1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Maintenance didn't get too complicated to DIY, companies started seeing us as idiots

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Trekker, Mar 1, 2024.

1. Mar 1, 2024 at 1:48 AM
    Trekker

Trekker [OP] Regular Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1997 3rz 5spd
    I was recently looking through my Honda XL owners manual, and I really appreciated how back then they didn't just avoid discouraging DIY maintenance, but they facilitated it by providing information and actual tools. Like step by step guidance on doing valve clearance and the specs, how to adjust the timing chain.

Motorcycles are interesting, because they still sell bikes using technology from 50 years ago, so if a company no longer includes information in the manual they once did, it's not because it got too complicated to work on. So the XL very close modern equivalent is the XR150L, it has a similar top speed, uses a carburetor, only has single overhead cam, and is the the same class.

So did they include the information in my XL manual? Fuck no! In fact, they view Americans as too stupid to even be deserving a tool kit like they get in the Philippines. There isn't even information about the most basic and necessary of things like spark plugs... on a carbureted engine. Valve clearance despite using the same system they did 50 years ago is not mentioned in all markets. They'll recycle word for word the passage about obeying no trespassing signs for 50 years, but not the useful maintenance stuff.

If anyone tries to defend these companies by saying "they don't make things user serviceable because it got too complicated", point to this. See for yourself. XL100S vs XR150L owner manuals. Money has a lot to do with it too.

2. Apr 4, 2024 at 8:57 AM
    whippersnapper02

whippersnapper02 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Christian
    Vehicle:
    2019 4Runner TRD Offroad Premium
    I see people often complain about needed to remove the skid on the Runner when changing the oil like if it requires you to solve the theory of relativity.

steelevo and RumHamRunner73 like this.
  3. Apr 4, 2024 at 9:32 AM
    EC15

EC15 ...

Member:
    Seeing us as idiots? Can't really blame them. It's only getting worse.
    Have your seen the new threads everyday on the same topics over and over again?
    How can someone be expected to work on valve clearance properly if they can't figure out how to search on the internet or wants others to do the homework for them? You know, the "link please" crowd.

It's probably the lawyer happy country we live in. Manufacturers just wants to cover their ass.

4. Apr 4, 2024 at 9:55 AM
    Rob41

Rob41 Veteran

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Northern Michigan
    Vehicle:
    2023 Supercharged 4Runner TRD
    Magnuson Supercharger, CSF Performance Radiator, Eibach Pro-Truck Series 2R suspension, SCS Ray10 Bronze Wheels, Pedal Monster, TRD Pro Grill, TRD Pro Roof Rack
    Fewer Americans are as capable of working on things than they were 40-50 years ago. There were always people who couldn't do their own wrenching but there were also much higher percentages of people that could tear down an engine and rebuild it. I am one of the latter. That's why on my 4Runner I did the supercharger install, lift and other things aside from the window tinting. I see people all the time here asking questions about doing a particular job who I already know are in way over their head. Wanting to learn is great as we all started somewhere, but more experience goes a long way. I started before my teens. IMO, some of the people asking questions need a mentor. Some projects are easier to learn than others.

Another issue at hand is the complexity of the new vehicles compared to years ago. One example that comes up here frequently is the nanny sensors aren't working after I installed my bumper. This is a pretty easy thing to correct if you have a basic aptitude for this stuff. I'm honestly taken aback by the sheer volume of people getting lift kits and other accessories installed by "installers". Everyone wants to modify their vehicle but then they are at a loss when an issue arises be it in front of the mall or way out on a trail. No problem though, as long as they have the requisite gas cans, axe, high lift jack, traction boards, RTT, and ladder mounted in the accepted locations on the outside of their rig, lol

Legal issues may be a part of it but I think the bigger issue is how the percentage of people competent to perform their own work today is far, far lower than in years past.

steelevo likes this.
  5. Apr 5, 2024 at 8:29 AM
    steelevo

steelevo Not so new anymore...

Member:
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    2023 4Runner TRD Pro Solar Octane
    @Rob41 and @whippersnapper02 summed it all up. Manufacturers are concerned about the sue happy Americans. Also, with all of the new sensors introduced, the car will throw error codes if something isn’t done right.

And to be honest, look at the newest generation of humans, they are mostly entitled idiots. If it doesn’t do something on social media for them, they’re not interested.

Rob41 and whippersnapper02 like this.
  6. Apr 5, 2024 at 8:33 AM
    whippersnapper02

whippersnapper02 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Christian
    Vehicle:
    2019 4Runner TRD Offroad Premium
    What's the joke I saw?

Owner's manuals used to tell you how to adjust valves but now they tell you not to drink the battery acid. :goingcrazy:

steelevo and Rob41 like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top