1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Metal Popping Noise from Sunroof/Roof/B Pillar

Discussion in 'General 4Runner Talk' started by GaoKS, Dec 8, 2020.

1. Dec 8, 2020 at 3:58 PM
    GaoKS

GaoKS [OP] New Member

Member:
    Midwest
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRDORP
    Hi everyone! New to the forum. Previously owned a 2020 TRDORP and just picked up a 2021 TRDORP in MG. Loving the truck so far but with 180 miles on it I’ve got an interesting noise I want to see if anyone else has experienced.

While going over bumps or accelerating a turn ie. chassis flex, I am experiencing a metallic pop noise that almost sounds like a beer can opening. The best I can isolate the sound is to the sunroof/roof or High B pillar on the drivers side. Has anyone else experienced this at all? Any ideas?

Doesn’t sound like a suspension noise.. that I’ve ever experienced and sounds like it’s definitely coming from above my head. We’re in the process of moving, so I’ll stop at dealer when I get settled but I don’t ever have my fingers crossed with dealers and NVH concerns and would honestly prefer to keep my vehicle out of their hands.

Thanks in advance all!

2. Dec 8, 2020 at 4:08 PM
    GaoKS

GaoKS [OP] New Member

Member:
    Midwest
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRDORP
    Mods - just realized this is posted this in general vs. 5th gen.. please feel free to move. Apologies!

3. Dec 24, 2020 at 7:54 PM
    mcat707

mcat707 MURDERED TRD

Member:
    NOR*CAL - Solano County
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRDPro - Attitude Black Metallic 218
    From what I’ve heard its a known annoyance issue on other Toyota models as well. Nothing mechanically wrong but more of an annoyance. Pain in the ass fix is to tear off the headliner and install some spacers in the sunroof working bits to get rid of the noise, also expensive. The Car Care Nut on YouTube describes this Toyota noise issue in one of his videos, just can’t remember which one.

4. Dec 24, 2020 at 8:25 PM
    GaoKS

GaoKS [OP] New Member

Member:
    Midwest
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRDORP
    Thanks mcat. In the research I did I saw that people on the Camry forums complained about similar noises. I figured any relevant fix would result in a headliner pull which I’m not interested in doing. And for damn sure not dropping it off at the dealership unless I have to. Thanks again

5. Feb 19, 2021 at 10:04 AM
    Mech-E

Mech-E New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD Pro MGM
    ok. So, reviving this thread because I have the exact same thing occurring in my now 150mile Pro. Truck is completely silent except this noise and the baby seat lol.

Too bad this dude isn't around anymore to ask what the results of his dealer trip were.

Has anybody else had this clunk and had it corrected? I've read all the threads about rubber tubing on the rail, a custom modified plastic washer, etc. but wtf?

6. Feb 19, 2021 at 10:15 AM
    GaoKS

GaoKS [OP] New Member

Member:
    Midwest
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRDORP
    Hey Mech-E if you’re referring to me I’m still around, just lurking. I never did anything regarding this noise and just have learned to live with it. Nothings leaking or appears to be mechanically broken as mentioned by someone else and I’m not keen on a dealer tearing my headliner out and making a repair. Every surgery leaves a scar..

7. Feb 19, 2021 at 10:23 AM
    Mech-E

Mech-E New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD Pro MGM
    Oh hey GaoKS thanks for replying. Yes, I was referring to your plight mentioned above.

That kinda sucks though, right? Still popping away? Did you ever visit the dealer and get their opinion on options? I do agree that tearing into the liner, removing shit, etc. will likely affect your perception of the vehicle from that point forward and make you wonder if anything else was affected along the way but there is NO way I am living with this.

8. Feb 19, 2021 at 10:37 AM
    GaoKS

GaoKS [OP] New Member

Member:
    Midwest
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRDORP
    Yes.. still popping away. Although I do feel like it’s less frequent than it used to be. Either that or I’ve grown to ignore it. Different tolerances for different people. I also had the dreaded windshield tapping from the black plastic squares at the base of the windshield and took care of that myself with some felt tape. (Had the same noise on my 2020).

In regards to visiting the dealership.. I did not. I have experience with dealership service being on the inside and am
    confident any diagnosis, even prior to repair, will be more invasive than is worth it to me, without personally knowing the tech - and I don’t locally to me. Again, I’m probably in the minority here but am very picky. If you do take it in, I’d be curious what the remedy or diagnosis is.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2021
  9. Feb 19, 2021 at 10:49 AM
    Mech-E

Mech-E New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD Pro MGM
    Well, thank you sir for your replies. I am VERY much like you in all regards except for my tolerance to this type of noise. It's invasive. It haunts me haha. Family schedules have not aligned well enough for me to drive the wife around while she hunts.

I, for sure, will let you all know what the scoop is. I have a call into the service manager at the place I purchased and awaiting a return call. I do have an appointment this coming Tuesday for some EXPEL at the same place, so finger's crossed I can work this into the visit if required.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2021
    GaoKS[OP] likes this.
  10. Feb 19, 2021 at 10:53 AM
    GaoKS

GaoKS [OP] New Member

Member:
    Midwest
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRDORP
    I hear you and good luck! Stay safe.

Mech-E[QUOTED] likes this.
  11. Feb 19, 2021 at 11:22 AM
    Jynarik

Jynarik I like boobies

Member:
    Austin Texas
    Vehicle:
    2019 trd pro voodoo

Be a little more dramatic, why don’t you?

12. Feb 19, 2021 at 12:08 PM
    Mech-E

Mech-E New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD Pro MGM
    HAHA It sounded better saying it in my head. But thanks for your comment, as useless as it was.

DGP1961 likes this.
  13. Feb 24, 2021 at 12:18 PM
    Mech-E

Mech-E New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD Pro MGM
    Update:

Visited dealer to get the EXPEL installed on the front clip (of course they didn't clean the hood well enough before installing...but that's another story) and have them investigate the clunk. Immediately upon the test drive with the Service Manager and Lead Tech they could clearly hear the noise. The cool part here is that they were super interested in fixing it because as they said they've "never heard this from a 4runner. Camry and Avalon, yes...but not 4runner". This made me happy to hear as they seemed invested. Also noting that the truck is brand friggin' new, hell yeah they should be!

Fast forward to this morning with the Lead tech running the show (didn't want to touch the interior yesterday due to being in dirty shop clothes with typical hands of a working tech) and his call was obviously to drop the liner. Now as noted above I was hesitant, but wtf. Go for it. As an aside, Toyota Connect services were going crazy with notifications to my phone all day and I could see the test drives occurring. Driver Score 63 on those drives!

Toyota Service Phone Line told them to check the sunroof cassette mounting bolts for proper torque. Since these need to be done in a specific order, it is possible that something was missed. Well, they were right. Bolts #1 and 2 in the sequence are the two in the middle of the rails on each side. You could imagine the assembly person finger-tightening #1 while #2 is installed and then the cassette is centered followed by installing and torquing the remaining screws in the sequence. The assembler never torqued bolt #1 which is of course right above the drivers head! All bolts removed at this point and, following the proper torque sequence, re-torqued to spec. With liner still out, test drive #2 of day went off without a hitch and without any noise! Liner reinstalled (fingers crossed I don't find any damage) and sent to the wash.

I will be picking it up tomorrow after the PPF is redone on the hood and will update. The Tech recorded video and took pictures along the way to update Toyota North America to allow them to keep an eye on this going forward. No TSB until it becomes an epidemic.

GaoKS[OP] likes this.
  14. Feb 24, 2021 at 1:12 PM
    GaoKS

GaoKS [OP] New Member

Member:
    Midwest
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRDORP
    I figured they’d definitely drop the headliner. I’m glad to hear they found the issue and got it addressed. Fingers crossed for you the noise is gone and interior looks as it should. Please report back. What is interesting around the whole ordeal is that the fix for Camrys/Avalon/GS350 for the same issue was installing a shim and had nothing to do with bolt torque. Were you having any water ingress issues or just popping? I am curious when you pick it up what the RO says in terms of the customer facing narration. Either way.. congrats again!!

Mech-E[QUOTED] likes this.
  15. Feb 24, 2021 at 1:22 PM
    Mech-E

Mech-E New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD Pro MGM
    Presumably, and one would have to HOPE is the case, Toyota has addressed the manufacturing tolerances but who the hell knows. I agree that shims would've been what i thought based on those same threads you mention. They made a felt shim kit and those little triangles for something! And yes, fingers will be crossed that they didn't stress a clip, crack a clip, break a clip, etc. etc. etc. Hopefully they have all the proper panel tools for this process as there are some tricky ones as I've found in my research (the rear clips with the fork tool come to mind).

And no, there was no water ingress (to the cabin anyway), just the popping.

Will update with GaoKS paperwork request and my final (hopefully :popcorn:) thoughts.

GaoKS[OP] likes this.
  16. Feb 25, 2021 at 2:13 PM
    Mech-E

Mech-E New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD Pro MGM
    Picked up the truck and the noise is indeed gone. Other than a few dirty finger prints on the liner and sunroof visor, a poorly reinstalled driver side rear door gasket (easily resolved in my garage), and a scratch in the passenger side lower b-pillar cover all seems good for now.

Here is what the paperwork says:

"Confirmed concern with customer on a road test. Road tested vehicle and isolated noise to sliding roof assembly area. Created TAS case number 210540035 and contacted, was advised to remove headliner assembly and inspect all nuts and bolts for correct torque. Removed all necessary components outlined in repair procedure to remove headliner. Recorded noise made from sliding roof area while manually flexing components to cause noise, attached to TAS case. Checked torque of all nuts and bolts and found the closest nut to where the noise was originating to be very loose. Got three (3) turns out of torque wrench before reaching spec of 49 in/lbs. Road tested vehicle without headliner and found that noise has been corrected. Installed all removed components and road tested, confirmed repair."

So, there ya go.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2021
    GaoKS[OP] likes this.
  17. Feb 25, 2021 at 2:24 PM
    GaoKS

GaoKS [OP] New Member

Member:
    Midwest
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRDORP
    Great to hear it’s fixed and the damage was minimal! Thanks for sharing the notes. Sounds like the dealership and tech did a great job documenting for any one who has a similar concern in the future.

18. Feb 25, 2021 at 4:14 PM
    Mech-E

Mech-E New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD Pro MGM
    yes, they did a great job with minimal side effects....until I tried Sirius...and got a "check antenna" message on the head unit. FML.

Does Toyota offer "frequent visitor miles" lol. Tech probably forgot to reconnect something under the liner and/or trim pieces. Guess I'm in for round 2 of liner and trim removal. Cursed, I say!

meowKittieh likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top