders. I also want a winch because of said teardrop. So.... I'm looking at a sos slimline front bumper, lighter than most, except aluminum.

But that will add140 - 160 lbs. on the front end. Could I offset that with a 150 lbs. bumper on the rear?

2. Oct 24, 2020 at 6:08 AM
    MeefZah

MeefZah ---

Member:
    Lexington, Ohio
    I don't know that the concept of balancing heavy weight on each end and the concept of overall lightness go hand in hand...

Consider a hidden winch bumper, and a synthetic line 8-10k winch. You're looking at a net gain of 60-ish pounds, with no need to deal with suspension or balancing other weight.

Options include Budbuilt, CBI, SDHQ, probably others.

Here's a writeup for the SDHQ, the first few posts pertain to a SR5, the last few pertain to a OR (would also apply to your PRO). All the hidden winch mounts will install similar to the SDHQ.

Mtbpsych likes this.
  3. Oct 24, 2020 at 4:37 PM
    Fltslr

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Vehicle:
    I've looked at the hidden winches and seems like access to the winch itself can be a pain. And they lack recovery points.

I understand building vs. being light. But there can be a medium between a heavy build and no build. I'm looking not to changing springs unless necessary. Right now the build I imagine is 400lbs below GVWR with everything aboard. (Now Looking at hefty fabworks prerunner bumper with warn zeon 10s and a hefty fabworks rear bumper) So once again, would the bumper offset the weight of a light bumper?

BTW, it's all about two three: light, strong, inexpensive. I like light and strong.

4. Oct 24, 2020 at 8:46 PM
    MeefZah

MeefZah ---

Member:
    Lexington, Ohio
    Winch access is super simple and you have two frame mounted recovery points; but I don't have a dog in the fight so I'm not trying to sway you one way or the other.

Mtbpsych likes this.
  5. Oct 24, 2020 at 9:15 PM
    Mtbpsych

Mtbpsych New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5
    so you plan on doing armor front and back without changing the suspension? You’re going to be scrapping on any trail unless you get a lift. I’ve seen 4Runners with just a front bumper sagged way down, don’t understand it but to each their own. No, adding weight in the back doesn’t offset it. You’re sagging the vehicle down even more. Advice would be if you plan on doing armor front and back, plan on adding proper equipped suspension to handle that weight otherwise you’ll hate driving that thing on and off-road.

6. Oct 24, 2020 at 9:37 PM
    Fltslr

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Vehicle:
    I'm just trying to figure out what to do. I don't mind changing springs if necessary. I was asking if those two changes necessitate suspension changes if the gvwr is well below maximum (if 400 lbs is well below). And I'm not looking into hard off road, I'm old and pulling a teardrop

7. Oct 24, 2020 at 9:50 PM
    Mtbpsych

Mtbpsych New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5
    Yes, adding those two pieces of armor if it were me i would change out my suspension as I would imagine handling on road would be terrible with stock suspension and off camber trails would not be fun. Especially while towing. Again, my opinion and you’re entitled to make your decisions, that’s just what I would personally do.

8. Oct 24, 2020 at 10:07 PM
    Fltslr

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Vehicle:
    Thanks

Products Discussed in

To Top