1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Moisture in headlights

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by jayb52, Jun 30, 2020.

1. Jun 30, 2020 at 7:34 AM
    jayb52

jayb52 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road
    Hey all, just bought my TRD offroad. So far tinted windows and blacked out the emblems. Next up is new headlights. I've read several posts where people are experiencing moisture in the lights after a HID install. The truck has less than 1000 miles on it so Im not looking to mess anything up. Is there anything to take into consideration before doing this mod to prevent moisture?

Im looking function first so hoping to go with a color as close to 4300 as possible. If not HID was looking at the phillips +100

2. Jun 30, 2020 at 8:04 AM
    jester243

jester243 rabble rabble rabble

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    2016 4Runner Trail Premium w/ KDSS
    i did mine a while ago and i haven't had any issues so far. I over drilled one of the dust caps but I just put some sealant around the grommit and so far so good. If i every get bothered by it a dust cap is something in the area of like $15.

3. Jun 30, 2020 at 9:06 AM
    Snickel Fritz

Snickel Fritz This member likes turtles.

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    West Texas
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD ORP - Silver
    FN Konig Six Shooters+Cooper AT3 4S 255/75/17 Artec Full Aluminum Skidplates Kenwood DNX996XR RAV4 heated blind spot mirrors OEM Blackout Edition LED fogs Buncha sheepskin stuff Not installed... yet: Artec Sliders Hefty Fab Hybrid front bumper Thinkware U1000 DC (benched) Renogy DCC50S (benched)
    There are quite a few headlight threads, but as a cautious person I suggest either the Phillips you mentioned or trimming a set of H9 halogens that do not have glare caps at the tips. I've done both, and the H9s are pretty nice. Phillips +100s were little brighter and had better saturation over stock, but didn't really make me feel safe enough. The Hella H9 bulbs have been a bigger leap forward from the Phillips, than the Phillips were from stock. I especially like that they are still a softer white, with a tinge of amber to them to help with eye fatigue on long trips. I'm going to be installing new fog lights on a bumper soon, which are supposed to match well with this color.
    Whatever you do though, don't just slap in HIDs or LEDs. You don't want the headaches that others have had, so read through the stickied lighting thread. Some swear by them, but so do all the jerks that blind everyone while swearing that they don't. It takes a keen interest in doing it properly, to do those bulbs properly.
    Most will not work well at all in a 4Runner projector housing, because they were designed for halogen. It's easy to capture and redirect light from halogen bulbs because there are no obstacles to block the light cast from the glowing filament. That glowing filament is also very very tiny, casting light out in all directions with mostly uniform intensity.
    HIDs have a little bit of material in the way of an otherwise very similar pattern, but are of course much brighter and hotter, depending on what you buy. The issue with HIDs is that they put waaay too much light into the edges of the pattern, not just in front of you. So, even if you have your headlights aimed lower than spec, the little bit of bleed will still pack too much punch for oncoming drivers, and you'll be less safe than with stock because you had to adjust your whole beam downwards. In other vehicles which are made for HIDs, the intensity is considered when designing the upper cutoff and bleed, effectively dimming the light that passes through that edge.
    LEDs are a whole other issue. Remember how I mentioned the point from which light emits being a factor? It means that putting any LED into any halogen spot anywhere on the car can lead to disappointment. My backup bulbs were too dim for my new screen, so I went LED thinking that the forums wouldn't lie... they lied. I went from a broad, dim pattern that worked to a few slivers of ugly, dim bluish light that didn't. I am on another LED set which are alright, but soon I'm going to the infrared halogens back there.
    In a low beam projector housing, most people get very poor performance from any LED. They can flicker, they never completely fill the pattern due to the thick post they are built on causing weird shadows, they are often noisy with cooling fans on them, if they don't have them they can overheat, they don't often fit flush into the housing, and they usually require you to either remove or cut the dust caps.

Welcome to the forum, now get crackin on those books :thumbsup:

4. Jun 30, 2020 at 10:28 AM
    jayb52

jayb52 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road
    Which Hella H9 are you running?

5. Jun 30, 2020 at 10:42 AM
    Snickel Fritz

Snickel Fritz This member likes turtles.

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    West Texas
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD ORP - Silver
    FN Konig Six Shooters+Cooper AT3 4S 255/75/17 Artec Full Aluminum Skidplates Kenwood DNX996XR RAV4 heated blind spot mirrors OEM Blackout Edition LED fogs Buncha sheepskin stuff Not installed... yet: Artec Sliders Hefty Fab Hybrid front bumper Thinkware U1000 DC (benched) Renogy DCC50S (benched)
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B078SGSMDS?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

Had them in since February, so can't speak to longevity yet but the Phillips lasted about 1.5 years with a lot of night driving.
    You will have to snip one of the metal locking tabs on the base, and the plastic fin on the inside of the bulb's connector. A small flush cutter works well for this, though I had to improvise.

6. Jul 8, 2020 at 6:34 AM
    jayb52

jayb52 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road
    I went with the Hella H9 2.0 low beams. Took about 5 minutes to mod the bulb. The light is much whiter on the garage wall. Havent driven at night yet for the true test.

Snickel Fritz likes this.
  7. Jul 8, 2020 at 2:30 PM
    ForRun

ForRun 4Runner

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 orp
    When I ran HID I just used silicone on the gromet. Probably not needed but I never had moisture.

jester243 likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top