1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Maine North Woods access - ?

Discussion in 'North East U.S.' started by MeefZah, Apr 16, 2024.

1. Apr 16, 2024 at 7:15 PM
    MeefZah

MeefZah [OP] ------------

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Lexington, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    '24 ORP
    My wife and I are taking a couple of weeks in May 24 and going up to Maine, lots of adventuring on the way and then the only real "destination" in Maine is Acadia NP. I want to do a slow loop back, and I see that NW Maine / "North Woods" area has a metric shit ton of what appear to be private, gated logging roads but with certain public access being granted for through travel.

It's difficult to ascertain by looking at maps what is gated restricted and what is gated public access. Does anyone have firsthand information, or a solid link to the roads that are accessible for through travel? A lot of the gates are like 2/3 of the way up a road so turning around repeatedly would be a time and fuel consuming process.

My loose plan is heading north on US 1 all the way up, hooking west on 161, and then beginning to explore south through the Allagash Wilderness Waterway area and ultimately wind up around Greenville / Moosehead Lake.

What is the renegade camping situation in there?

Thanks!

2. Apr 26, 2024 at 7:10 AM
    MEski4x4

MEski4x4 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2024 TRD Pro
    MeefZah[OP] likes this.
  3. Apr 26, 2024 at 9:18 AM
    MeefZah

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Lexington, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    '24 ORP
    Thanks. Yeah, I was hoping for a more boots on the ground assessment but I'll check that out.

4. Apr 26, 2024 at 9:30 AM
    Mass4runner

Mass4runner New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD ORP
    I have nothing specific but everytime I’ve been up that way I have never had a problem finding open trails.

5. Apr 26, 2024 at 9:41 AM
    LCJ77

LCJ77 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Gilbertsville,Pa.
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD Pro Ice Cap
    Ceramic Tint, D/S grab Handle, waiting for Brite Box Anytime, may add Raptor lights
    My cousin owns Wilson's on Moosehead Lake, check it out. Their son runs it now & his sister owned Flatlanders Restaurant in Greenville, Never been there though. Last time we went my wife wanted to go East to Bar harbor. I grew up in N. Deering, Me. Love it up there but housing is wicked $$$$. Enjoy!! If you have time & haven't been got to Mt Washington. we took the cog vs driving. We had unlimited visibility that day. Mt Washington resort has the best pancakes I have ever had. I actually had them 2 days in row! Demilo's on the water in Portland is an old cargo ship converted to a restaurant Italian.

6. Apr 26, 2024 at 11:25 AM
    MeefZah

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Lexington, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    '24 ORP
    Yeah there's only three things I've scheduled: Statute of Liberty, Cog RR, and Acadia NP. The rest is all spontaneous with renegade camping. I'll check your family's place out and probably those pancakes too!! Thanks.

LCJ77[QUOTED] likes this.
To Top