1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

loving my runner!! question: swapping the IFS from a newer Toyota?

Discussion in '1st Gen 4Runners (1984-1989)' started by jiggie, Dec 28, 2014.

1. Dec 28, 2014 at 11:33 AM
    jiggie

jiggie [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    86 red 4runner
    So we finally got a good snow here in Wyoming and I got to go play finally!!! When I pulled out a dodge that got stuck I fell in love with my little 4 banger yota!! I really need to get a tach tho cause I think I over revved her a few times lol.

Anyhoo there was a newer Toyota truck out with us that didn't have the manual locking hubs on the ifs.he let me play a little in his and it seemed different than mine, maybe different gearing in the t case I dunno. But it was nice that he didn't have to get out and lock his hubs. I've had a whining noise when I'm in 2wd with the hubs locked, but goes away when I unlock them. Since I'm keeping the ifs and need to replace almost all of the parts, ie regear, half shafts, bushings etc. I was thinking of swapping the ifs from a newer Toyota so that way I don't have the manual locking hubs.Thoughts on this?

2. Dec 29, 2014 at 10:29 PM
    BestGen

BestGen Member #57

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Haunted Turnbull Canyon, CA
    Vehicle:
    1988 4Runner XTE 22RE/W56, '93 G144 4.88s, Spartan Locker, AllPro Sliders, OEM 15x6" rims, BFG KM2 33/10.5s, 4Crawler 1.5" BJS, OME 2" Dakar springs, TG rear bumper.
    33"KM2s, 4.88s, Spartan Locker, TG rear bumper, AllPro Kickout sliders, 4Crawler 1.5" BJS, OME 2" Dakar springs.
    You're kidding right? Everybody wants to get rid of the ADD! You're hearing whine because when your hubs are locked and in 2wd you're still turning the axles, driveshaft, and transfer case gear. It's just not getting any power fed to it. And of course your buddy's truck felt different. It is Different! Hell two identical trucks are gonna feel different. You better not let Utah hear u talk about this! He may drive to Wyoming and smack u upside the head!!! :mad:

3. Dec 30, 2014 at 4:55 AM
    Utah

Utah Misanthrope

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Land of Fake Beer
    Vehicle:
    The Gray Bastard
    3RZ, OME, 5.29s, 4.7, locked/locked
    Too fecking cold for that junk, I'll just give him a virtual smack from down here.

Jiggie, it's absolutely doable, but it's much harder than the reverse which is what most people do because anything but manual hubs sucks. You could replace your manual hub lockouts with automatic hubs, which are problematic and frequently leave you stranded in 2WD, but that'd be the easiest way to get rid of your manual setup. You could also convert to the ADD setup, which would be more reliable but much more difficult - you would need the ADD hubs themselves, and the ADD diff tube and half-axle, these things would need installed to your truck which would mean pulling the front diff. You'd also need the vacuum switch and vacuum lines that operate the actuator on the ADD diff tube, and you'd need to install a relay tied to your 4WD indicator lamp or a manual switch toggle or something in order to operate the vacuum switch. It's a complex system, and it relies on vacuum lines which are known to go bad at the worst possible time. There's an entire industry dedicated to making conversion kits so guys can replace their automatic or ADD setups with manual hubs, and you wanna go the other way so you don't have to hear your front diff whining? No offense but that's a horrible horrible idea. Find and fix what's whining (probably your diff gears, check your fluid lately?), then you can leave your hubs locked in all winter like everybody else and not worry about it.

BestGen[QUOTED] likes this.
  4. Dec 30, 2014 at 6:42 PM
    jiggie

jiggie [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    86 red 4runner
    Lol yea it is way to Cold. And thank you for the non physical slap upside the head lol. I thought the only guys going from add to manual were the full width locked loaded and built rigs. I just had all the fluids replaced and the front bearings replaced and everything inspected just about two weeks ago. There was some slop inn the rear drive shaft and they said my rear end might go out soon but that was it other than the repairs I had done. I had a friend suggest swapping out the oem hubs for Warren I think is the name. he said they were the best. I'll leave it manual since I can feel this skull pearcing look from everyone lol. See new guy learning things.

5. Dec 30, 2014 at 6:53 PM
    BestGen

BestGen Member #57

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Haunted Turnbull Canyon, CA
    Vehicle:
    1988 4Runner XTE 22RE/W56, '93 G144 4.88s, Spartan Locker, AllPro Sliders, OEM 15x6" rims, BFG KM2 33/10.5s, 4Crawler 1.5" BJS, OME 2" Dakar springs, TG rear bumper.
    33"KM2s, 4.88s, Spartan Locker, TG rear bumper, AllPro Kickout sliders, 4Crawler 1.5" BJS, OME 2" Dakar springs.
    Good man! Except now your friend needs the slap upside because the factory Aisan hubs are thee absolute BEST there is. It's not that the Warns are bad, they're just not as good as what u already own. Get a rebuild kit in the future and learn even more!

Last edited: Dec 30, 2014
To Top