1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

MTM CAMERA CONNECTIONS

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by audiopro69, Nov 22, 2022.

1. Nov 22, 2022 at 8:47 AM
    audiopro69

audiopro69 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Taz
    Valley Forge PA
    Vehicle:
    22 TRD PRO
    None yet
    So here is a question, does anybody know if all the cameras for the MTM system connect directly to the JBL headunit on 2022 TRDP or if they go to a processor box and that feeds the headunit

I would love to upgrade my headunit to bigger screen but don't want to loose the MTM

2. Nov 22, 2022 at 9:15 AM
    audiopro69

Member:
    First Name:
    Taz
    Valley Forge PA
    Vehicle:
    22 TRD PRO
    None yet
    Ok so I may have answered my own question, seems the camera systems first go to the Parking Assist Computer which is a separate module Toyota Part 86972C then that feeds the headunit what we see
    So now just have to figure out is it s a single video output from that module or if all 4 cameras pass thru to the headunit.

3. Nov 23, 2022 at 6:05 AM
    EC15

EC15 ...

Member:
    Don't know about the connections but if you figure it out and upgrade to a bigger screen, could you report back regarding the clarity of the back up camera?

I have a 2022 with MTM and the reverse camera clarity is really bad. Worse than my 2015. Many say it's the resolution of the new screen but I think it's software related. When using the secret service menu, everything is clear but as soon as I go into the camera settings page, the resolution degrades.

4. Nov 23, 2022 at 8:20 AM
    audiopro69

Member:
    First Name:
    Taz
    Valley Forge PA
    Vehicle:
    22 TRD PRO
    None yet
    Will do my son is in Tech school so he is getting me the full wiring diagrams from ALLDATA for the parking aide computer which all the cameras go to first, then with the diagrams i can see if it is a single harness to single input on the headunit, if it is then the parking aide computer does all the switching, grid lines etc

My hope is that by upgrading to a larger screen headunit with iDatalink integration the MTM can be kept
    even better will be that the cameras can be upgraded

I agree the resolution of the cameras suck compared to my wife's 22 Pathfinder, her camera's and the image quality look like i'm watching my 4K TV and they are much better at night as well, my theory is that the software in the parking aide computer or the unit it self is not pushing the same resolution as the headunit screen, personally the interface on the headunit for a 2022 year vehicle is a joke, menu system is terrible, graphics are from a 1980's VCR
    I've been using carplay mostly

EC15[QUOTED] likes this.
  5. Nov 23, 2022 at 10:53 AM
    Captain Spalding

Captain Spalding . . .

Member:
    Yep. My bet is that the camera quality is fine but that the software that assembles all the elements of the backup screen is mangling the camera image.

EC15[QUOTED] likes this.
  6. Mar 13, 2023 at 1:31 PM
    semprenissart

semprenissart Mèfi

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2022 4Runner TRD Pro (MGM)
    Westcott Sliders. Gobi no rise
  7. Apr 17, 2023 at 4:10 AM
    4runnerboxer

4runnerboxer New Member