1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

More News on Chip Shortage...

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by rickystl, Sep 16, 2021.

1. Sep 17, 2021 at 12:32 PM
    Roland

Roland New Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2019 Toyota 4runner TRD off-road premium
    It's not only about ourselves, It’s caring about others. Then it's easy to know what to do.

fajitas21, 7385, Spare Parts and 3 others like this.
  2. Sep 17, 2021 at 12:39 PM
    Slopemaster

Slopemaster Slope Survivalist

Member:
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5
    265-70-17 Ridge Grapplers, TRD Pro rims, 3M precut bra, N-Fab nerf/steps
    +1,

What we have today is akin to the group in 97' that put on their jumpsuits and sneakers and drank the kool-aid so they and their kooky cult leader could board the space ship following behind the Hale Boop comet headed to heavens gate.

But today, it's a much larger group.

Deuxdiesel and Roland[QUOTED] like this.
  3. Sep 17, 2021 at 12:43 PM
    thermorex

thermorex New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Name Redacted
    Swamp area
    Vehicle:
    2021 4Runner TRD PRO
    Sure, disagree all you want, but all viruses that mutate get weaker, it is the way they all are, you can research for yourself if you want. Although the delta seems to be more contagious, but nevertheless it isn't stronger than the original.

captrussia253 and brownersd like this.
  4. Sep 17, 2021 at 1:27 PM
    Sixgunz

Sixgunz Gold Member

Member:
    Phoenix
    Vehicle:
    2022 ORP
    Kings front and back, RSG sliders, GOBI ladder BFG AT 285s, OEM phone dial wheels, KDSS

Well said! I, too, believe this was a man-made virus that the dummkopfs in Wuhan couldn't keep contained.

The way I look at it is this - I've lived my life. I'm recently retired with a good pension. My family is healthy and somewhat older (teenagers). I won't be having more kids....at least intentionally. I simply don't believe that three, separate multi-billion dollar companies would intentionally create something that would harm everyone who took the vaccine. It would be financial suicide for all of them, not to mention criminal charges for everyone involved. I don't want to be responsible for infecting my parents, or anyone else, and they died because of it. I couldn't forgive myself if that happened because I refused to get vaccinated. If the vaccine kills me, it kills me. I can live with that. ;-)

Seriously - I don't buy into the hysteria or the fringes who say the mRNA vaccine will turn you into a frog. That's just nonsense. (I got the J&J, for the record) Now, I do believe that part of the push for all of us to get vaccinated...or even a 3rd "booster" shot... is money related. The pharmaceutical companies made very little money on round 1 of the vaccine. They are making money hand over fist on these vaccines now, which I believe is finding its way into politicians' re-election campaign accounts. I think I read somewhere that Moderna now has $15 billion in their bank account.

With all that being said, it is an indisputable fact that the overwhelming majority of people in hospitals with COVID are unvaccinated. That is not a coincidence. So, obviously, I'm vaccinated but my wife is not. She falls into the group of being afraid of the possible side effects (that have affected .0000001 % of the people). I don't push her one way or the other, it's her decision. I do believe, however, that her employer will soon be mandating the vaccine. She's beginning to crack...every few days, she rhetorically asks, "Hmm, I wonder where the J&J vaccines are being administered?"

thermorex likes this.
  5. Sep 17, 2021 at 1:54 PM
    ElectroBoy

ElectroBoy Ad astra

Member:
    Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    2018 ORP
    It’s not that simple and it’s hard to generalize. Viruses are always mutating. Sometimes the mutation makes them stronger (I.e., more virulent, cause a more aggressive disease) or more contagious, or even weaker. Some mutations don’t seem to do anything to give them a survival advantage. It’s been reported that the covid-19 delta variant is more highly contagious than the previous variants, but not more virulent. But some studies in Canada and Scotland seem to show that it causes more severe illness and more hospitalizations, especially among the unvaccinated. So we can’t relax just yet.

7385 and Spare Parts like this.
  6. Sep 17, 2021 at 2:06 PM
    Roland

Roland New Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    We don't know that, we can assume, and it's possible. "I, too, believe this was a man-made virus that the dummkopfs in Wuhan couldn't keep contained."

All else, I agree with you.

IMHO and totally mind-boggling is that all people in the US have access to a C-19 vaccine, not even realizing how fortunately they are in this Country. Billions of people in this world wanting to be desperately vaccinated and do not have that luxury for crying out loud.

7385, Slopemaster and ElectroBoy like this.
  7. Sep 17, 2021 at 2:19 PM
    TBoe1776

TBoe1776 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 Tacoma TRD off-road 4x4 dcsb
    Very interesting conversation in this forum. Some of you would already be banned over on the Tundra forum lol...

thirdyota, DogStar84, JET4 and 3 others like this.
  8. Sep 17, 2021 at 2:23 PM
    Slopemaster

Member:
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5
    +1

I agree, I can't help but wonder if the Covid vaccine/booster will become an annual to do thing just like the flu shot.

I'm no medical person, but my understanding is that each year they create the flu shot based on their best assessment of the current strain.

Wouldn't this be the same with the Covid vaccines?

Every person worldwide is tired and stressed about this regardless of our viewpoints/beliefs.

I for one sure miss all the simple things in life that we took for granted.

9. Sep 17, 2021 at 2:25 PM
    Roland

Roland New Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    It looks to me that 4R enthusiasts are more level headed. Lol

7385, Slopemaster and GrantA like this.
  10. Sep 17, 2021 at 2:26 PM
    GrantA

GrantA Enjoying God’s creation

Member:
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    Fully locked 2020 SR5 Premium
    - GOBI roof rack and ladder - Westcott Design Rock sliders - M.O.R.E. Underbody Skid plates - Dual ARB air compressor & ARB single compressor - LED interior lighting - Ironman 2.0 meter awning and enclosure - Ironman winch with factor55 hook - Ironman foam cell pro suspension - Ironman recovery snatch rope - Ironman recovery traction boards - lilbscustomfab Hybrid Front Bumper - lilbscustomfab BMC - RRW RR7-H Hybrid Beadlock wheels - Nitto Trail Grapplers 285/75/17 M/T - 4.88 gears - ARB front air locker - ARB rear air locker - Hi-lift jack & mount - Sony aftermarket speakers - LASFIT External LED Light Conversion - Center console organizer - Glovebox organizer - ICS phone Mount holder - C4 rear bumper with dual swing arms - C4 gas skid plate - C4 rear diff skid plates
    I was getting ready to say the same thing and that I believe we are keeping it civilized and not being hurtful to anyone.

11. Sep 17, 2021 at 3:00 PM
    Roland

Roland New Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    A yearly booster vaccine might as well be, for the moment it's too early to assess. More effective medication to prevent death will become available down the road, and in the near future most likely oral vaccines. The best way to resolve this pandemic is for people to lighten up, spending more time on education than Facebook & the likes.

The Spanish flu (H1N1 influenza) took 62,000,000 lives between 1910 & 1920 an a estimated 540 million infections globally approximately a third of the global population at the time and came back in 2009-2010 called the swine flu, taking another 300,000 lives; nowadays and in 2009 we have oseltamivir as a treatment for those infected with swine flu (H1N1 influenza) as well the availability of swine flu vaccine which may have contributed to fewer fatalities in 2009-2010.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2021
    7385 and ElectroBoy like this.
  12. Sep 17, 2021 at 4:12 PM
    Gamma Ray

Gamma Ray Be excellent to each other

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 SR5 Barcelona Red
    Who cares? This never shows everything anyway.
    I agree with this post. Good job, everyone.

Here's my piece. I'm usually very pro-freedoms. The vaccine? This isn't the hill to die on. This is the government actually doing something good for a change. Something truly meaningful that directly affects your life and the lives of the ones you love. While certain events surrounding the virus may be questionable, don't mistake the creation of a tragedy with someone just taking advantage of an opportunity. The vaccine isn't some conspiracy to desecrate the sanctity of your body. And even if it is, it's only going to keep you alive in order to fight for your rights. Please get vaccinated if you're medically able to. Please.

And personally, I think there's a very real possibility this virus is some sort of bad mojo gone wrong. While it might not be an outright bioweapon, something seems to have gone wrong in the lab in Wuhan. China's being way too cagey about it for comfort. We may never really know what happened, but if my hypothesis is true, then the vaccine could literally be a countermeasure against a bioweapon. How cool is that? 7 year old me would be all over that shit. I'm talking GI Joe fighting Cobra levels of awesomeness. I'd be so proud of myself when getting my shot.

ecoterragaia, 7385, Roland and 4 others like this.
  13. Sep 17, 2021 at 8:35 PM
    MountainMan

MountainMan New Member

Member:
    Pacific Northwest
    Vehicle:
    2019 4Runner MountainMan Edition
    Common sense and critical thinking leads me to question why on earth the science of natural immunity is being completely ignored and disregarded and instead, the government is pushing for vaccinations.

I got Covid in February. It was awful. Like the worst flu I've had. 2 months later, my company is pushing me to get the vaccine. Medical friends of mine said I don't need it because I have natural immunity for at least a few months and would likely have a negative reaction because of all the natural antibodies. Company doc said that wasn't true and gave me the shot. I lost a week of work due to being just as sick as I got with Covid.

6 months later, company said I needed the 2nd shot, and after 6 months, no way I would be affected. I applied for a new job with the state and they said I needed the 2nd shot in order to be hired. So I got the 2nd shot. Missed 3 days of work due to fever, chills, aches, and general misery.

So sick of being lied to and having my actual experiences be completely opposite of what the government and medical "experts" are telling me.

I'm not anti-vaccine. I served overseas in the military and have been shot up with more vaccines and who knows what than most people here. I also believe there is some benefit to getting vaccinated in order to reduce severity of illness and rate of infection with Covid. But, I also think that there is such a wide disparity in the efficacy and risk ratios for different people, that it should remain a personal choice.

The outright Orwellian push to force EVERYONE to get the vaccine is extremely troubling. And pointing out that the government mandated Polio and Measles vaccines to somehow excuse this vaccine mandate completely ignores the differences between the diseases. Polio has a mortality rate of 5% to 15% and affects mostly children.

https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/poliomyelitis/facts

In 1952, the US had the worst outbreak with around 58,000 cases. Out of those cases, 3,145 children died, and 21,269 were left with permanent mild to disabling paralysis. Polio had a nearly 50% rate of either paralysis or death. A mandatory vaccine makes sense. In fact, I have the scar on my right tricep from getting the shot. Mandatory vaccination for Covid does not make sense.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polio

CR_Sig1970, 2Toys, DogStar84 and 5 others like this.
  14. Sep 17, 2021 at 8:44 PM
    4runningMan

4runningMan New Member

Member:
    New Mexico
    I hope they continue to educate the masses about the vaccines. And hope everyone that wants one is able to get one. But for those that are scared (or terrified, at worst) we need to show compassion and be patient.

When it comes down to it, I think most of the “hesitation” is actually fear. The last 20 months have been unprecedented in the modern world. That some people are fearful, for any number of reasons, is completely understandable.

ecoterragaia likes this.
  15. Sep 17, 2021 at 8:56 PM
    4runningMan

4runningMan New Member

Member:
    New Mexico
    I’m puzzled by the same things you are. The only explanation I can think of is that “they” are looking at this from a public health standpoint rather than a patient focused one. And they’ve calculated (or guessed) that the “best” way out of this is simply to vaccinate everyone as quickly as possible, thereby keeping it as simple as possible to hopefully ensure a desired outcome.

I’m not offering my judgement on any of that. Just trying to answer a question I’ve been asking myself for the last several months.

There are almost certainly some people that shouldn’t get the shot (you being one of them). But that’s been left out of the messaging entirely. And to be upset with someone in your shoes? That’s unreasonable.

MountainMan[QUOTED] likes this.
  16. Sep 17, 2021 at 9:02 PM
    Moon Landing

Moon Landing AFFTC 1967/68 Eddies Air Patch

Member:
    First Name:
    Jer
    La Quinta, Ca. AKA "The Skillet"
    Vehicle:
    Moon Rock 4Runner
    Nam 68/69
    If you get jabbed(however many times we're told it will take - still an unknown?) you may contract it anyway, but it's said, your likelihood of dyeing is 'lessened' - whatever that means, and whomever it applies to? More Russian roulette?

Not what this old salt calls reassuring info(uh, science).

Choices

2Toys likes this.
  17. Sep 17, 2021 at 9:14 PM
    glwood54

glwood54 Stop making me buy stuff!

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    2019 OR, KDSS, RSG sliders, Eibach shocks, 265/70 Falken Wildpeaks
    This thread sure went viral.

2Toys and 7385 like this.
  18. Sep 17, 2021 at 9:16 PM
    Moon Landing

Member:
    First Name:
    Jer
    Vehicle:
    Moon Rock 4Runner
    Nam 68/69
    Viral............now that's funny :rofl:

2Toys likes this.
  19. Sep 17, 2021 at 10:11 PM
    MountainMan

MountainMan New Member

Member:
    Pacific Northwest
    Vehicle:
    2019 4Runner MountainMan Edition
    My company announced today during our weekly meeting that the shortage of chips is still an epidemic and not getting better any time soon, but that we aren't going to halt production, but rather shift focus away from lines that require more chips. Ironically, they then had our medical Director give a speech on how great the vaccine is and why everybody should get it no matter what.

20. Sep 17, 2021 at 10:20 PM
    Moon Landing

Member:
    First Name:
    Jer
    Vehicle:
    Moon Rock 4Runner
    Nam 68/69
    There's a BIG difference in the CDC's definition of vaccine today, versus when we took the first polio vaccine in the 50's. You may find this an interesting read. https://www.miamiherald.com/news/coronavirus/article254111268.html

21. Sep 17, 2021 at 10:40 PM
    4runningMan

4runningMan New Member

Member:
    New Mexico
    But if they didn’t change the definition, they couldn’t call this a vaccine. Pretty simple, really.

2Toys, JaSC and Moon Landing[QUOTED] like this.
  22. Sep 18, 2021 at 12:25 AM
    4runningMan

4runningMan New Member

Member:
    New Mexico
    https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/why-arent-we-talking-about-natural-immunity?_amp=true&__twitter_impression=true

23. Sep 18, 2021 at 4:10 AM
    Slopemaster

Member:
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5
    7385 and Gamma Ray like this.
  24. Sep 18, 2021 at 4:40 AM
    Spare Parts

Spare Parts New Member

Member:
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    22 LR ORP
    Sherpa Crestone. 4X Innovations Sliders
    From CDC

E746E166-1485-4114-8255-D2CB9DE2C865.jpg

7385 likes this.
  25. Sep 18, 2021 at 4:59 AM
    GrantA

GrantA Enjoying God’s creation

Member:
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    Fully locked 2020 SR5 Premium
    - GOBI roof rack and ladder - Westcott Design Rock sliders - M.O.R.E. Underbody Skid plates - Dual ARB air compressor & ARB single compressor - LED interior lighting - Ironman 2.0 meter awning and enclosure - Ironman winch with factor55 hook - Ironman foam cell pro suspension - Ironman recovery snatch rope - Ironman recovery traction boards - lilbscustomfab Hybrid Front Bumper - lilbscustomfab BMC - RRW RR7-H Hybrid Beadlock wheels - Nitto Trail Grapplers 285/75/17 M/T - 4.88 gears - ARB front air locker - ARB rear air locker - Hi-lift jack & mount - Sony aftermarket speakers - LASFIT External LED Light Conversion - Center console organizer - Glovebox organizer - ICS phone Mount holder - C4 rear bumper with dual swing arms - C4 gas skid plate - C4 rear diff skid plates
    Yes but is there any data points on people that have natural immunity from previously being infected with Covid? As I stated before immunity is 2 parts (natural and vaccinated). The concern should be for those that have NEVER had Covid. In this case the vaccine is a great option (that is what I chose). However, my mom already got Covid and now has natural immunity. Case studies show that people who already had Covid are less likely to see that hospital than those with vaccine treatments. So I think it is pointless for the previously infected and recovered individuals to get vaccinated than it is for people who have never been infected. But again as I stated before I am not a doctor. Just a person who tries to think logically at data-points and make a decision for myself. Since I wasn’t previously infected the vaccine route made sense. But had I previously been infected I wouldn’t want the vaccine.

2Toys likes this.
  26. Sep 18, 2021 at 5:03 AM
    Spare Parts

Spare Parts New Member

Member:
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    22 LR ORP
    I just wish they would stop blaming just the unvaccinated for the continued spread. At this point, if your not vaccinated, you should know the risk. It’s the vaccinated folks who are the unknown “break thru” cases that concern me. How many asymptotic folks are getting tested regularly? A lot of the break thru cases are only being found because of required testing for something special. Twice that I am aware of I have been a close contact since being vaccinated, both times my school system told me to carry on, cause your vaccinated you have nothing to worry about. I think that is a bad approach. My understanding is we got a vaccine to teach or prime our system to recognize the virus and fight it. So, that means we can catch it, and how well our body reacts determines your viral load.

Moon Landing and brownersd like this.
  27. Sep 18, 2021 at 5:05 AM
    Beachguy

Beachguy Normal turned up too loud

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2021 SR5 Premium
    “Case studies show that people who already had Covid are less likely to see that hospital than those with vaccine treatments.“

Could you please provide links to these case studies? Not that I don’t believe you, I’m just interested in seeing real, peer reviewed data instead of all the bullshit the politicians on both sides are spewing.

7385 likes this.
  28. Sep 18, 2021 at 5:06 AM
    Spare Parts

Spare Parts New Member

Member:
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    22 LR ORP
    That post was in response to the virus don’t get stronger when they mutate statement.

On natural immunity, after my wife tested positive (I was sick but tested negative) we were told 6 months I believe. Then it fades, just like the vaccine seems to be.

29. Sep 18, 2021 at 6:32 AM
    Sandbuster

Sandbuster Breaking Wind

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Central Florida
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Offroad
    Power Commander, LED lights upgrade, Eibach Pro Truck Series suspension upgrade (front & rear), Airbags (rear), dash integrated trailer brake control, Body Armor front bumper, Smittybilt 10K winch
    Usually on such topics as this thread has embraced I'll soon lose interest (due to passions getting out of control), but what we have here, which has been previously stated, is a collection of statements that are of pro, con, & neutral bias that have been presented without the typical hype found in every kind of media imaginable. It has been refreshing so far to read what you all have to say - and you all have said it so well. What I'm trying to spit out is, thanks for your thoughts on a topic that usually is accompanied by explosive rhetoric - thanks for staying civil and backing up your arguments with links to sources that support what you say. Well done my friends!

30. Sep 18, 2021 at 6:57 AM
    Spare Parts

Spare Parts New Member

Member:
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    22 LR ORP
    Now how can we get the rest of our country/world to do the same. A pipe dream I know, but one can dream right.

nimby likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top