1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Lunar Rock Thread

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by YetiMtnBkr, Feb 8, 2023.

1. Jun 9, 2023 at 9:41 AM
    backcountryj

backcountryj Pending Approval

Member:
    Thanks. It’s 20% on the front driver/passenger, 35% all the way back and 50% on the sunroof. It’s ceramic to cut down on the UV. It’s a pretty close match from the front to back over the rear factory tinted glass.

The picture makes it look darker than it really is, but I’m pretty happy with the outcome.

2. Jun 9, 2023 at 9:51 AM
    4RunninSH

4RunninSH New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Vehicle:
    2022 Lunar Rock 4R TRD ORP
    Awesome. Thanks for the info. And visibility at night / low light is still good with that tint level?

3. Jun 9, 2023 at 10:27 AM
    backcountryj

Member:
    Honestly I can’t comment on that just yet. We just had the tint installed yesterday and I haven’t driven the vehicle since then. It’s my wife’s rig.

I have the same % tint on my Tacoma and a camper shell that has a tinted rear glass as well. For me it’s perfect. Not too dark to impact visibilty, but still cuts down on headlights in my rear view mirror.

Admittedly I am pretty light sensitive. If I’m outside during the day I’m always wearing sunglasses and I keep my interior lights on the lowest power setting. Hell I can’t get the audio screen dim enough to my liking without turning the whole thing off. Absolutely hate when I’m in reverse as the camera setting is so F*ing bright. Destroys your night vision.

4RunninSH[QUOTED] likes this.
  4. Jun 9, 2023 at 5:31 PM
    Idayota

Idayota New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2023 OR - Lunar Rock
    Suspension: Dobinsons IMS Struts + Springs. 2.5" front and 2.0" rear Tires: 255/80/17 Toyo Open Country A/T3 E Load
    Dobinsons IMS 2.5”/2.0” with new UCAs finally installed. Also did a panhard correction kit.

Need to get my new tire appointment scheduled now. Delaying because I’m trying to decide between 285s and 275s…leaning towards 275.

00BAEE89-30C7-463A-AC6F-C37F9E2B3DF1.jpg

Last edited: Jun 9, 2023
  5. Jun 9, 2023 at 5:45 PM
    TrailSpecial22

TrailSpecial22 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    PA
    Vehicle:
    2022 Trail Special Edition Lunar Rock
    2” lift Bilstein 6112 w/600 lb coils front, 1.5” lift Eibach T13 coils rear, Bilstein 5100 rear shocks, TRD skidplate, TRD stainless catback w/black TRD side exhaust, TRD shifter handle, Weathertech bug deflector, 20% tint front, LED door bulbs, 285/70/17 Falken WP AT3, Energy Suspension front bumpstops, SSO Slimline Bumper w/ Badland Shackles, Durobumps 4.25” rear
    Looking good! Go with 285s

71F7E02B-1103-4B93-AC28-1F9CACA371AB.jpg

6. Jun 9, 2023 at 6:16 PM
    RusPro17

RusPro17 Back home again!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    Pa.
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD Pro Solar Octane
    SCS wheels and Westcott lift
    Looks awesome. Add some SCS wheels and you will get more poke. Had them on my 2020 Pro with 285’s.

7. Jun 11, 2023 at 10:39 AM
    captainSteve

captainSteve 23 Lunar Rock ORP

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Toledo, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2023 Lunar rock ORP
    Nice man, and yeah on the silver valances looking really really good and painted well, I'd hate to discard them, but yeah I want to add a bunch of black stuff as well.

Got a Technical/opinion question on your tint, you mentioned on the next page of this thread about going %35 on the rear's and %20 on the fronts. I did my fronts at %20 as well(pic attached below) and will do the rears/backwindow with either %35 or %50 in a couple months before my vacation I like to sleep in the back in my SUV's so its for security and looks of course.

question is, how is the %35 for driving at night? I know how my %20 front windows feel and look at night, I usually roll down the window when turning into traffic on a unlit intersection. too many idiots driving with no lights and of course pedestrians doing whatever and stuff. but yeah adding %35 tint over the factory %28 already tinted glass takes it too like under %10 of light getting in. that said safety wise those rears don't need much looking out at night for safety. second question is would you stick with the %35 or go with %50 for those rears?
    Can you post a pic from the inside looking out in daytime with those two tints %20 front and %35 over factory tint? no biggie if you can't

Cheers Steve

untitled-3231-Edit.jpg

8. Jun 11, 2023 at 10:46 AM
    captainSteve

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Toledo, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2023 Lunar rock ORP
    This week I added the Diode dynamics SS3 pro fogs with the backlit feature. love how the backlight matches with my stock side markers, fyi that where I tapped mine too. and the SS3 pro's light up the frekin night, I aimed them all the way down and they still kind've overpower the stock low beams but in a good way, I'm lighting up the ditches bigtime now, which is what I needed for the forest drives. drove a 1.5hr yesterday morning in dark and passed tons of peeps, did not get flashed.

untitled-5002.jpg
    untitled-5007.jpg
    untitled-5016.jpg

9. Jun 12, 2023 at 6:00 AM
    YetiMtnBkr

YetiMtnBkr [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Frederick, MD
    Vehicle:
    2021 LR Pro
    None
    I have not come across any, but I have not searched for any either! I doubt it though, I have been a member for a little over two years and have not found any MTB specific threads. There is a bike rack thread. I originally wanted a Tacoma and there is a much larger base of outdoor enthusiasts among the Taco crowd I believe with a much broader range of threads for specific activities.

Where do you live and ride? I am in MD and have some really good technical and XC trails nearby. I did a road trip out west last Fall to Grand Junction and Moab and it was a blast. Planning to hit the Boise and Bend area this Fall. I am 61 and love mountain biking. Started riding 15 years ago!

dgrenier15 likes this.
  10. Jun 12, 2023 at 7:02 AM
    Spare Parts

Spare Parts New Member

Member:
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    22 LR ORP
    Sherpa Crestone. 4X Innovations Sliders
  11. Jun 12, 2023 at 7:53 AM
    harperspop

harperspop New Member

Member:
    Sounds like a great trip you have planned. Mountain biking is truly a life long sport.

Sadly, I broke some ribs this weekend out on the trails and will be off the bike for awhile.

12. Jun 12, 2023 at 9:06 AM
    backcountryj

Member:
    I’ll have to get back to you on the pics, and I haven’t driven the 4Runner at night. I’m typically only behind the wheel of that rig a couple times on the weekends.

My Tacoma has the same percentage tint front/rear, and I would assume the same level of factory tint. The rear most window of my camper shell is also tinted and I personally do not find my rear vision is impaired. In pouring rain it does become awful. But I think the tint isn’t doing any more harm than the rain and I tend to rely on side mirrors over my rear view mirror anyway.

I wouldn’t hesitate to do the same percent tint again on either vehicle.
    Thanks for the reply. I too searched prior to asking. Only found the rack thread you mentioned.

I’m new here, but I’ve been around for a while on the sister Tacoma World forum. There’s a good bit of cross pollination with members. Here’s a bike thread we have over there. Pretty active and not at all exclusive to Tacoma, or even Toyota owners for that matter.
    https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/all-things-bikes-and-tacos-and-now-vans.445155/

That road trip sounds epic! As does your upcoming adventure. Idaho is a hidden (becoming not so hidden sadly) gem of many outdoor activities.

I’m in the southeast. South metro Atlanta more specifically. Nothing noteworthy in my area for MTB, so I have to travel to get the goods. My folks live in northeast Georgia so I have ample justification for trips to WNC for some Pisgah gnar. As my kids get older I’d like to start including some trips out west to ride.

13. Jun 12, 2023 at 9:13 AM
    dgrenier15

dgrenier15 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dayne
    Oklahoma
    Vehicle:
    2022 AG TRD ORP
    Does this mean we need to start one?! I told my wife you can take my fly fishing hobby away, but I will never give up mountain biking. It's not a good ride if you don't come back with just a little bit of blood!

14. Jun 12, 2023 at 10:26 AM
    YetiMtnBkr

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Frederick, MD
    Vehicle:
    2021 LR Pro
    None
    Sorry to hear that! Definitely some risk involved with mountain biking be it going fast on a XC trail or bouncing through rock gardens and gnarly descents on a technical trail. I am too old and started too late to do drops and jumps! But still try to hit it hard otherwise! I hope you are able to mend fast and get back after it!

Where do you ride and what happened?

We need to start a mountain bike thread. I started this Lunar Rock thread!

harperspop[QUOTED] likes this.
  15. Jun 12, 2023 at 10:27 AM
    captainSteve

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Toledo, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2023 Lunar rock ORP
    Thanks bud yeah, me too I have a m-f daily driver, 4 runner is for weekend and photography trips. but yeah as a landscape and wildlife photographer I'm always getting up at 3am to get to my spots. just want to know if I can see out at night, all I really need is to see headlights, m-f my daily job is a Truck Driver the past 20 years. I drive safely for a living.

but yeah from inside looking out the passenger side window and rear window with all that %35 over factory %28 would be cool. again no biggie if you forget. I'm sure I can get my tint guy who did my front %20 to give me a preview at his shop.
    cheers man
    and cause its a lunar rock thread, here's my shorebird photography accessory, Sea doo GTI couple weekends ago.

future mods Sherpa Crestone roof rack being shipped this week, rims and tires in a couple months and 2 inch lift already ordered. etc, etc. haha

20230506_055448.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 12, 2023
  16. Jun 12, 2023 at 10:43 AM
    backcountryj

Member:
    No worries. I’ll get some pics when I get home. The 4Runner is my wife’s chariot. If I could drive it daily I would, but she veto’s that notion.

Side note, I help build the other brand water scooter for a living (and other big kid toys)….hint, the one that shoots a silly rooster tail :rofl:

17. Jun 12, 2023 at 10:52 AM
    YetiMtnBkr

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Frederick, MD
    Vehicle:
    2021 LR Pro
    None
    Last Fall's trip was fantastic! 20 days from MD thru VA, TN, AR, OK, NM, CO and UT then straight home thru the midwest. I slept in the 4R for 17 of the 20 days. Rode trails in all but OK on the way out. Hooked up with a buddy in Blacksburg, VA (he had a Sprinter van - the mothership). Then hooked up with another buddy from CA in Durango, CO (he was in a mini van). Then hooked up with five buddies that flew into Grand Junction, CO. One of the most fun, liberating trips I have ever done and I have been skiing out west for years.

This year's trip to Boise and Bend will include stops in Northern CO and Northern UT, Jackson Hole, Bozeman and Blacks Hills. Haven't quite ironed out the details. My son will be junior at Montana State in Bozeman this Fall. I have at least three others on board so far. Hopefully it will happen!

I have yet to hit Ashville, NC for riding, I have been meaning to for years - about 7 hours from me. I want to start doing some long weekend trips to Ashville and Roanoke, VA. I have ridden Harrisonburg, VA and up into PA. We have some really good technical riding in the Frederick Watershed, Frederick, MD. North Georgia and TN is a growing the mtn bike scene, plenty of great topography to work with.

Thanks for reaching out and we need to start a 4R MTB thread. I was envious of all the good threads on Tacoma World. I started the Lunar Rock thread!

Last edited: Jun 12, 2023
  18. Jun 12, 2023 at 11:09 AM
    YetiMtnBkr

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Frederick, MD
    Vehicle:
    2021 LR Pro
    None
    For sure! Years ago I was riding in Caanan, WV and asked a Park Ranger if he ever sees any mtn bikers around here and he "Yep! Wet, bloody and muddy!" That would make for a cool t-shirt slogan with a mtn bike dripping in blood, mud and water.

I would not be too upset if I had to sell the 4R, but I would be very upset if I had to give up the mtn bike!

19. Jun 12, 2023 at 11:46 AM
    dgrenier15

dgrenier15 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dayne
    Oklahoma
    Vehicle:
    2022 AG TRD ORP
    My wife has our AG 4R so I am not sure I am qualified to post on this thread - let alone start the MTB thread! ;)

20. Jun 12, 2023 at 3:25 PM
    Philpilsner

Philpilsner New Member

Member:
    From someone who just got 275s on. I like them on my stock suspension without having to deal with a possible BMC.

But if I already had upgraded suspension I would just move forward with 285s so you can have more options. Just as an example, the Falken wildpeak 275 are limited to LT which has a weight of 57 pounds. The 285s come in P and have a weight of 50 pounds.

You just get more options at 285 to choose from.

Idayota[QUOTED] and backcountryj like this.
  21. Jun 12, 2023 at 3:33 PM
    Philpilsner

Philpilsner New Member

Member:
    What matters is that you get ceramic tint. Huge difference in how dark you can go. I did 15% ceramic tint for my front, and 30% (I think) rear overlay to match. I also did 35% windshield and 5% moon roof.

You can easily see very well from the inside. Ceramic tint is incredible, but where it shines is how much heat it blocks. I also have my moon roof "open" all day every day now.

22. Jun 12, 2023 at 4:26 PM
    backcountryj

Member:
    @captainSteve Some interior pics for you.

Fronts with 20%

IMG_2043.jpg IMG_2045.jpg

Rear and back glass with 35% over factory tinted glass.

IMG_2044.jpg IMG_2046.jpg IMG_2047.jpg

23. Jun 12, 2023 at 8:50 PM
    harperspop

harperspop New Member

Member:

Let's start one. At least 3 of us are in here!

i mostly ride in New Mexico. We have good trails, mostly techie and not a ton of flow in around the Albuquerque area. But once you get out of town abit there are some nice flow here and there. I've only been riding just over a year.

24. Jun 12, 2023 at 9:00 PM
    harperspop

harperspop New Member

Member:
  25. Jun 12, 2023 at 9:34 PM
    YetiMtnBkr

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Frederick, MD
    Vehicle:
    2021 LR Pro
    None
    Last Fall my buddy and I hit a trail by Angel Fire, NM which was our first encounter with elevation coming from the east. The next day we rode the South Boundary Trail which is considered to be one of the top trails in NM. We rode the trail east to west from Angel Fire to Taos, but we could not start in Angel Fire due to the prior year's fire damage. That was a big climb, great run thru the Aspens (late Sept with yellow Aspens) and a cool descent with some good tech sections. From Taos we drove to Durango, CO and the scenery through Northern NM was stunning! Beautiful place to be!

We should start a 4R / Mountain Bike thread! Tacoma World is killing us! Their "All Things Bikes and Tacos" thread started in 08/2016 and has 2,255 pages of dialogue. Definitely more soccer moms driving 4R's than Tacos.
    Should it be titled "All things Bikes and 4R's" or something original?
    Don't leave me hanging, going to need pictures and content to gain momentum!

backcountryj likes this.
  26. Jun 12, 2023 at 9:39 PM
    YetiMtnBkr

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Frederick, MD
    Vehicle:
    2021 LR Pro
    None
  27. Jun 13, 2023 at 12:28 PM
    captainSteve

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Toledo, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2023 Lunar rock ORP
    Thank you for adding that 2 cents to my delema on the rest of my 4 runner upcoming tinting, I had not heard that about the ceramic and its luminance, I did hear about the superior heat over normal tint. my Tint guy's shop uses American Standard window film, pretty sure its not ceramic, I did some research before using him/that tint. I'll ask if he has or uses ceramic as well, if you look at the pics I posted above in the sideview, its pretty dark and def does the job on the heat beaming in on the left side on face keeping cool in the sun. but yeah a cool intererior and protection is ideal. thanks again man

Backcountry thanks bud for going out and snapping pics, yeah that looks like great visability out the rear/passenger back windows, bummer on the Wife hogging the 4 runner. booo her. just mod it like you would and eventually it will be yours!!!

backcountryj[QUOTED] likes this.
  28. Jun 16, 2023 at 10:07 AM
    Idayota

Idayota New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2023 OR - Lunar Rock
    Suspension: Dobinsons IMS Struts + Springs. 2.5" front and 2.0" rear Tires: 255/80/17 Toyo Open Country A/T3 E Load

Decided to go with pizza cutters! 255/80 Toyo Open Country AT/3.

42F3230E-6AEE-4F65-81F6-05E6DD3EA2E4.jpg
    4BC3DBDF-B79E-47A4-92B2-728D57CE6E7A.jpg

29. Jun 16, 2023 at 10:32 AM
    YetiMtnBkr

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Frederick, MD
    Vehicle:
    2021 LR Pro
    None
    Toyo OC AT/3 will be my next tire as well. I would like to put that 255/80 size on my stock PRO which is 1" higher in front and has the fender mod, but I don't know if it will rub. Otherwise I will stick with the stock size. I have 39,000 on my original Nitto Grapplers. I should get north of 50,000 on them.

TrailSpecial22 likes this.
  30. Jun 16, 2023 at 11:22 AM
    Idayota

Idayota New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2023 OR - Lunar Rock
    255/80s seem like the perfect option for me after lots (and lots) of reading. If rubbing is going to be an issue you could check out 255/75 as well. 0.5" taller and 0.5" narrower than stock 265s. Plus, there are lots of options at that size.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2023

Products Discussed in

To Top