1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

my hit 2002 4runner

Discussion in 'General 4Runner Talk' started by BABYTOYODA, Jul 28, 2021.

1. Jul 28, 2021 at 3:26 PM
    BABYTOYODA

BABYTOYODA [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2000 Limited
    I am picking this up in utah tomorrow and have to drive it 500 miles..... I will replace the taillight and look underneath for tie rod damage, fuel and brake line leaks and maybe measure center of wheels front and back and compare with damaged side and when driving see if it shakes or pulls.... I asked the yard guy to go look at it..... he said tires looked straight to him..... my 3 questions.... do you think its ok to drive? would you drive it? and how hard is it to roughly fix it? thanks, Bryan

Screen Shot 2021-07-23 at 12.54.23 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-07-23 at 12.55.11 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-07-23 at 12.55.21 PM.jpg

2. Jul 28, 2021 at 4:47 PM
    wdsteven

wdsteven New Member

Member:
    I would make sure that the Tail light works properly like turn signals and brake lights and if going to be driving in the Dark the tail light should also work and be of the correct colors because the UTHP has been using any of the such issues as a reason to pull you over. So grab clear translucence red tape and make sure no bright white light shining out when on.

BABYTOYODA[OP] likes this.
  3. Jul 29, 2021 at 6:27 AM
    mousemeat

mousemeat New Member

Member:
    Memphis, TN.
    Vehicle:
    1997 4 runner limited
    upgraded suspension, large all terrain tires
    duct tape (red) rear light, make sure damaged light works....HWY patrol. loves to pull people over...once home, you can begin the process of repair, etc

4. Jul 29, 2021 at 6:50 AM
    olliechristoper

olliechristoper New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    3 important thins to do before driving it. Measure diagonally from 2 of the same points of frame front to rear. if they are not the same then you have frame damage. Also get under the vehicle and check every single component on that corner. You need to pull the wheel to do this properly.

And most important: Check for air bag deployment!! it's very simple to do by going under the vehicle and comparing the 2 sensors to see if one has wrench marks on it. It is common to sell vehicles by carefully stuffing back in the air bags and replacing sensors.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2021
    wfxt likes this.
  5. Jul 29, 2021 at 3:46 PM
    Bonitobob

Bonitobob New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    06 V8 Sport
    What possessed you to buy that thing? Run away fast.

6. Jul 29, 2021 at 4:04 PM
    olliechristoper

olliechristoper New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    I don't think we know the whole back story. It might very well be a great deal. OTOH it can turn into a nightmare if there is frame damage or airbags have deployed.

7. Jul 29, 2021 at 4:05 PM
    wdsteven

wdsteven New Member

Member:
    I would say the thrill and the lure of a 4Runner for a lot less $$$ and having the willingness to take the risk at what it may cost to fix it up. I have done the same with a different Toyota and it worked out good then.

olliechristoper likes this.
  8. Jul 29, 2021 at 9:46 PM
    BABYTOYODA

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2000 Limited
    I picked it up the paint is not good .... clear coat shot.... interior is excellent .... seats carpet all clean.... has cargo rug that looks new... and the retracting cargo cover bonus! all seals are good.... windshield good.... jumped it and started nice.... then started driving .... bad shake at the rear wheel.... drove to a Valvonine for an oil change and for them to look at it and to remove the window sticker and put in rear tail light.... they said all fluids great said do nothing ..... drove to Les Schwab feeling scared and depressed.... they said maybe the tire.... the spun it.... tire fine.... they put in on the rack.... I walked to Napa to get bulbs for the tail light..... they called just way out of adjustment .... fine now $99!!!!! drove home great at 85mph a lot of the time ..... steady and quiet .... ac not super cold but it was 97 out .... not as fancy as the limited but ok.... got it home wife hates it lol now need to have the repair done and paint the entire truck.... I will post pics tomorrow

9. Jul 30, 2021 at 6:10 AM
    wdsteven

wdsteven New Member

Member:
    Yay! don't you love that feeling that started with an "oh shit" when it changed to total relief when you realize yeah this thing is going to be all right?

BABYTOYODA[OP] likes this.
  10. Jul 30, 2021 at 7:15 AM
    BABYTOYODA

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2000 Limited
    my wife would have killed me and yeah felt great .... wife hates it and kinda right mechanically its really good .... dusty desert car from AZ paint was sandblaster off lol literally didnt notice the roof til got home its toast... I just sold a 2000 milinium silver 4runner for $8k with 237k paint was excellent, iteriour ok but smelled like cigarettes drove ok ...... to buy this 2002 with 121k on it .... will need 2k in body repair maybe paint ... interior perfect .... did I fuck up? I can refinance the 2002 and couldn't the 2000 and always needed the $ for our roof which leaks .... bought both out of the roof fund all of it lol .... I am into this one so far for $7200 if body and paint come to $3k I could have just gone to a dealer lol

11. Jul 30, 2021 at 7:16 AM
    BABYTOYODA

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2000 Limited
    tempted to bedline the truck grey n black but wife hates that idea too lol

trlhiker likes this.
  12. Jul 30, 2021 at 4:44 PM
    Bonitobob

Bonitobob New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    06 V8 Sport
    Super that the mechanics worked out. Shit those prices are sky high on both the one you sold and the one you bought. It would have been better to sell the cigarette butt and then wait out this craziness to buy back in, no?

13. Jul 30, 2021 at 6:32 PM
    BABYTOYODA

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2000 Limited
    I sold a mint 1973 Bronco 15 yrs ago with about 100k on it for $3700.... think I can buy back in early Broncos when the craziness is over? these 4runners will be the old Broncos in 10 yrs only they will be reliable lol

Products Discussed in

To Top