1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Mpgs

Discussion in '4th Gen 4Runners (2003-2009)' started by bennett03t4r, Nov 1, 2016.

1. Nov 1, 2016 at 5:28 PM
    bennett03t4r

bennett03t4r [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bennett
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2003 silver 4Runner limited
    Weather tech liners, kenwood head unit, blacked out badges, & painted wheels
    I worked the last couple summers to buy myself a Toyota 4Runner. I've wanted one for years so the day I turned 16 I bought a 2003 4wd limited V8. My question is do you all have any suggestions for me to get better fuel mileage? It is completely stock right now. It came with the 17 inch rims and has the stock tire size. Any suggestions?

2. Nov 2, 2016 at 5:50 AM
    RonT4R

RonT4R New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Virginia Beach
    Vehicle:
    2007 4runner SR5 4WD
    Regular tune ups and street tires is my only thought....

I had a 2003 4Runner with the 4.0 V6 and it had Michelin MS2's and I got around 19 to 20mpg. My current 2007 with the same motor and Cooper Discovery RTX tires I get around 17.8 mpg.

3. Nov 2, 2016 at 7:22 AM
    bahndrvr

bahndrvr New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Trevor
    Melbourne, Fl
    Vehicle:
    03 SR5 V8 4Runner
    2003 4Runner SR5 v8 - Temp Front: Top hat spacer 2.5" on Tacoma struts/springs Rear: TJM/King heavy extended Tacoma shocks 315 BFG AT KO2's (35's) Thrush Welded muffler and rear watermelon delete with turned exit K&N drop in, and extra filter delete Strengthened/Welded passenger side front diff mount Front diff drop - due to the top hat spacer and massive droop.... Scion headunit CB Other stuff done, 6th 4Runner:)
    I have a 3" lift on my stock sized tires 265/65/17 with crappy street tread - I have the same vehicle as you 2003 v8 4Runner - have a K&N panel filter, the micro filter removed from top of stock airbox, and weld in Thrush Turbo Welded muffler and I do around 70% city driving and am averaging round 18.9 mpg hand calc, on my readout I'm constantly around 19.9-20.1. I'm actually so happy with my mileage I'm not in a hurry to get my larger tires until these wear out.

I'm getting better mileage with this v8 than I did with my 2004 v6 which amazes me but the v8 and the 5 speed auto seem to really really work well together!

For better mileage - keep your foot out of it down low - Helps more than anything else - then do fluid flush in tranny, differential fluid change, plugs go back with stock none of the gimmick plugs as they will foul quickly, and use your cruise control and don't sit and idle a lot.

What are you getting to make you hope for better mileage?

4. Nov 13, 2016 at 4:41 PM
    Onlythebeggining

Onlythebeggining New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brody
    Ventura county, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4runner SR5
    Stage three icon lift Shrockworks front bumber 102" whip antenna 33" bfg at's Cobra cb radio CBI rear bumper with tire carrier CBI kick out rock sliders.
    Mileage doesnt change with bigger tires... larger circumfrence isnt accounted for on your odometer. You actually travel farther than what the digital readout displays. Ive got 33"s and my milage hasnt changed a bit. I did however, lose a bit with my lift as it disrupeted the original airstream so there is more drag than the engineers had intended but i dont modify my rig to be more highway friendly. I like the look and i was able to handle moab quite well this year.

5. Nov 13, 2016 at 5:30 PM
    Relentless

Relentless Offroad armor Fabricating beast! Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Sparks NV
    Vehicle:
    05 Limited 4.7 V8, long travel, dual locked
    Lifted on 35s and Relentless Armored, too much to list!
    I've noticed on our V8 they seem to like a freer flowing exhaust. Might try adding a quality cat back exhaust onto it.
    Also make sure all your service is up to date. Synthetic gear oil in the differentials and transfer case cant hurt, make sure the air filter is in good shape, spark plugs are fairly new etc etc. And of course make sure your tire pressure is about 35psi or so

Products Discussed in

To Top