1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Maintenance light flashing six times slowly please help

Discussion in '4th Gen 4Runners (2003-2009)' started by Jfasig, Jul 13, 2017.

1. Jul 13, 2017 at 12:12 PM
    Jfasig

Jfasig [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Vehicle:
    2005 Toyota forerunner V6 SR5
    2005 forerunner and it's the maintenance light is flashing six times

2. Jul 14, 2017 at 8:17 AM
    Bob

Bob Member Staff Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    SoCal
    That means you're approaching your oil change time. Once the maint light stays on, then you've hit the mileage interval where you need an oil change.

4RunningNashville and jester243 like this.
  3. Jul 14, 2017 at 1:44 PM
    MP21

MP21 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1998 T4R 4x4 V-6 & 2008 T4R 4x4 V-8 & 2004 T4R 4x4 V-8 & 11 Sequoia Platinum
    98 T4R 2" lift 235/85r16 Hankook Dynapro M/T 07 T4R 3" ToyTech Lift with Bilstein 5100 front and rear 255/70R18 BFG A/T Ko2 JBA uppers 04 T4R 4x4 V-8 Currently stock
    F.N.G. LOL We are always here to help.

4. Mar 23, 2023 at 7:21 PM
    Less

Less New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Thurman
    Vehicle:
    2008 Black 4Runner
    I just bought a 2005 Toyota 4Runner. It was a one owner with 98,000 miles on it. The maintenance light has just started flashing when I first start it. The guy I bought it from was raised in India and is an Indian who came to the U.S. became a doctor. When I ask about the oil change intervals on it. He really had no other answer other than he used a synthetic oil.

Almost backed out buying it because he couldn’t give me an answer. The 4Runner’s appeared very well kept. Was garage kept. Very minimum rust if really any outside of what you might expect for a 17 year old vehicle. The man was really proud of it. Can’t remember the name of his religion but it’s beliefs was similar to Muslim/Budist. Read about it and one thing that the religion really put a lot of emphasis in was honesty. So as much as he loved the car and his religion I don’t think he would have intentionally not taken good care of it. Even though he seemed to have lived in the U.S. for a good portion of his life. He couldn’t speak English like someone who has lived in the U.S there whole life. Maybe he had the services done some where. Although they didn’t show up on the Car Fax. I do think there were a couple Oil changes that was on the fax.

So I am going to change the oil myself and was wondering if the maintenance light will reset itself or if there is something I will have to do to reset it ?

And from what I have researched I guess I need to buy the oil and filters from a Toyota dealership ? I have the owners manual that came with it.

Thanks if there is any advice you have as to resetting the maintenance light and oil/ filters you recommend I would appreciate it.

5. Mar 23, 2023 at 7:55 PM
    AuSeeker

AuSeeker New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2004 Limited
    How to reset the "Maint" light is in the owner's manual, it should be on page 151, but here's a copy and paste from the manual on how to do it.....

"(h) Engine Oil Replacement Reminder Light (for vehicles sold in U.S.A.) This light acts as a reminder to replace the engine oil. This light will come on when the ignition key is turned to “ON” and will go off after about a few seconds. When you drive for about 7200 km (4500 miles) after the engine oil replacement, this light illuminates for about 3 seconds and then flashes for about 12 seconds with the ignition key turned to the “ON” position. If you continue driving without the engine oil replacement, and if the driving range exceeds 8000 km (5000 miles), the light will come on after the ignition key is turned to the “ON” position. The light will remain on thereafter. If the light is flashing, we recommend that you replace the engine oil at an early opportunity depending on the driving and road condition. If the light comes on, replace it as soon as possible. You need to reset the light after the engine oil replacement. Reset the light by following the procedure below: 1. Turn the ignition key to the “ACC” or “LOCK” position with the odometer reading shown. (For details, see “Odometer and two trip meters” on page 144 in this Section.) 2. Turn the ignition key to the “ON” position while holding down the trip meter reset button. Hold down the button until the light goes off. Before the light goes off, it illuminates for 3 seconds, flashes for 2 seconds and illuminates for 1 second. If the system fails to reset, the light will remain flashing."

6. Mar 23, 2023 at 8:01 PM
    xtremewlr

xtremewlr New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Todd
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2003 4Runner V8 Limited 4WD
    Lots with more in the works
    Toyota 90915-YZZD3 for the filters. You can buy them on Amazon in a 10 pack.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00A1X9IU4

For the oil, use whatever synthetic tickles your fancy. I've used Shell Rotella T6 and am currently running Mobil1 5w30 Truck synthetic with 6k mile OCIs. Over 330k miles and still running strong.

Products Discussed in

To Top