1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Moving to AZ

Discussion in 'South West U.S.' started by Chucklehead, Apr 12, 2022.

1. Apr 12, 2022 at 9:35 AM
    Chucklehead

Chucklehead [OP] Enjoy the ride! You only get one trip

Member:
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Vehicle:
    2021 4Runner Black TRD ORP
    Stock AF, with subtle personality tweaks
    Hey there South Westerners .... Indiana boy here - all my life with the exception of ALOT of time spent in Eastern Tennessee for family .....

Anyway - our fam is evolving - the Kids graduating college and they've indicated no way they are coming back to what they call Fort Lame (fort wayne). I get it (somewhat) so the discussion has been welp we all detest the 6 months of darkness cold and despair here in northern Indiana and since you kids are starting your careers pick someplace with better weather and 'ole mom and I will quit our jobs and move to that area. My wife in healthcare and I'm an engineer with a diverse background so we figure we can get a job without much fuss.

Anyhow - trying to research the areas and find a good balance to live in. A place with decent jobs, growing community, suburban type living - not big city and not rural, decent schools (grandkids some day with fingers crossed).

Right now the eye's have been on surrounding communities of Phoenix.

Figured heck I'm on this forum all the time with a bunch of cool guy's and gal's so why not put it out there to those who actually know the area to get some suggestions on cities to have a closer look at or those to definitely stay the heck away from...

Thanks for any insights!

2. Apr 12, 2022 at 11:01 AM
    SlvrSlug

SlvrSlug Slightly bent.

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Ramona Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2017 4-Runner SR-5 P. Kings, Built Right uca’s, Durabumps, RSG sliders
    I do not live there, but have in-laws there. I live in San Diego, and have for many years. We always have an influx of Zonies every summer for a few months because they say it’s to f ing hot there. Just sayin.:cheers:

Jackstraw and nimby like this.
  3. Apr 12, 2022 at 11:36 AM
    dougfresh

dougfresh New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle:
    '22 ORP, '19 Mustang GT, '69 Z/28 Camaro
    We're in Vegas and personally love that it is warm 95% of the year. Plenty of nature and other things to do besides the 'strip' and other debauchery here. I drove through AZ recently and I must say, you'll be happy there. It's a beautiful place and full of adventure, especially off-roading. Good luck with your move!

4. Apr 12, 2022 at 12:26 PM
    nimby

nimby in the drink

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    California
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5P
    If i was forced to live in AZ, I'd be looking at Sedona or Flagstaff personally.

I wouldn't be able to function in 120 degree summers.

5. Apr 12, 2022 at 12:41 PM
    Chucklehead

Chucklehead [OP] Enjoy the ride! You only get one trip

Member:
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Vehicle:
    2021 4Runner Black TRD ORP
    Stock AF, with subtle personality tweaks
    Hey all - thanks for responding and keep it coming.
    yes we know it has times it is hot AF there.
    We lived in India (the country) for two years on an expat assignment so we understand what it means to live in a hot climate - add to it the aroma of garbage and human waste and well... nothin can top it.

Anyway - understand there are some periods where it's way hot - It's basically the inverse of here - there are months here in Northern Indiana that are cold and nasty as hell in the winter months and people stay indoors - we happily trade that for a some summer months where it's hot out and stay indoors mainly. The difference is - the cold is so brutal there aint nothin getting me to go out any second longer than necessary where as super hot - well i can deal with some sweat as the option!

Ironguy, SlvrSlug and nimby like this.
  6. Apr 12, 2022 at 12:47 PM
    dougfresh

dougfresh New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle:
    '22 ORP, '19 Mustang GT, '69 Z/28 Camaro
    The lack of humidity helps for sure. The whole "dry heat" saying is true.

Spydr5, Overland WT and Jackstraw like this.
  7. Apr 12, 2022 at 12:51 PM
    jester243

jester243 rabble rabble rabble

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    2016 4Runner Trail Premium w/ KDSS
    I changed some lights, tires and tinted windows...mind blowing huh
    I have a lot of family mostly around Peoria and they absolutely love it down there. When we visit I like getting out toward Sedona, gorgeous and not as crazy busy with people.

Chucklehead[OP] likes this.
  8. Apr 12, 2022 at 1:01 PM
    Burnt Taco

Burnt Taco "Like that's just your opinion, man".

Member:
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    '22 ORP, Wife's 2020 SR5
    We've lived in Tucson for 18 years now having come from MT and WY. Got done with snow, cold and brutal wind (WY).
    PHX is about 8-10 degrees hotter in the summer, a lot of pollution and too many people for our tastes. Tucson has Raytheon for the engineering side of it (other engineering options as well) and lots of health care employment options.
    Good luck on your journey.

Chucklehead[OP] and Moon Landing like this.
  9. Apr 12, 2022 at 1:03 PM
    Burnt Taco

Member:
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    '22 ORP, Wife's 2020 SR5
    P.S. Sedona is CRAZY with tourists/ visitors and a lot of crazy Whoo whoo types unless you're into that kind of thing.....
    Sedona is beautiful.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2022
  10. Apr 12, 2022 at 1:04 PM
    GrantA

GrantA Enjoying God’s creation

Member:
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    Fully locked 2020 SR5 Premium
    - GOBI roof rack and ladder - Westcott Design Rock sliders - M.O.R.E. Underbody Skid plates - Dual ARB air compressor & ARB single compressor - LED interior lighting - Ironman 2.0 meter awning and enclosure - Ironman winch with factor55 hook - Ironman foam cell pro suspension - Ironman recovery snatch rope - Ironman recovery traction boards - lilbscustomfab Hybrid Front Bumper - lilbscustomfab BMC - RRW RR7-H Hybrid Beadlock wheels - Nitto Trail Grapplers 285/75/17 M/T - 4.88 gears - ARB front air locker - ARB rear air locker - Hi-lift jack & mount - Sony aftermarket speakers - LASFIT External LED Light Conversion - Center console organizer - Glovebox organizer - ICS phone Mount holder - C4 rear bumper with dual swing arms - C4 gas skid plate - C4 rear diff skid plates
    I have lived in the Phoenix area for over 15 years. I was happy to get out of there. Now if I had the option with work I would have moved up to the Flagstaff area and stayed in Arizona. However, that was not an option. I would not move to the Phoenix Metro area unless you like living in really hot heat, nice winters where snowbirds flock in, and don’t forget all the stuff going on with water shortages in the area. I felt happy to get out but to each there own.

Granted a lot of jobs and such, good roads in Phoenix area, but not my cup of tea anymore.

runnerjimmy and nimby like this.
  11. Apr 12, 2022 at 1:08 PM
    Burnt Taco

Member:
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    '22 ORP, Wife's 2020 SR5
    Flag is gorgeous but colder winters than other places in AZ. Does snow there but melts pretty quick.

nimby and polyguy79 like this.
  12. Apr 12, 2022 at 1:20 PM
    polyguy79

polyguy79 New Member

Member:
    LA County
    Vehicle:
    2021 White Runner ORP
    RCI aluminum skids (front, trans, TC, and gas), RCI steel sliders 20 degree no plates with kickout, Treaty Oak recovery points, LFD stainless crossbars, Greenlane ladder, Toyo Open Country AT III, Bilstein 5100s, OME (front 2” lift) and Eibach (rear 1”lift) coils
    Flagstaff is where I would be at. Not brutal hot in the summer. And while it does get snow in winter, it’s not even close to a Midwest winter. Perfect balance of both seasons

Jedi5150, Chucklehead[OP] and nimby like this.
  13. Apr 12, 2022 at 3:59 PM
    SlvrSlug

SlvrSlug Slightly bent.

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Ramona Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2017 4-Runner SR-5 P. Kings, Built Right uca’s, Durabumps, RSG sliders
    Prescott would be alright also.

Chucklehead[OP] likes this.
  14. Apr 13, 2022 at 9:42 PM
    runnerjimmy

runnerjimmy Wannabe

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Scottsdale Az. Castle Rock Co.
    Vehicle:
    2021 ORP Barcelona red
    Fox 2.5 DSC. 2 1/2” front, 2”rear. Falken Wildpeak 255/80/17
    Real estate in Phoenix metro is butt f*”#+#& crazy. A lot of cash buyers moving here. Bidding way over asking prices, very competitive. Yes it is very nice between mid October to mid May. People and cops shooting each other every day. Some of the highest gas prices in the country several years now. Cost of living not all that great.

I moved here 6 years ago. Colorado native, got tired of the winters , and the mess associated with it. Yes Arizona has it pluses, but for me I am looking for something with milder winters then Colorado, and less harsh summers then Arizona, Better cost of living.

I’m leaning towards upper northwestern South Carolina, lower southwestern North Carolina. Trees, mountains, green grass, rivers, lakes, rain. Rocks dirt and cactus in Az. Pouring a gross amount of dwindling water supplies to keep grass green year around.

Good luck, do your homework well!

Last edited: Apr 14, 2022
    SlvrSlug and nimby like this.
  15. Apr 14, 2022 at 8:35 AM
    Overland WT

Overland WT Grumpy Old Guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    West Texas
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Off Road
    Many with many more to go
    Lived in north PHX for 5 years, worked downtown at the county hospital. Commutes are brutal in the heat no matter the direction. If it were me, I'd stay way from Phoenix proper. But some communities on the fringes can be worth it.

Tucson. Often overlooked. I love Tucson. Its more akin to Albuquerque. Much smaller, gets more rain, people are friendlier there and PHX is only 2 hours away.

Wickenburg. NW of PHX by 30 mins or so, it ticks all the boxes you mention. Growing but still away from the BS of PHX.

Chino Valley/Prescott. Awesome places abound. Trails, amazing hiking/water access. Higher elevation, more rain, some snow, lots of "snowbirds" visit in the winter.

Flagstaff has truly all 4 seasons. 85 during the day, but in the 50's a night. Snow but easy to manage. Jumping off point to LA, Vegas, PHX, Sand Diego, etc, etc.

Apache Junction. Higher native population than most other areas so the culture is different. Desert valley with some cool mountain areas (Lost Dutchman Mine).

North PHX/Cave Creek/Carefree. 1,000' higher than the PHX valley. More rain then the valley gets. Expensive.

nimby and dougfresh like this.
  16. Apr 14, 2022 at 3:10 PM
    runnerjimmy

runnerjimmy Wannabe

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Vehicle:
    2021 ORP Barcelona red
    Prescott would be my choice, however it is getting real Californicated, It will get hot summer days, with a decent cool down in the evening.always possibilities of wildfires. Altitude about a mile high compared to 1300’ Phoenix. As to when summer sets into Phoenix area your overnight low’s will not get below 90, and it is a long summer. So forget thinking when the sun goes down you sit on the back porch.

If you close yourself in for winter where you are at, you will close yourself in for summer in Phoenix. Six of one a half dozen the other.

Flag altitude over 7000’ so depending on health and other factors, something to think about.

SlvrSlug likes this.
  17. Apr 14, 2022 at 4:19 PM
    Commited

Commited New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Oscar
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    2019 Silver Metallic TRD ORP
    Tinted fronts, blacked out overlays.
    Americas song Horse With No Name has a verse in it that says “The Heat was Hot” that’s Southern AZ in the summertime.

nimby likes this.
  18. Apr 14, 2022 at 4:48 PM
    runnerjimmy

runnerjimmy Wannabe

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Vehicle:
    2021 ORP Barcelona red
    One cop shot and in critical condition today in Phoenix. Another cop shot, and suspect sniped in Glendale this morning, lot of folks carrying in this state. Do not need a permit for concealed carry. However you do need to be legally able to own a firearm.

You don’t want to piss off anybody in traffic here, seems to be a lot of these types of altercations here also. I’m all for gun rights, but I’ve learned to keep my middle finger in my pocket.

Burnt Taco likes this.
  19. Apr 16, 2022 at 12:37 PM
    PhantomTweak

PhantomTweak New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    OREGON
    Vehicle:
    1999 4Runner, bone stock
    None. Bone Stock. EXCEPT: Brushguard, tow hitch, both welded to the frame. It's good to have friends and a fully equipped garage!
    I lived in Yuma nearly 30 years.
    Lately the crime rate skyrocketed. I couldn't step out my front door without a sidearm. The number of illegals using my place (2.5 acres) as an overnight camp and rest stop had gone WAY up, too. My property was less than 1/4 mile from the river/border (same thing). May explain the increase.
    Even in town, the crime was out of hand, and if you don't speak Spanglish, you can't get any service in most stores.

I've seen 110° on Christmas day, and ridden my motorcycle an hour home from work in 125°. My electric (read AC) bill was usually well over $200.00. Per Month. SLIGHTLY less in winter, such as it was. What was left of the river, the Colorado, was about ankle deep near my property. Most of it was drawn off by California, and Nevada.

Point is, avoid Yuma as if it had the Plague. Seriously.
    Pat

20. Apr 20, 2022 at 12:39 AM
    Sixgunz

Sixgunz Gold Member

Member:
    Phoenix
    Vehicle:
    2022 ORP
    Kings front and back, RSG sliders, GOBI ladder BFG AT 285s, OEM phone dial wheels, KDSS
    I'd look at Peoria, Buckeye, Anthem, Desert Hills, Cave Creek, Carefree, North Scottsdale, Gilbert, Chandler & Queen Creek.

I've lived in Arizona for 50 years. The heat sucks...really bad. But, we have A/C. And, between October and May, it's very nice, especially at night.

The traffic influx in the Phoenix area for the past 10 or 20 years is unreal. I live North of Phoenix and hate driving into town & avoid it at all costs. There are bad parts of any city - there's parts of South Scottsdale I wouldn't walk around unarmed at....well, ever.

21. Sep 10, 2022 at 4:32 PM
    threepointno

threepointno New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    93’ T4R
    I’m in lake havasu and I absolutely love it out here.

22. Sep 11, 2022 at 8:47 AM
    erikbones8

erikbones8 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    Vehicle:
    2021 4Runner TRD
    Wescott lift, Rigd tire carrier, Baja ditch and fog amber lights.
    Northern AZ is where it’s at

23. Nov 12, 2022 at 8:46 AM
    Ironguy

Ironguy New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ralph
    Bisbee AZ
    Vehicle:
    2020 Black 4Runner Venture 1967 FJ40 Land Cruiser
    New pine scent hanger, new sun shade
    I'm curious to know where you end up in Arizona. We live in Southern Cochise County and enjoy it. Sure it's hot for a few weeks in the summer, but most of the year it's more than bearable.

24. Nov 12, 2022 at 3:32 PM
    mousemeat

mousemeat New Member

Member:
    Memphis, TN.
    Vehicle:
    1997 4 runner limited
    upgraded suspension, large all terrain tires
    liberals have tanked AZ...but that's just my opinion...you can pretty much live anywhere in AZ, just be aware of your surroundings, and use common sense....

GrantA likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top